Are you better at games...

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My games are all based on intellect instead of manual dexterity so I can say I likely have gotten better the more I play something, but that makes sense.

Over all though, I think as a gamer, 10 years has not changed me in any real fashion.

And I don't think being 13 or 43 makes a difference in games either. I've seen kids do amazing things with video games.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I got better at pretty much all fronts. Twitch movement, aim, focus, strategy...those things really add up with the years. Even problem solving, which sounds like it's unique with every game, tends to have some overall feel to it. Perhaps it's also that I'm thinking more in the metagame, now. I remember getting stuck in monkey island 1 for DAYS, just because I never thought that this "oar" thing I picked up somewhere in a chasm actually had some use.
...and yes, my English is better as well now.
tongue.gif

Another example is beat 'm ups. I used to play it as a button bash fest. Now I know it's best to 'just' get above or below the bad guy and move up or down before starting to hit the buttons like a mad man.

the only thing that got worse is the dedication: that was A LOT higher when I was young. If I'm stuck in the same area for longer than 20 minutes, I start to get frustrated or even lose interest in the game completely. There are some old games I play with emulators AND SAVESTATES, where I cannot for the life of me recall how I ever managed to finish games back when 'game over' meant "get back to square one".

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes and no

Between my changing tastes*, improved hardware, improved design methods- for instance books, audio and video/visual media have long been students of some of the more interesting aspects of psychology where games, at least generally speaking, have only recently found employing them helps and related fields to the various things I mentioned the question is quite difficult .

*perhaps the wrong word- all I know is as things go on I see things I like that were not done/as polished before and that just makes me want more and in many ways I am inclined to not necessarily overlook the old stuff but treat it as a toy- some say chess "devolved" from more general warfare strategy into a game with rules and in doing so became a true game which is pretty much how I feel I about many older games. All I will say is I do not just want the Matrix- I like pissing in the face of physics too and I definitely enjoy weird games (finished the void recently- the game sits in my top games list despite objectively not being that good).

I played GC mario kart the other day and was half expecting a time portal to open up and future me to slap me on behalf of 2005 me. I suspect though that it was not so much I was worse just that I was unpractised.
Same with some platformers- mainly some of the GB megaman games although it all came flooding back to me.

Spatio temporal- far better although I have hammered CAD and physics for many years now. (link for the sake of linking http://fold.it/portal/ ).
Interestingly some of the "impossible" or unintuitive stuff has become somewhat easier as well- thinking things like 4d, complex/impossible shapes and time based stuff has become easier.

RPGs I am not sure about- back when (I did not meet roguelikes until I was a bit older) strategy might have amounted to using fire on ice skeleton where today it is a bit deeper so I am unsure how to call this. I will say though where once I might have sat grinding I instead opt for (risky) strategy so if you looked at win/loss stats or similar simplified metrics you could possibly be forgiven for seeing a decline in ability.
Same for strategy games although I am increasingly ambivalent towards micromanagement- I would not want to lose it, I dislike the automated stuff as it presently exists and I do not really care for it.
I have yet to play a good MMORPG which I am going to define as one that if soloed could be said to have mechanics that hold up so I am ignoring that- the closest I have ever got is something like Savage.

FPS games I am discounting as I was around for Wolfenstein 3D and everything since- I have never played one enough to bother memorising levels that well, reload times, spread patterns or anything like that. I have however found myself drifting towards third person or FPS games where guns just happen to be included rather than forming a central mechanic (I will pick S.TA.L.K.E.R. over COD although I will also pick bulletstorm over COD- this is not to say I do not enjoy parts of COD either- I think it was the multiplayer MW2 game where you are in a restaurant/petrol station with thermal optics is probably one of my favourite "minigames" as it were of recent times.

I have always messed around with games and made meta games from others although it comes from a different place today (such a thing is about as close a realisation that I might have grown up)- it is probably why I find achievements so pointless or even insulting. This being said I pulled things apart as a child and today I am a reverse engineer/person who repairs things as a matter of course.

Short version- it is kind of like fighting- the first few times you get tunnel vision and your ability to form complex strategy is non existent, later your concern is just how to relieve your opponent of breathing privileges with minimal damage to you and after that you start thinking about how to win and not wind up in court having to explain yourself or how to cause your opponent(s) to be in and out of hospital for the next 20 years and make it look like they tripped and did it to themselves. This however has nothing to do with immersion for me- the right game can still tune me out of the world around me.
When I was young it matched the former
When I was a greasy teenager more or less the middle (or at least that is why my memories and subsequent replays are telling me)
Today as I leave middle age the latter applies.

If that analogy does not do it for you consider an intellectual pursuit- say coding, fixing things or maybe learning something before returning in a couple of years and thinking "this troubled me.. how embarrassing/pathetic" or "I managed to convince someone to pay me to do this... I think I might have scammed them/been a bit heavy handed (my spares draw is now full of stuff I could have repaired today but 5 years ago I replaced wholesale)"- this cuts a bit deep for me right now so I will move on.

