Hacking ARM9 data abort crash when boot

forn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Happened when I was running Radiant Historia from my SD card and went into the home menu. Got an errdisp message that the card was removed, and ever since, whenever the 3DS attempts to enter the home menu after powering on, almost instantly the 3DS crashes. As far as i'm aware, the card was not removed, at least through physical means. SD card can still be read by GodMode.
the 3DS boots fine without an SD card.

When inserted, or restarted with the SD card inside, however, I am presented with a crash. I can't attach images, but i'll try to attach a file with the crash dumps.

Attachments

• crash dump files.rar
    92.3 KB · Views: 156

forn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Check if your SD card is fake, faulty, or dying.
  1. Copy everything off the SD card to a computer.
  2. Quadruple reformat.
  3. Full Write + Verify the empty card in H2testw. Do not skip.
I've run into a problem while attempting to copy my SD card to my computer. Apparently, I don't have enough RAM to copy a folder called "content" from my Nintendo 3DS folder. on closer inspection, I can't copy import.db OR title.db because they're corrupted.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've run into a problem while attempting to copy my SD card to my computer. Apparently, I don't have enough RAM to copy a folder called "content" from my Nintendo 3DS folder. on closer inspection, I can't copy import.db OR title.db because they're corrupted.
No worries. The import.db and title.db are important but can be rebuilt from scratch. Continue with copying everything else to the computer, reformatting the SD card, and hardware testing it.

Reactions: forn

forn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
No worries. The import.db and title.db are important but can be rebuilt from scratch. Continue with copying everything else to the computer, reformatting the SD card, and hardware testing it.
Done! the H2testw was completed without error.
upload_2020-10-6_20-55-18.png
What of the corrupted data? Thankfully, the title.db and import.db (and a theme, but that's not too important) were the only files that seemed to have corrupted data.
Edit: it appears i was mistaken, only import.db appears to be corrupted. title.db was moved just fine but i'm not sure if that's indicative of a clean file or not

Last edited by forn,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Done! the H2testw was completed without error.
View attachment 227386
What of the corrupted data? Thankfully, the title.db and import.db (and a theme, but that's not too important) were the only files that seemed to have corrupted data.
Edit: it appears i was mistaken, only import.db appears to be corrupted. title.db was moved just fine but i'm not sure if that's indicative of a clean file or not
5. Delete the *.h2w test files off the SD card.
6. Copy everything back onto the SD card; keep a copy of everything on computer (safety).
7. Follow Path (B) when recreating a new set of title.db & import.db for the SD card. Study the examples listed in the link below. Carefully read and follow the ~ INSTRUCTIONS ~.

forn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
5. Delete the *.h2w test files off the SD card.
6. Copy everything back onto the SD card; keep a copy of everything on computer (safety).
7. Follow Path (B) when recreating a new set of title.db & import.db for the SD card. Study the examples listed in the link below. Carefully read and follow the ~ INSTRUCTIONS ~.
I completed your guide, but not without a few hiccups.
1) I got an error informing me of CIAs which could not be rebuilt
upload_2020-10-7_13-26-50.png
2) While I was almost done with step 2b, another error appeared which listed titles it could not recover saves to.
upload_2020-10-7_13-24-10.png

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I completed your guide, but not without a few hiccups.
1) I got an error informing me of CIAs which could not be rebuilt
View attachment 227465
You'll need to find and replace those CIAs by TitleIDs as listed in the first log, missing_titles.txt. No help can be provided in how to or where to download them if they weren't purchased from Nintendo eShop as per forum ToS but good luck finding them!
2) While I was almost done with step 2b, another error appeared which listed titles it could not recover saves to.
View attachment 227464
That's the second log, save_restore_error.txt. Those are the saves for games that couldn't be restored because their CIAs weren't reinstalled. After installing the replacement CIAs, repeat (2b) Restore Saves.

If no error pops up the 2nd time restoring the saves, continue and complete the rest of the steps in the ~INSTRUCTIONS~.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

forn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
You'll need to find and replace those CIAs by TitleIDs as listed in the first log, missing_titles.txt. No help can be provided in how to or where to download them if they weren't purchased from Nintendo eShop as per forum ToS but good luck finding them!

That's the second log, save_restore_error.txt. Those are the saves for games that couldn't be restored because their CIAs weren't reinstalled. After installing the replacement CIAs, repeat (2b) Restore Saves.

If no error pops up the 2nd time restoring the saves, continue and complete the rest of the steps in the ~INSTRUCTIONS~.

Okay, so I did exactly what you told me to-- re downloading the games and repeating the restore save process--and everything works as intended. Thank you very much for your time! You are very patient. :D

To be sure, I suppose this means I should do regular backups whenever possible of the data on my sd card, in case of corruption?

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I did exactly what you told me to-- re downloading the games and repeating the restore save process--and everything works as intended. Thank you very much for your time! You are very patient. :D

To be sure, I suppose this means I should do regular backups whenever possible of the data on my sd card, in case of corruption?
Yes, that would be a good practice to follow. One can never know if their SD card or 3DS system will die on him/her from a random accident, or the device decides to call it early quits.

Occasionally back up your games' saves and extdata with Checkpoint, JKSM, and/or GBAVCSM. Keep these copies safe on your computer, external flash/hard drive, or cloud storage. You can also use 3DSync for copying/updating the moved saves to your cloud storage of choice. Wirelessly copying files can be done by FTP with 3DShell or ftpd.

If you notice your games randomly corrupting again, assume your SD card has a hardware fault of the rarer variety: bad memory controller. When replacing the card, check the new card in H2testw before using.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: forn

Nikolas_Hirees

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, repair corrupted 3DS files from your SD card with the help of Stellar Repair for Video which easily repair game files if it's corrupted or damaged. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@