Auto RCM and a dead battery

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The battery might just be dead, I would try to replace it before doing anything else.

Thanks yes i will be

How long are the batteries supposed to last? This console is from 2017

It does sound like the battery is totally dead

I had a quick look online on how to replace it
Looks fairly easy, but there are different screws and they actually glue the battery down to the console
That might prove tricky.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Since you mention you have kids, I would suggest to stop using autoRCM. It's fine when you're the only user of the console, but if someone else hit that power button behind your back, and then just leave the Switch like that, the battery will deplete completely. Also, don't throw away your console! It's just a battery problem. Worst case scenario, bring it to a phone repair shop. Tell them you want a new battery installed. I'm sure they can source a Switch battery easily. Tell them about the autoRCM situation, so they don't think the new battery doesn't work.

Reactions: SylverReZ and Psd99

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What @linuxares said, I think your batts could be dead. How old is the switch and how often is it used?

it is from 2017
i just bought it on ebay a few months back

used recently quite a bit

im told it went from 5% to totally dead and since then never turned on. the best i have seen of it since is a red battery icon on the top left hand corner and not the top right
never got it working since, ive ordered a new battery im just worried that it isnt the battery and its something else. but signs tell me it is probably the battery.
Post automatically merged:

well i just opened up the switch and disconnected the battery, then i connected my usb c cable to the pc

funnily enough windows still thinks a device is being connected and says "not enough power" i cant get my head around that but

so perhaps the battery is just totally dead.

Last edited by Psd99,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
it is from 2017
i just bought it on ebay a few months back

used recently quite a bit

im told it went from 5% to totally dead and since then never turned on. the best i have seen of it since is a red battery icon on the top left hand corner and not the top right
never got it working since, ive ordered a new battery im just worried that it isnt the battery and its something else. but signs tell me it is probably the battery.

well i just opened up the switch and disconnected the battery, then i connected my usb c cable to the pc

funnily enough windows still thinks a device is being connected and says "not enough power" i cant get my head around that but

so perhaps the battery is just totally dead.
Yepp! Sounds like the battery is just worn out. Thankfully it's super easy to change!

If you're from the US ifixit got all the stuff you need basically

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yepp! Sounds like the battery is just worn out. Thankfully it's super easy to change!

If you're from the US ifixit got all the stuff you need basically

Thanks uk, i managed to have a switch tool kit already so its helpful.

I ordered the battery. But today i opened up the console its about 12 diff sized screws
So i drew them out on paper to know where they need to go back

The memory card adapter is quite fiddly
Im worried it might not work again as it is not easy to know if the chip on the adapter has met the actual chip on the motherboard.

and of course the battery is glued down to the console

Reading online it suggests using a hair drayer gently and then it will help the removal

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks uk, i managed to have a switch tool kit already so its helpful.

I ordered the battery. But today i opened up the console its about 12 diff sized screws
So i drew them out on paper to know where they need to go back

The memory card adapter is quite fiddly
Im worried it might not work again as it is not easy to know if the chip on the adapter has met the actual chip on the motherboard.

and of course the battery is glued down to the console

Reading online it suggests using a hair drayer gently and then it will help the removal
yeah the sd card adapter is scary as hell to pop out, but being careful is all you need.
Yes you can heat it a little bit with a hairdryer but normally just use PLASTIC prying tools to get a corner up and start slowly peeling it out.

What you also can do is to "heat it" a bit and then isopropyl alcohol you drop under the battery to get the glue to dissipate

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks yes i will be

How long are the batteries supposed to last? This console is from 2017

It does sound like the battery is totally dead

I had a quick look online on how to replace it
Looks fairly easy, but there are different screws and they actually glue the battery down to the console
That might prove tricky.

Check Hekate battery capacity full and capacity design info first.

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Check Hekate battery capacity full and capacity design info first.
U cant do that on a dead console?!

yeah the sd card adapter is scary as hell to pop out, but being careful is all you need.
Yes you can heat it a little bit with a hairdryer but normally just use PLASTIC prying tools to get a corner up and start slowly peeling it out.

What you also can do is to "heat it" a bit and then isopropyl alcohol you drop under the battery to get the glue to dissipate

Thanks i got all of them plastic tools

The memory card worries me im not sure it is reconnected properly
guess i wont know till i do the full battery replacement.

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This happened to me once, I had to charge from wall and then quickly connect to to pc and load a payload. If I didnt quickly swap, my pc would never see my switch.

