CFW woes, need some help doing it right from scratch.

Chromagram

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everyone.

For a while, I've had my Switch running CFW with pretty close to no issues. Here and there, some titles would start popping out corrupt error messages, but a reinstall would fix them. However, after a somewhat recent typical sigpatches update, a whole sprew of new issues have arisen, to the point where I really just think I never 100% installed it properly. Some of my friends with modded Switch consoles tell me they never run across any single error longer term, but I always did.

So anyways, what I'd like to do is erase everything as factory settings and just start the CFW again to make sure I do it all right. I'm restarting streams soon, so I'll be playing games from scratch regardless and don't need any additional considerations for save files and such either. My list of things I want to use are below, along with my first attempt and what problems happened.

The Attempt

• I erased my entire SD card to a fresh FAT32 format using macOS and its Disk Utility.
  • I tried to run an "Initialize Console" to make sure things are 100% clean, and I kept having errors. I had to install another .nro to disconnect my user account from Nintendo ID's servers, but eventually the initialize console was successful.
  • After that, on the fresh card, I installed the newest release of Atmosphere first,, followed by hekate and the newest sigpatches.

The Problems

• Problem 1 from the get-go was that my Switch no longer boots back to sysnand when not jigged and primed for RCM. "Power Off" in the Switch interface just powers the console off, and without the jig, if you power up again, it will stay black until you load a payload. Before the issues, if I didn't jig the system, the Switch would just boot into the normal sysnand. However, it now always boots into RCM, and you have to re-inject a payload to start doing anything.
  • No matter what avenues I have tried (Tinfoil, AIO Updater, Switch's own UI, etc.), firmware updates don't cooperate at the moment. It just gives a generic error and asks me to turn off the system. It just is stuck on 10.0.2.
  • Worst part is, none of the USB loaders work properly anymore. Being on Mac, I use NS-USBLoader.jar, which has always worked well with Awoo Installer. However now, after much annoyance, Awoo Installer errors often, but some titles install like normal. Goldleaf just flat out does not work, crashing the Switch to a black screen when trying to install any titles.

The Requirement

The following bullet points will make up what I'd like CFW to install correctly and with close to no issues loading it on Switch.

• Easy to update state. I'd like to get back to where the Switch handles CFW itself, not with constant hiccups.
• Reboot to Paylooad works as intended, but I'd like it that if you shut the console off and power back on normally, it boots into sysnand by itself, and not require new inject of hekate to get it rolling.
• Whatever setup is required, I'm happy to update sigpatches, but once that's done, titles should recognize USB uploads, install with minimal issues no matter the format (have a healthy mix of NSZ/NSP/XCI files).
• I'd also like to prevent the constant annoying pop-ups of "Update Software" appearing frequently when trying to launch anything. It would just keep annoying me about game and firmware updates, and I just want to install once and leave it until I personally feel like installing an update myself.

So where can I start? Is there a best guide to use for November 2022? And my Switch as a whole definitely needs the best way to erase EVERYTHING back to factory settings because it continues to cause issues into my CFW. I'd love some advice on starting with a full factory reset of my Switch, and then what option is best to get back up and rolling and not have to think about anything.

Thanks in advance! I'll have a look at whatever is the generally accepted best method to factory reset a CFW Switch and set it back up on CFW to eliminate all problems.

Reactions: SylverReZ

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone.

For a while, I've had my Switch running CFW with pretty close to no issues. Here and there, some titles would start popping out corrupt error messages, but a reinstall would fix them. However, after a somewhat recent typical sigpatches update, a whole sprew of new issues have arisen, to the point where I really just think I never 100% installed it properly. Some of my friends with modded Switch consoles tell me they never run across any single error longer term, but I always did.

So anyways, what I'd like to do is erase everything as factory settings and just start the CFW again to make sure I do it all right. I'm restarting streams soon, so I'll be playing games from scratch regardless and don't need any additional considerations for save files and such either. My list of things I want to use are below, along with my first attempt and what problems happened.

The Attempt

• I erased my entire SD card to a fresh FAT32 format using macOS and its Disk Utility.
  • I tried to run an "Initialize Console" to make sure things are 100% clean, and I kept having errors. I had to install another .nro to disconnect my user account from Nintendo ID's servers, but eventually the initialize console was successful.
  • After that, on the fresh card, I installed the newest release of Atmosphere first,, followed by hekate and the newest sigpatches.

The Problems

• Problem 1 from the get-go was that my Switch no longer boots back to sysnand when not jigged and primed for RCM. "Power Off" in the Switch interface just powers the console off, and without the jig, if you power up again, it will stay black until you load a payload. Before the issues, if I didn't jig the system, the Switch would just boot into the normal sysnand. However, it now always boots into RCM, and you have to re-inject a payload to start doing anything.
  • No matter what avenues I have tried (Tinfoil, AIO Updater, Switch's own UI, etc.), firmware updates don't cooperate at the moment. It just gives a generic error and asks me to turn off the system. It just is stuck on 10.0.2.
  • Worst part is, none of the USB loaders work properly anymore. Being on Mac, I use NS-USBLoader.jar, which has always worked well with Awoo Installer. However now, after much annoyance, Awoo Installer errors often, but some titles install like normal. Goldleaf just flat out does not work, crashing the Switch to a black screen when trying to install any titles.

The Requirement

The following bullet points will make up what I'd like CFW to install correctly and with close to no issues loading it on Switch.

• Easy to update state. I'd like to get back to where the Switch handles CFW itself, not with constant hiccups.
• Reboot to Paylooad works as intended, but I'd like it that if you shut the console off and power back on normally, it boots into sysnand by itself, and not require new inject of hekate to get it rolling.
• Whatever setup is required, I'm happy to update sigpatches, but once that's done, titles should recognize USB uploads, install with minimal issues no matter the format (have a healthy mix of NSZ/NSP/XCI files).
• I'd also like to prevent the constant annoying pop-ups of "Update Software" appearing frequently when trying to launch anything. It would just keep annoying me about game and firmware updates, and I just want to install once and leave it until I personally feel like installing an update myself.

So where can I start? Is there a best guide to use for November 2022? And my Switch as a whole definitely needs the best way to erase EVERYTHING back to factory settings because it continues to cause issues into my CFW. I'd love some advice on starting with a full factory reset of my Switch, and then what option is best to get back up and rolling and not have to think about anything.

Thanks in advance! I'll have a look at whatever is the generally accepted best method to factory reset a CFW Switch and set it back up on CFW to eliminate all problems.
Answered over here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-noob-paradise-ask-questions-here.488277/page-1805#post-10005286

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Oh boy here we go