Hardware Awesome Dell customer service

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My dad told me this the other day. A lady he works with placed an order for a Dell laptop. She wanted 1 gig of RAM and Vista Home edition. The sales guy told her she would want 2 gigs or RAM, but she said that since it's only Vista Home edition, she only wanted 1 gig. So the order was placed and she checked the status of it in a few days online. She saw that they were sending her Windows XP. She called them up and the sales guy said, well, I knew you wouldn't be happy with Vista's performance on 1 gig of RAM so I changed it to XP for you.

That's all I know of the story so far.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd just call and say "JUST GIVE ME WHAT I ASK FOR!!"

I've got a dell laptop that i got on ebay, no problems whatsoever
biggrin.gif

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
Should have just given the stupid woman the Vista and the 1 Gig of RAM and just laugh in her face when she complains about the speed.

Prime

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Should have just given the stupid woman the Vista and the 1 Gig of RAM and just laugh in her face when she complains about the speed.

Well, I've said this to many people and still stick with it. Vista will work smoothly with 1GB of RAM.

My sister has been working with Vista for over 5 months with only 1GB of RAM and she has had to problems.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country

Well, I've said this to many people and still stick with it. Vista will work smoothly with 1GB of RAM.

My sister has been working with Vista for over 5 months with only 1GB of RAM and she has had to problems.

Depends on the computer, or what the computer is used for, I guess, I know loads of people who've been complaining about slow speeds with their laptops with Vista and 1 Gig of RAM.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
That's terrible! How do Dell know she's hasn't already got some laying around and she's not gonna whack an extra gig in there when they're not looking? Appauling!

Icarus

fire walk with me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why is she complaining? I have 2 gigs of ram and I feel like that's barely enough for Vista. Seriously, Dell made her a favor because I'm sure she was going to call them again about how slow Vista works on her computer if they installed it.

Fact, if you want Vista, you need at least 2gb of RAM !!

dexmix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seriously. not a fan of Vista's performance.

i had a new laptop that i was using for tuning my car - it only had to crash on me twice for me to go back to XP. i dont need to waste my time with a new OS. XP does everything i need to, and fast. (only with 1GB ram)

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A) For what she'd be using it for and the fact that it's Vista Home edition and not Ultimate, 1 gig is plenty.

B) Even if 1 gig isn't enough, it is not Dell's decision to just change what you ordered. How'd you like it if you ordered a game from me and I was like, pffft, I don't like that game. I'm gonna send you this one instead.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
While I have tweaked it, I have Vista on my laptop with only 1 gig of ram and at the moment (it is only running uTorrent as any extra application) is only using 300meg of ram (and I have the Superfetch service running too).

jgu1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We ordered a laptop from dell a week ago that had a 128 mb nivda geforce graphics card, when it came, it checked it, and it was 256 mbs.

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
A) For what she'd be using it for and the fact that it's Vista Home edition and not Ultimate, 1 gig is plenty
That's exactly it. I hate how everyone has this "bigger is better" attitude to computers. Better to get a PC that does what you need it to and save some money than waste cash on a ridiculously fast setup that you're never going to come anywhere near pushing it to it's limits.

You also have to consider what she's upgrading from. My aunt's running an 9 year old Toshiba on Windows 98... or possibly 95. Either way Vista on 1GB of RAM would be like a speeding bullet compared to that.

jumpman17

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A) For what she'd be using it for and the fact that it's Vista Home edition and not Ultimate, 1 gig is plentyThat's exactly it. I hate how everyone has this "bigger is better" attitude to computers. Better to get a PC that does what you need it to and save some money than waste cash on a ridiculously fast setup that you're never going to come anywhere near pushing it to it's limits.

You also have to consider what she's upgrading from. My aunt's running an 9 year old Toshiba on Windows 98... or possibly 95. Either way Vista on 1GB of RAM would be like a speeding bullet compared to that.

I had a lady come in to Staples after Vista came out and she wanted to upgrade (buy a new computer) as she was still running Windows 3.1

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've got a laptop that's running vista premium. Its got 1gb of memory but its shared with the graphics. Never had any problems with it. Vista runs fine on 1gb.

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Vista will run fine on 1GB for the most part. Depends on how many program are running though. Don't even try it on 512MB though. I have Vista running inside a Virtual Machine running with 768MB assigned to it and it runs fine. Of course Aero isn't running but it reports only 33% of the memory being used.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Faust03 @ Faust03: hey the spam bots are acting up again