Gaming BAD CHARGING PORT on dsi

nickwild6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone got any experiance with removing and replacing the charging port on a dsi
I'm thinking of attempting it

Ozito

Who you gonna call?
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I don't know if you already have done the repair but on this page http://surugi.com/projects/DSLiteUSB.html the guy desolders the charging port of an DSL.

He writes that it would be easier to cut off the pins of the old port.
Doing that you only have to remove the remaining pins without having to fiddle around to much.

Good luck if you still haven't done anything!

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just make sure if you do take the Ds apart that you use a wriststrap so that the static doesn't ruin the board.
Or just make sure you work on a static proof surface. A counter or something.

I dont know how much different a DSL is from a DSi but there might be some simulations you could draw from the DSL teardown vids.

nickwild6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks everyone for th tips and input....we ended up trying to do it and ruined the dsi xl....called nintendo and they have taken it and for $65 fixed it and gave me a new 1 yr warranty should receive it today

nickwild6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well an update....recieved my unit back and they did not repair it........now they say they dont repair tampered units.......the first guy I talked to ago two weeks ago told me it was not a problem and that they would fix it or replace it no matter what....so they wasted my time for two weeks...oh well

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What's the damage, exactly?

And while you're at it, you might as well replace the standard DS charging port with a miniUSB - it's more convenient that way and easy to install.

nickwild6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well my son in law tried to replace the old ds charging port......i.e. take out the old one and install a new one but he couldnt get it to solder properly and probably applied to much heat to get it soldered

another update: i found a company on ebay that has tons of ds parts... screens.... motherboards everything....they also will fix dsi xl 100% garantee with 60 day warrantee for $69 and dsi for $45...even its a water damage problem...there located in NY and shipping back to you is included...not bad for a toasted ds

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nickwild6, if you're talking about waku7 (i think the name of their business is New York Game Console) they are top-notch. I've bought refurbishment services from them for DSL and bought refurbished consoles from them. Really fast service (at least for DSL). It made me think they just replaced my unit and kept the parts from my old one.
They also handled a special request by email for a small charge (I wanted a special, brand-new housing on my refurb DSL which I had sent in for having a bad Slot 1).

nickwild6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nickwild6, if you're talking about waku7 (i think the name of their business is New York Game Console) they are top-notch. I've bought refurbishment services from them for DSL and bought refurbished consoles from them. Really fast service (at least for DSL). It made me think they just replaced my unit and kept the parts from my old one.
They also handled a special request by email for a small charge (I wanted a special, brand-new housing on my refurb DSL which I had sent in for having a bad Slot 1).
no thats not the ebay user I was refering to but Im glad you made me aware of the one you suggested....the one I was refering to is (bigneighbor) but be aware I have done no business with them yet

nickwild6

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well Now I'm sending my dsi xl to waku7...they said they would rebuild my xl and include all parts and labor for $55 with a 30 day warrantee and shipping included

thanks exangel for the help

Reactions: exangel

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Y @ YuseiFD: :creep: