Hacking Baka & Test Portable - English Translation Project

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a few days, so I'd just like to share some progress on what has been done so far. I've run into a few problems, but things are moving pretty smoothly.

NPJH50680_00038.png

So, apart from not being able to find where the Japanese text in the above image is stored, I've run into an issue with the text for the Checkpoints. The text is stored in this image:

1160-4.png

In this case, the text in the bottom left gets stretched out to look like this:
NPJH50680_00034.png

As you can see, the difference in color and size is significant, as simply typing new text over it produces something like this:
NPJH50680_00027.png

Here, I tried to replace the top line of text with "H.S.", and as you can see, it turned out pretty distorted. So, I'm not really sure what to do. I had to hand-color the image to produce the result in the first image, but even that turned out iffy.

If anyone has encountered something similar in another game, could you please let me in on how you managed to work around it?

Reactions: kagekyo and Hargrun

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you look in pr.bin for the graphics you can't find? (I assume you checked everything in union.cpk already.) There's a rare chance that the game might store graphic in eboot.bin, but I think pr.bin is more possible. (If the graphic is compressed, it should be compressed in similar way as the union.cpk graphics.)

Reactions: Hargrun

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, regarding the graphics I couldn't find, I still can't find them. Obviously they're somewhere, but if they're image based, they're probably in the union.cpk. Most of the texture files that I've found so far have been over ID01000, but the aforementioned text was not in there. I'll keep looking.

On another note, however, I did check the pr.bin, and found a great deal of menu related text. I cannot, however, figure out how to edit it without it becoming scrambled (but readable) in the game. I know I'm doing something wrong, but what I do is export the part I want to edit, edit it in gimp, then import it back over the original. It's probably something simple, but I'm not very familiar with CrystalTile2, so I'm probably overlooking something. Here is an example of what I mean:

NPJH50680_00018.png

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CrystalTile2 isn't a proper program to use for PSP image editing since it doesn't support transparency. (I still haven't learned how to deal with image transparencies yet, so I don't know of other programs that I can recommend.)

Anyway, if you really need to use CrystalTile2, try to stick with plain colors. I mean, don't use anti-alias when you type your text. Stick with 1 color for the text and maybe another color for the outline, etc. Use the dropper tool to pick colors from the original image.

From your picture, I guessed you used grayscale palette and edit your text using anti-alias. Since grayscale palette only gives you an idea of what the picture looks like, but it's not the real palette that is used in the game. When you edit something in grayscale, the color can be off when it appears in the game.

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The text in the image that you were looking for might be stored as text in Eboot.bin. In my game, there are a bunch of text in there which used the same encoding table as the dialog text.

So if you can't find the text in image as image, check Eboot.bin for text too.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have some great news!
1) The "missing text" was indeed in the EBOOT.bin. Unfortunately, with this comes the limitation of space. This will have to be worked around somehow. But for now:
NPJH50680_00065.png

2) User Tamekichi has joined the team as a translator! Now things can really get rolling. However, I'm still looking for another translator or two to help balance out the workload. Please PM me if you're interested. Progress on script translation will be updated periodically in the OP.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news, and bad news. The good news is that the first drafts of the prologue's translation are complete! They'll go through a couple revisions, and then be inserted into the game. The downside, however, is that while attempting to put the script back into the ISO, the script file became too large, and the game crashed upon loading the prologue. I am currently unsure of how to remedy this issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good news, and bad news. The good news is that the first drafts of the prologue's translation are complete! They'll go through a couple revisions, and then be inserted into the game. The downside, however, is that while attempting to put the script back into the ISO, the script file became too large, and the game crashed upon loading the prologue. I am currently unsure of how to remedy this issue. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

The sub-files in sc.cpk have their offsets and sizes listed in Eboot.bin. You'll need to update them too.
(The filesizes are listed as size/2048. Ex. if your file is 12,288 bytes, it'll be listed as 0x0006.)

It'll look like 00 00 06 00 06 00 xx xx... and so on in the Eboot.bin. (2 bytes offset, 2 bytes filesize.) You can pick the first few files in your sc.cpk and search for these values. Then you can write a program to update these values automatically. (You need to locate where it is in Eboot.bin first.)

