TempLurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
wifi%20for%20free.jpg

The 3DS's new SpotPass feature is designed to let the console automatically seek out new content every time it comes within range of a wireless Internet hotspot, a feature that just got a lot more useful across North America as Nintendo President Satoru Iwata announced a new collaboration between the company and AT&T that will see 10,000 hotspots opened up to console owners.

The support will come in the same May update that will also bring the eShop and new video streaming service, letting users who opt-in to connect automatically to more than 10,000 WiFi points for free.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Well how nice of AT&T to just give those free 10000 points of Wifi.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh man, Nintendo is trying hard to keep the hacking down. I mean, seriously, you pretty much can't turn on your 3DS in public if you don't want to upgrade your firmware and live in North America.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nathan Drake said:
Oh man, Nintendo is trying hard to keep the hacking down. I mean, seriously, you pretty much can't turn on your 3DS in public if you don't want to upgrade your firmware and live in North America.
Force update just seem to have been a rumor.

So I think you can get content without secret AP.

Vigilante

TempLurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nathan Drake said:
Its true,totally agree but only if th3 3DS really update with the presence of WiFi

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
Nathan Drake said:

I dunno. They could configure the 3DS to automatically connect to these hotspots (and download an update if available), but require user confirmation for any other WiFi, right?

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
KingVamp said:
Nathan Drake said:

I dunno. They could configure the 3DS to automatically connect to these hotspots (and download an update if available), but require user confirmation for any other WiFi, right?
Well then do not update 'till it safe.
tongue.gif

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
Nintendo had a similar deal with Mcdonalds with the OG DS and hardly anyone used it, lol. Probably the same the here. I think AT&T just likes the cheap publicity of this meaningless partnership with Nintendo.

Edit: It's probably too harsh to say meaningless, but most peeps will probably connect their 3DS at home.

Canonbeat234

Redeemed Temper
Trophies
XP
Country
If that's the case then why couldn't AT&T let the Iphones have a wireless hotspot feature? It just cheap publicity for the masses.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Canonbeat234 said:
If that's the case then why couldn't AT&T let the Iphones have a wireless hotspot feature? It just cheap publicity for the masses.

Because AT&T fucking suck. Seriously, you figure if you're with them, the best place for service is right by their store. But nope. There are no good spots with AT&T.

And the thing is, if I want their services, I'd have to drive 4 hours to get to the nearest town with their hotspots (I'm in Canada). Nintendo honestly should have went with Verizon, or Rogers or some other cell phone company here in Canada. I don't even know anybody who has AT&T.

sergster1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they are giving 3DS users free wifi then i demand that us ipod touch users get free wifi aswell i mean support you own damn product at&t ohh and @Shadow Soldier Keyboard+Mouse are better than controllers
biggrin.gif

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am always a little wary of the word "FREE". Normally "FREE" to me has always come with strings attached,which has cost me more money than it was worth.
unsure.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
/me sets about finding 3ds mac address range and/or possible handshake protocol and/or things they left able to be tunnelled through.

Even more ways to get myself some free wifi out and about- thanks AT&T.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: