Bandai Namco Confirmed Developers of Metroid Prime 4

Discussion in 'Switch - Games & Content' started by T-hug, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Xzi

Xzi Virtual Bartman

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    FPS seems to be the one genre where Nintendo is not comfortable developing the games themselves. They've never released their own FPS game AFAIK.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  2. iQue

iQue GBAtemp Regular

Jul 10, 2013
    Didn't they already do that? ...Super Mario Odyssey?? :ha: ...oops my mistake, it just looks like they did!
    SEGA would probably have do a better job!

They make E.A. look good.
    I'm sure there will be Ads in MP4, every time you press a button an Ad will play!!!!!!
    That with there bullshit micro transactions ...and DLC ...even before the game is released ...i'm sure it will turn out well.

3. TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

Dec 1, 2014
    United States
    Under a rock
    Uh... which games are you referring to? Granted, I don't have much experience with Bandai Namco games, but i have played some Dark Souls and enjoyed it a lot...

lexarvn likes this.
  4. Sleet

Sleet GBAtemp Fan

Jan 29, 2008
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if it had a multiplayer mode like Hunters. Nintendo has loved making competitions for their games the past few years.

DarthDub and Xzi like this.
  5. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    I was gonna say Yoshi's Safari would be Nintendo's one foray of developing an FPS game even if it was on rails and for the SNES. However, after looking into it, the developer of the game is actually completely unknown. I bet it's Nintendo themselves and they just distanced themselves from the game since they don't really want to associate Mario with any shooter in this day and age (edit: just remember Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, guess this line of reasoning doesn't really check out anymore). But for whatever reason, who developed Yoshi's Safari is not a known fact shared anywhere online at least as far as I can tell. And I find this to be actually really intriguing.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Where is there precedence for this? Sm4sh and Pokken Tournament are completely ad free.

Last edited by MikaDubbz, Feb 9, 2018
  6. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    What? Are we still talking about Bandai-Namco? Or did I miss something and lose track of the conversation?

Also at this point, no company can make EA look good. Konami is almost there, but still haven't matched yet.

DarthDub, Xzi and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  7. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    So it'd seem that the specific namco studio in charge of that game is based in singapour and is composed of a lot of ex-lucasart employees who worked on Star Wars 1313...

8. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    ^ yep this won't end well...

9. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Star Wars 1313 looked quite exciting and was supposed to star Boba Fett as a main character, it's also closer to an FPS than any other big games Namco has ever produced, I'm not that pessimistic...

DarthDub and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  10. Jonna

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Could have been worse - a developer that worked on Battlefront 2 instead.

11. Don Jon

Don Jon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2015
    United States
    Am I the only one here who was hoping for the team behind Federation Force to be working on Prime 4?

12. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    YES YOU ARE

13. VinsCool

VinsCool Absconditus

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Honestly I'll give them a chance to show us what they have in their inventory.
    I'm honestly really excited to see more of MP4 details. As far as I remember, Retro Studios wasn't really well known until Metroid Prime, and they really did an excellent job for moving a series of 2d platformer into a 3d exploration FPS with a very deep atmosphere.

Let's give them their chance before complaining, until then we will be able to judge.

Jonna and the_randomizer like this.
  14. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    imo it seems retro studio is kinda disbanded or something by now, they havent made a single game since tropical freeze, and not even announced anything.

15. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    This will end very badly. Team Ninja's games have are typically tiers below Zelda in terms of action fluidity and solidness.

16. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2006
    London
    — Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thats true. But will it necessarily be an FPS? What if it is a 3d game but you see the character? *Plot twist* lol (I know they already released hints at it being FPS, just playing with the idea)

17. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    it wouldnt make much sence if they used the prime name and made it a 3rd person game all prime games besides pinbal one were FPS games even federation force, PRIMe means it will be an FPS if not they would use another naming lke metroid otherm, metroid fusion, metroid something.

When you see prime its an FPS.

18. geodeath

geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Oct 26, 2006
    London
    Was just entertaining the idea, i know what you mean and i prefer an FPS too to be honest.

19. Jonna

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Okay, am I seriously missing something? This is now the second person to talk about Team Ninja when we're talking about Bandai Namco.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  20. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Feb 19, 2014
    Canada
    If it's made by say from software(dev of dark souls, still not owned by Bandai Namco, and the game is published by Nintendo), that's not a huge problem. But this is team Ninja, who make stuff like Dynasty warriors. Even Ninja Gaiden dom't feel super solid. Anyway the last thing we need is flashy move and inprecise hits.
    Remember despite the unnecessary praise OOT has the solidness of a platformer.

Last edited by Yil, Feb 13, 2018