Another problem that you might encounter is there might be a fixed buffer size for the script file. If your filesize exceed that value, the script will overwrite some important codes in the game. (In this case, you'll need ASM hacking to adjust the buffer size.) But I think if it's the prologue, it shouldn't be this problem and updating offsets and filesizes in Eboot.bin should fix it.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks! I tried it and it worked just as you explained it. The program I wrote is a bit... shoddy. But it works well enough that I can do what I need. Hopefully, I'll be able to make a demo video to show what we've done so far, even with the limitations we've had.

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, this game has a lot of graphics-based text. Fortunately, most of it's not too difficult to edit. I just finished this image, though I'm probably going to end up changing it a bit:

1074.png

The hardest part about this image was cleaning it to get rid of the Japanese text. Still, it was much easier than the options menu, where the text had to line up perfectly:
1149.png
1149.png

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a few weeks, so I thought that I'd give a little update. Translation has been coming along quite nicely, thanks to Tamekichi.

On the insertion part of the project, however, an issue has arisen. While the script had grown before, and I was able to modify the EBOOT to accommodate the new offsets and sizes, I have reached a point where the script has grown considerably in size, and crashes the game upon loading of the prologue. Via chapter select, the other scenes work fine, which leads me to believe that I may have finally exceeded the file buffer size limit. As such, I'll have to look into seeing what I can do to either shorten the script, and/or expand the buffer size.

That said, however, the board-game portion of the game is working just fine with what has been translated up to this point.

Reactions: kagekyo

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
Well good luck with this
I just saw this post this week and I saw it also has 2 seasons of anmie soi just thought id watch the ammie then play this when you complete it.

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
It's been a few weeks, so I thought that I'd give a little update. Translation has been coming along quite nicely, thanks to Tamekichi.

On the insertion part of the project, however, an issue has arisen. While the script had grown before, and I was able to modify the EBOOT to accommodate the new offsets and sizes, I have reached a point where the script has grown considerably in size, and crashes the game upon loading of the prologue. Via chapter select, the other scenes work fine, which leads me to believe that I may have finally exceeded the file buffer size limit. As such, I'll have to look into seeing what I can do to either shorten the script, and/or expand the buffer size.

That said, however, the board-game portion of the game is working just fine with what has been translated up to this point.

When can we expect a release 2015?
Mid end or beginning of it

FShadow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At the moment, it is far to early to give any estimates of when the patch will be done. All I can say is that it'll be done when it's done. Trust me, I want this patch maybe more than anybody else, but these things take time. It's best to be patient, check the thread occasionally, and just accept it.

Everybody involved in this project, myself included, has a private life in the real world that they must attend to first. Some of us also have other projects that they're working on, so I hope you can understand when I say that we can't devote 100% of our time to making a translation patch for such an obscure game.

On another note:
The translations for the Prologue is complete, and Akihisa Yoshii's storyline is almost complete. That said, we will not be releasing a patch until the entire game is translated. I don't want to jeopardize the project by release an incomplete patch and having it distributed. It would also make debugging quite a pain, making sure that people are running the same version and whatnot. If, for some reason, this patch ever does get cancelled, I plan to release all the translated resources and scripts. But let's hope it doesn't come to that. Anyway, work is continuing at a steady pace, so I'll be sure to keep you guys posted about our progress.

Abu_Senpai

Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
At the moment, it is far to early to give any estimates of when the patch will be done. All I can say is that it'll be done when it's done. Trust me, I want this patch maybe more than anybody else, but these things take time. It's best to be patient, check the thread occasionally, and just accept it.

Everybody involved in this project, myself included, has a private life in the real world that they must attend to first. Some of us also have other projects that they're working on, so I hope you can understand when I say that we can't devote 100% of our time to making a translation patch for such an obscure game.

On another note:
The translations for the Prologue is complete, and Akihisa Yoshii's storyline is almost complete. That said, we will not be releasing a patch until the entire game is translated. I don't want to jeopardize the project by release an incomplete patch and having it distributed. It would also make debugging quite a pain, making sure that people are running the same version and whatnot. If, for some reason, this patch ever does get cancelled, I plan to release all the translated resources and scripts. But let's hope it doesn't come to that. Anyway, work is continuing at a steady pace, so I'll be sure to keep you guys posted about our progress.

I appreciate your honesty and feedback please understand that I understand.
You and your team are busy
I wish you all the best but all I ask is some screen shots or monthly progress reports if possible

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Although even if it's the steam deck and a 1TB MicroSD I would still recommend building it...