Attention: New Wii brickers may be popping up

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Trash_Bandatcoot, Aug 10, 2019.

1. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Trash_Bandatcoot A Nintendo DSi-madman (and yet he doesn’t code)

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Post trashed. It's time to stop giving this guy what he wants:
    ATTENTION.

Just don't install garbage onto your Wii from people you don't know. Let alone, the mods from Wiibrew, RC24, anything you can name are already informed. Little to no precausion is needed.

Last edited by Trash_Bandatcoot, Sep 9, 2019
  2. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Born in '04, living in '96.

May 4, 2018
    United States
    What do people have to gain from doing this?

scroeffie1984 and dreamymario521 like this.
  3. ROllerGuy

ROllerGuy Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2018
    Antarctica
    Nothing other than attention.

4. UltraSUPRA

UltraSUPRA Born in '04, living in '96.

May 4, 2018
    United States
    Then I'll make a homebrew Zelda fan game for the Wii that replaces Priloader with a static image that says "Please subscribe to Fish activation for memes and junk.", if all publicity is good publicity like Frutre3 thinks. </sarcasm>

BetterDuck likes this.
  5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Looking through the dol file for "suspicious code" is easier said than done. You need to be pretty skilled at reverse engineering for that.

6. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    The brickers we found had, no joke, all the text and code into the .dol file, and it could be shown with a hex editor. So while this was just a poorly written bricker, the other ones have more up their sleeves.

7. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    lol trying to brick people out of a console that was two generations ago. If they succeed you're out $20-$30 to replace it.

jesus96, BetterDuck and Thiaggus like this.
  8. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    Searching for "frutre3" doesn't show anything besides this post and a bunch of strange pages, so that's weird, but thanks for the warning.

I can't fathom how sad one must be to do this in the first place, but reading this has created in my head a mental image that of an enraged nerd saying to itself "I'LL SHOW THEM!" while monkey-coding bricking software for a bunch of old hardware as early 2000's edgy music blasts off in a dark room; so at the very least I got a chuckle out of this.

Sort of like Hackers, but with less cheese and more embarrassing.

Is there anything that can be done to help? How widespread this could realistically be?

BetterDuck likes this.
  9. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Maybe 1 or 2 Wii hacking websites according to him, Wii Bricker 9000 was shared on 2 Discord servers, but just by opening it up in hex, people were able to see what's going on.
    However, don't be scared, because of this poor programming we can easily identify a bricker and a legit homebrew application. Plus, it won't take long to get the MD5 and CRC32 hashes before the brickers get taken down.
    At this point, we aren't even sure if we should take this guy serious, he looks like a huge troll who wants attention, but other people did try to make brickers themselves, so Frutre3 has what he wanted: Bricked consoles.

10. TimPV3

TimPV3 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2019
    United States
    Well at least it's disguised as Wii Pong and not something anyone will actually give a shit about downloading.

jesus96 and zfreeman like this.
  11. MaeseJesus

MaeseJesus GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2013
    Well, as much as I'd like to think otherwise, I don't think most people would use a hex editor to see if whatever they downloaded, in case is something shady.

Most of my worries were on how easily files can be spread nowadays, and how certain places (not just homebrew related, but in general) just grab everything they see and let them be downloaded without checking first or may accidentally host one of these files that will cause problems, more than this subject's "abilities".

Sort of like bad ROM dump that's floating around for years and years, sometimes without even pointing out it's a faulty dump.

12. Dimensional_Grape

Dimensional_Grape Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2019
    United States
    To be honest, I'm kinda surprised something like this didn't pop up sooner. Like Trash_Bandatcoot said, the brick it causes is pretty simple to recover from if you have any sort of brick protection installed (it just corrupts the theme files for the Wii Menu). Looks like Frutre3 is shaping up to be a Nintendo version of Leurak (guy who made MEMZ, among other things, at least he only made them as a joke).

EDIT: Worth noting, Frutre's GitHub is only 5 or 6 hours old

Last edited by Dimensional_Grape, Aug 12, 2019
  13. Trash_Bandatcoot
    OP

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    Bricker announcement: New possible bricker found.

Name: NoConnect24
    Disguise Name: RiiConnect24 Patcher
    Description: Contains differences between a real RiiConnect24 patcher, malicious contents currently unknown.
    MD5: 0CFC7204D909C4502D7D931F41486FA0
    CRC32: f287cfab

MaeseJesus likes this.
  14. ROllerGuy

ROllerGuy Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2018
    Antarctica
    That's not NoConnect24, but it is malicious. He changed the download link for the mail patcher to a dol file hosted on dmca.gripe, which seems to be Wii Bricker 9000.

But another actual Wii bricker has been spotted. Wii Bricker 9000 - dhtdht020 edition (by Frutre3) with the SHA1 hash of 9c81f3e8cbd129f5c4d28bfa8f5e621dca05b989. It does the Wii equivalent of rm -rf /, along with displaying some ASCII art and telling you to not turn off the Wii or your Wii will be bricked.

15. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    It’s still $20-30 and people may have had saves, etc. They hadn’t backed up yet.

alexander1970 likes this.
  16. BetterDuck

BetterDuck I am truly remarded

GBAtemp Patron
    BetterDuck is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 15, 2017
    United States
    The old pond
    Limp Bizkit playing so loud that the basement dwelling 30 year old can't hear his mom knocking on the door to tell him his pizza rolls are done.

17. ichichfly

ichichfly GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2009
    Gambia, The
    please use yara and not MD5. The MD5 can be changed by changing one Value for example in the dol padding. Creating thousands of Files that do the same but have different MD5.

for example

rule WiiBricker9000Dhtdht020EditionV1
    {
    meta:
    description = "Bricks the Wii by syscall"
    thread_level = 1
    in_the_wild = true

strings:
    $a = "Wii Bricker 9000"

condition:
    $a
    }

rule WiiBricker9000Dhtdht020EditionV2
    {
    meta:
    description = "Bricks the Wii by overwriting 0000009a.app"
    thread_level = 1
    in_the_wild = true

strings:
    $a = "/title/00000001/00000002/content/0000009a.app"
    $b = "OwO UwU OwO UwU OwO UwU OwO UwU OwO UwU OwO UwU OwO UwU OwO UwU"

condition:
    $a and $b
    }

Last edited by ichichfly, Sep 4, 2019
    Trash_Bandatcoot and Dartz150 like this.
  18. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    London
    It would probably be an encrypted binary

19. SnackJr

SnackJr Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2019
    Japan
    I just want to know why? Are you that bored that you have to stoop to being malicious to entertain yourself? C'mon, man.