The net effect of such things though, at least with all games until present, is minimal though (see grinding vs strategy) and in many ways I do not consider this a bad thing beyond my maybe having a couple of games on the go at once which I find odd in some ways although same idea as reading and watching TV, driving with the radio on and so forth but here it is a game of tetris or something on when playing a "bigger" game.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would say my gaming skills have diminished as games have got easier. Save points, auto-targetting and regenerating health have made us all soft.

choconado

Doesn't understand a damn thing on here
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ShinyLatios said:
Depravo said:
I would say my gaming skills have diminished as games have got easier. Save points, auto-targetting and regenerating health have made us all soft.

Do what I do: play some old school NES games.
GamePlay>Graphics!

This.

Seriously, games got easier as time has gone on. This is a proven fact at least in the age of the PSX and Saturn.

Also, I used to suck ass at games. I couldn't barely touch my NES without the Game Genie hooked up, and the 2600 just drove me insane. Now I do great on the old 8-bit systems, and I breeze through Atari stuff (though Pitfall 2 can still bite me. )

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I'm not really too sure. I'm only 14 and I finished Final Fantasy X when I was 9 or 10 having just a tad bit of difficulty with it, nothing too major.

Then again, I still remember the frustration that is racing games. Damn, I sucked at those when I was younger. I'm better at it now, but I really sucked total ass at them.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I was a kid, I could play the same game for hours on end, trying over and over whenever I failed. I became good at games through repetition and perseverance.

These days, I don't have patience like that. If I have to play the same thing 2 or 3 times, I just get bored and quit playing.
Therefore if I were to go back and play some of those old games, I'm not going to get as far, because I'm not willing to put in the time anymore.

However, I think my basic skills have improved. Now when playing old games, I can notice patterns in the enemy movement, understand the basic rules of how the game is programmed, and thus work out ways to play the game that I never would have done when I was a kid.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah i've gotten much better. I mainly know that since I grew up with an NES/SNES to start my gaming career. Still play the same oldschool titles. It's kinda sad in some ways. I used to think Mega Man X1-3 was so hard, now I can pretty much no-damage run the game with little effort.

N64 was like that too. I'll go back and play, say, Banjo Kazooie...never made it to grunty as a kid.
Now I can 100% the game with absolute easy.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
choconado said:
ShinyLatios said:
Depravo said:

GamePlay>Graphics!

This.

Seriously, games got easier as time has gone on. This is a proven fact at least in the age of the PSX and Saturn.

Also, I used to suck ass at games. I couldn't barely touch my NES without the Game Genie hooked up, and the 2600 just drove me insane. Now I do great on the old 8-bit systems, and I breeze through Atari stuff (though Pitfall 2 can still bite me. )
I agree, games are getting easier. The day we get a modern game that's as hard as Megaman 1 or 2 is the day that mainstream gamers die out. That'll be a happy day.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I could say that one area I have improved is racing games, or at least, I haven't lost any ability at playing them due to the loss of my eye.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
machomuu said:
choconado said:
ShinyLatios said:
Depravo said:

GamePlay>Graphics!

This.

I agree, games are getting easier. The day we get a modern game that's as hard as Megaman 1 or 2 is the day that mainstream gamers die out. That'll be a happy day.

1-954345_113876_front1.jpg

Gamer elitism is pathetic. Games should always be about fun not over how difficult it is.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sort of in the middle.

Games that I played but sucked at when I was little I am now good at.

Games that I played but was good at I now suck at.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For people who says games used to be much harder, that's probably due to the fact they were also way, way simpler.
It's not so much all games are EASIER these days, it's just they give you more freedom to let different types of skill to come into play.

I will say some games do really dumb it down for the player to make things easier, but others just have more freedom to let a player handle a situation in a way they're best at, instead of forcing them to handle it in a way they may not be comfortable doing it.

Jehuty25

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only game these days that gives me trouble is Street Fighter. Everything else is either too easy or was difficult for about 2 minutes until i figured it out.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hells Malice said:
For people who says games used to be much harder, that's probably due to the fact they were also way, way simpler.
It's not so much all games are EASIER these days, it's just they give you more freedom to let different types of skill to come into play.

I will say some games do really dumb it down for the player to make things easier, but others just have more freedom to let a player handle a situation in a way they're best at, instead of forcing them to handle it in a way they may not be comfortable doing it.
And that's true, games back then were probably most of the time difficult totally by design rather than intention.QUOTE(emigre @ May 21 2011, 07:05 AM) Gamer elitism is pathetic. Games should always be about fun not over how difficult it is.
Well I believe that difficulty contributes to the fun of the game. I don't give a crap about elitism.

TheDarkSeed

I'm a pretentious sack of shit
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say yes to some games. But My skill decreases when I don't play a certain game for a while. Like my 17 year old self would kick my 20 year old selfs ass at brawl. And then he would say "Oh, how the mighty have fallen..."
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: