1. Huntereb

OP Huntereb GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I've tested sending hundreds of files to Awoo Installer with the original Tinfoil python script and it works fine, so this might be a NS-USBloader issue. In the meantime, it's very easy to select maybe half of the files you're attempting to install, and install them in separate batches.

If you're installing over USB, make sure you're updated to the latest version of NS-USBloader. Previous versions have issues with NSZ installations. We've installed countless personal NSZ files of varying sizes on the latest version without a hitch.

2. GnK23

GnK23 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    yes im using the latest one. 0.9.1 some nsz work but most don't

3. duckbill007

duckbill007 GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    What issues can have NS-USBloader? It just sends file content. It does not process files at all. Just open, seek to desired offset and send requested number of bytes to awoo. So, all issues can be on switch side.

Also - the filelist it just the same as file. CLOB of data, much less in size than 1Mb.

4. ModderFokker619

ModderFokker619 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I only have 7 DLC and everything installs fine

I can install super xci / nsp or individually

Maybe the 50+ limit

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  5. Huntereb

United States
    Try installing the file over LAN or from your SD card. We've had issues with NSZ installs over USB in the past, and I've yet to hear anyone else complain about NSZ installations on 1.3.0 until just recently.

That's a very incorrect assumption. Please see the latest changelogs for NS-USBloader. We've had issues exclusively over USB in the past due to a timing issue causing invalid data to be sent PC-side.

mikifantastik98 likes this.
  6. mikifantastik98

mikifantastik98 GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    blawar who? :sleep:

7. duckbill007

Russia
    As I know switch always read data via USB by full packet. If it want to read less data than there are in buffer, extra bytes are dropped.
    On PC side libusb raises an exception in this case (at least 0.1 at linux and mac, thats why adubbz fixes his python script for mac (see in his repo)).

If I correct understand goldleaf/quark usb code it always tries to read full packet (512 bytes for usb2, other for 1.1 and 3.0), then breaks by timeout and analyze actual read bytes. This way it gets lower speed, but no data loss.

Just checked how NS-USBloader sends file list: if sends header, then length, then actual list. All in separate writeUsb calls. I have no idea how these separate calls are wrapped into usb packets. Maybe some are glued together. If size and data are goes to the same packet, then start of data will be lost if switch will read only size and data on next read call.

So, I think awoo should always try to read full packets and create its own buffered pipe for USB in endpoint.

8. Huntereb

United States
    Awoo Installer reads that data as a single packet, it just waits for all of the expected data to be received. If it doesn't get the data within a certain time limit it will kick you back to the main menu, or present an incomplete list of files.

I'll look into this in the coming days, I'm sure it's probably something simple.

9. duckbill007

Russia
    No it is not.
    First it reads header:
    https://github.com/Huntereb/Awoo-Installer/blob/1.3.0/source/usbInstall.cpp#L54
    And right after that it reads data:
    https://github.com/Huntereb/Awoo-Installer/blob/1.3.0/source/usbInstall.cpp#L68

NS-USBloader sends all of this as separate calls to USB write, but not do any flashes, so, technically start of data can be in the same usb packet as end of header. In this case awoo will read header, lose start of data, read end of data, will wait for more data (which is not) and catch timeout.

10. Huntereb

United States
    The problem is unrelated to the initial header packet, as it's always the same size. The problem is when receiving the larger second packet containing the list of file names. Both of these are read as a "single packet". From what @developer_su has told me, this is likely related to memory alignment. Fortunately it's an easy fix.

And as I've said before, feel free to submit a PR if you have the ability to figure out any issues you run across. :)

developer_su likes this.
  11. duckbill007

Russia
    OK. You know your code better. Yes, header and file list are read into unaligned memory and this can easily be fixed.

I just wonder, why problem occurs at ~50 filenames. For usb 1.1 packet size is 64 bytes, for USB 2 - 512, for USB 3 - 1024. All are way smaller than 50 filenames, which is around 2.5-3K.

Also I tried on USB2 and USB3 ports. Error occurs with the same file count not related to packet size.

12. Crusard

Crusard GBAtemp Regular

i just tried out. Simple and fast.
    I really like NSP bulk installs.
    USB speeds:
    - NSP: 33-41MB (Good speed)
    - NSZ 16-25MB (Ok Speed)
    No errors over 10 NSZ installed.

Very good alternative to Goldleaf.

Good Work @Huntereb , keep going!

Huntereb likes this.
  13. Huntereb

United States
    I've just committed the memory alignment fix. I am able to send 250+ NSP files with NS-USBloader on Windows 10, and install them just fine.

https://github.com/Huntereb/Awoo-Installer/commit/fd2cfd29d95609bd248ef95521f6b251b44a0a1a

developer_su and hippy dave like this.
  14. duckbill007

Russia
    OK. With this fix it is definitely better. But one time of 4-5 tries it still fail to get list.

15. Pluupy

Pluupy _(:3」∠)_

United States
    How do you change the splash?

16. JJTapia19

JJTapia19 I fight for my friends.

Puerto Rico
    Every time I open the app I get a light blue screen and my emunand gets locked. I need to hard turn off. Does someone know what cause this?

17. blawar

blawar Developer
    Developer

United States
    Your GF is trying to tell you that you are having a boy.

JJTapia19 likes this.
  18. alexj9626

alexj9626 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Panama
    Using SXOS?

19. Yakov123

Yakov123 Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    Neat release!

20. glencoe2004

glencoe2004 Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    It's fucking XorTroll, man. His rabid anti-SXOS and blawar hatred should be well known by now.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Installer, Installer, Bullshit