Reactions: Psd99

Evildood

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thread tldr. Did you push the payload again from the pc with the black screen ? Make sure you have the correct versions sometimes autorcm gets funky after some updating of all the different stuff. Say you have the fusee 1.5 on the sd card that's the one you need to push to it. Basically hold the power down for about 30 seconds then plug it in to the pc and load up tegrarcmgui (search here ?) In the second or 3rd tab there is the option to mount the SD card from pc. From here you can either copy the fusee or w.e the payload you use is to the pc and then hard reset by holding power for 20-30 seconds it will pop up in the main Tegrarcmgui tab and from there click folder find the copy and push OR just take this opportunity to update to the latest atmosphere and fusee by following the standard instructions or your favorite aio package don't forget sigpatches or nothing will load. If you have issues afterwards make sure you delete the theme folder if your using one. I think if you look at my old posts I've helped someone with that issue before.
Also make sure you use a decent USB cable 90% of the cables out there are crap and lack a resistor critical to function correctly you need a cable that can provide power and data the cables that come with the pro controller and OFFICIAL Samsung cables work. One last thing is when you set you switch up you installed some apx device drivers or something like that if you're not on old pc or w.e and you recently reinstalled all that and set that driver up you actually do need to restart the pc for it to see the switch in some stuff. I'm trying to cover the bases my switch has done this before and I struggled to find the solution only to realize after fixing it that I was trying to push an old payload resulting in more blackscreens I was terrified I would have to replace my battery too but nope still going strong 4 ot 5 softbricks later, literally just pulled mine out today and it was dead didn't bother, immediately got the files for atmosphere and hopped on the pc. Side note fresh manual installation on sd card is delete everything except the nintendo folder.

Last edited by Evildood,
Reactions: Psd99

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thread tldr. Did you push the payload again from the pc with the black screen ? Make sure you have the correct versions sometimes autorcm gets funky after some updating of all the different stuff. Say you have the fusee 1.5 on the sd card that's the one you need to push to it. Basically hold the power down for about 30 seconds then plug it in to the pc and load up tegrarcmgui (search here ?) In the second or 3rd tab there is the option to mount the SD card from pc. From here you can either copy the fusee or w.e the payload you use is to the pc and then hard reset by holding power for 20-30 seconds it will pop up in the main Tegrarcmgui tab and from there click folder find the copy and push OR just take this opportunity to update to the latest atmosphere and fusee by following the standard instructions or your favorite aio package don't forget sigpatches or nothing will load. If you have issues afterwards make sure you delete the theme folder if your using one. I think if you look at my old posts I've helped someone with that issue before.
Also make sure you use a decent USB cable 90% of the cables out there are crap and lack a resistor critical to function correctly you need a cable that can provide power and data the cables that come with the pro controller and OFFICIAL Samsung cables work. One last thing is when you set you switch up you installed some apx device drivers or something like that if you're not on old pc or w.e and you recently reinstalled all that and set that driver up you actually do need to restart the pc for it to see the switch in some stuff. I'm trying to cover the bases my switch has done this before and I struggled to find the solution only to realize after fixing it that I was trying to push an old payload resulting in more blackscreens I was terrified I would have to replace my battery too but nope still going strong 4 ot 5 softbricks later, literally just pulled mine out today and it was dead didn't bother, immediately got the files for atmosphere and hopped on the pc. Side note fresh manual installation on sd card is delete everything except the nintendo folder.
thanks I will give this a go

I have another switch that works, I turned that off and I was able to push a payload to that successfully. that proves that the problem is on the faulty switch itself surely?

also how would the mount option help me here out of interest?

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Battery did not work

absoletly seething with anger as my Mrs decided to replace the battery herself it and she has messed everything up as some of the screws will no longer come out and some are and are missing grrr woman eh really annoying stuck her oar in where it isn't needed!!!

how do I even know the battery is connected properly etc i cant trust that im trying to take a look now! I had a paper sheet out and all of the screws labelled in each box etc im used to this kind of thing.

anyway looks like I need to replace the whole switch now with a 512GB memory card loaded with games. whats the easiest way to copy all of this stuff over to a replacement switch that is also modded? or do I need to start from scratch again

I got backups of everything from the broken switch can I use them to restore and keep the memory card the same? I'm going to look on ebay tonight smh what a mess.

• Haha
Reactions: SylverReZ

jcmochis

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hello, any news on this issue? I have exactly same issue, switch with auto RCM completelly dead after not using/charging for a month

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @rqkaiju2, happy early birthday +1