Homebrew ARM9Loader -- Technical Details and Discussion

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I could have deleted them in one of those desktop cleaning rampages. I can get a cool backup again?
Well, no. Not really. But in case this happens (it is risky to do though):
  1. Generate a NAND dump
  2. Generate your FIRM xorpads
  3. Encrypt the FIRM corresponding to your sysNAND firmware version with your FIRM xorpad
  4. Inject that into your FIRM partitions
  5. [N3DS only] Restore the original key sector, encrypted with the SHA256 of your OTP (and some other things => more details here: https://github.com/delebile/arm9loaderhax/blob/master/common/sector_generator.py) (if you don't restore it, you will brick!)
  6. [Optional] Clear out the 0x5C00 sector
Some things have to be tested and confirmed in that method.

Last edited by Mrrraou,
Reactions: Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, no. Not really. But in case this happens (it is risky to do though):
  1. Generate a NAND dump
  2. Generate your FIRM xorpads
  3. Encrypt the FIRM corresponding to your sysNAND firmware version with your FIRM xorpad
  4. Inject that into your FIRM partitions
  5. [N3DS only] Restore the original key sector, encrypted with the SHA256 of your OTP (else you will brick!) => more details here: https://github.com/delebile/arm9loaderhax/blob/master/common/sector_generator.py
  6. [Optional] Clear out the 0x5C00 sector
Some things have to be tested and confirmed in that method.

Thanks for the detailed guide, I will follow it as last resort. I'm scrapping the hard drive sectors right now hoping to get them back

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for the detailed guide, I will follow it as last resort. I'm scrapping the hard drive sectors right now hoping to get them back
Good luck. You could downgrade your emuNAND to 9.2 using sysUpdater with CakesFW (as AuReiNAND could patch the FIRM partition downgrade) and flash it back to sysNAND, I think it should be safer. (if the key sector inside your emuNAND is still fine, aka you never tried to install arm9loaderhax to emuNAND or you didn't set up your emuNAND with a9lhax installed)

Last edited by Mrrraou,

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Good luck. You could downgrade your emuNAND to 9.2 using sysUpdater with CakesFW (as AuReiNAND could patch the FIRM partition downgrade) and flash it back to sysNAND, I think it should be safer. (if the key sector inside your emuNAND is still fine, aka you never tried to install arm9loaderhax to emuNAND or you didn't set up your emuNAND with a9lhax installed)

Yup emunand is fine. Ok, this looks more promising. I'll try it if recuva doesn't find anything. I should be able to get at least one or two nands or some nand xorpad. It's not like I'm worried, because I don't know why would I need to uninstall a working a9lh (perhaps to update it?) so I'm ok. I would be better with my backups but I'm stupid.

Edit: I could use regular cakes in R+L AuReinand mode to downgrade ? It should be something like A9LH -> AuRei R+L sysnand -> Menuhax -> Cakes.3dsx -> Regular CakesFW -> Sysupdater downgrade

Last edited by Urbanshadow,
Reactions: Mrrraou

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yup emunand is fine. Ok, this looks more promising. I'll try it if recuva doesn't find anything. I should be able to get at least one or two nands or some nand xorpad. It's not like I'm worried, because I don't know why would I need to uninstall a working a9lh (perhaps to update it?) so I'm ok. I would be better with my backups but I'm stupid.

Edit: I could use regular cakes in R+L AuReinand mode to downgrade ? It should be something like A9LH -> AuRei R+L sysnand -> Menuhax -> Cakes.3dsx -> Regular CakesFW -> Sysupdater downgrade
Yes, you can. It will boot CakesFW like if you were on clear 9.2.

Urbanshadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, you can. It will boot CakesFW like if you were on clear 9.2.

And how do I check if I am on regular cakes or in aureinand a9lh, you say? 3D bug turned into a feature and told me anytime I used the 3d slider!

I did the backup of the clean emunand downgraded to 9.2 for the n3ds, and I could fully recover a 9.2 clean sysnand backup for the 2ds, so I'm happy now.

Also, users of this method be aware: Restoring this emunand backup downgraded to sysnand could potentially relink the nands! A format is strongly advised after sucessful restore.

Last edited by Urbanshadow,
Reactions: Mrrraou

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Anyway my console is not bricked, I had a problem with reinand's configuration, so I can confirm that this works with 9.0.0-20E 2DS

mungry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I would like to make a few requests and questions. Hopefully I can get this working and understand more about what I can exactly do with this OTP I labored over.

I'm a COMPLETE NOOB when it comes to compiling (tried it once and I i'm pretty sure I fucked something up on my computer :rofl:). So if someone could PM and hand me some help compiling my OTP so I could get a9lh working I would be in forever debt to you haha!!

Second thing is: When I get a9lh compiled what exactly can I do? I mostly aiming to coldboot emunand with a9lh (I heard you can do this with aureinand?). So how would I go about getting that set up? Also once I have coldboot with a9lh set up how would I be able to access my sysNAND?

If someone explain this here or even in a PM it would be much appreciated!! Thanks! :)

Teoz Benny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi ive spent today doing everything to get my otp.bin and restoring my sysnand and emunand back. Would somebody be able to please compile for me if I send my otp.bin? I would really appreciate if someone could. Thank you

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Emunand? Sure. Sysnand... yeah if you know what you're doing...
I'm not a noob, but if aureinand works, can I update using the official procedure?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Another thing: I seen that more than one people downloaded the .3dsx installer. I want to warn you that you can't install this as your otp is different, it's only made for @Teoz Benny

Teoz Benny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just want to say thanks to everyone. Ive got arm9loaderhax fully working with aureinand, boots riggt into it in like 2 seconds lol. Words cannot express how happy I am haha. Was not that hard to do just made sure I did everything right the result is so nice no more waiting ages for it to boot or comeing back from system settings

Mrrraou

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not a noob, but if aureinand works, can I update using the official procedure?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Another thing: I seen that more than one people downloaded the .3dsx installer. I want to warn you that you can't install this as your otp is different, it's only made for @Teoz Benny
"People" downloading it must mainly be search engine bots.

vexhash

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Don't wanna read those 90 pages... Is there still a chance to break console without hard mod?
I guess i'll just wait till someone will make user-friendly thread with full information and precompiled files...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY