Are you better at games...

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is what I mean. Say when you're a kid, you get stuck in a game, or when you beat it, it was the hardest thing ever. It raised your frustration to over 9000. And then years down the road when you try it again, you find it's a lot more easier?

For example. When I first played Final Fantasy X , getting the Sun Sigil in the Calm Lands by riding that damn Chocobo to beat the time, I remember I would literally throw my controller. It was just too damn hard. I beat it, but I didn't feel that accomplishment like I normally do.
Skip ahead to tonight, and I got to it. I got it on my 5th time or something like that. I felt so much relieved, and confused that I could do it so much better.

I was confused to because when I first played the game, I was around 14-15 years old. That was only like 8 years ago.

Anybody else have anything happen to them like this?

damedus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On a previously played game yes but I have never thrown my controller on a game or gotten angry at it. I got stuck in probably 4 or 5 games where I turned the game off and didn't finish the game, and a dozen or so where I just hopped online for a solution and moved on with the game and the strategy, Things that I probably found hard as a kid were games that got you backtracking a lot with no info on to where to (Like DQ 1 or Phantasy Star 1) or games where you had no way to continue on a mistake (rogues on the pc). 20 years later Im sure if I pick up one of these games id just drop it the first moment the game looks flawed mechanic. But for modern games like the snes and onward I think were better due to the practice of the same tactics over and over. You cant really say games have moved on regarding gameplay, they have improved on the old and reinvented the presentation and use but if you tell me that every new rpg out there doesn't have a growth method similar to Final fantasy then I want to play it lol. FPS still use same shooting terms, racing still employs just that and so on. So if you're playing today's games with a bit more complex curve and then hop on one of the oldies im sure it will feel easier and probably will be, with the exception being those pesky luck things where you know there's no possible skill in the world that can nail it 100% of the time (chocobo races jaja) but yeah id say the more time u game the better you get, still not sure if there's a declining age for that im still 31 lol

wasim

♫ Music addict ♫
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
i feel i am better

but i recently got midnight club 3 dub edition remix i completed it once 2 yrs before
but i feel it lot more difficult than before now

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i get worse n worse

just got pissed over Dracula x chronicles on my PSP
also pursuit force angered me to the point i cant bear its sight

im patient but a game should be entertaining not FRUSTRATING

well im glad to read review of those two comforting me about my lack of success in them
pursuit force being ridiculously wrong not having checkpoint, dracula x for being too hardcore of a game for a handheld, 3D gameplay remake is so so.. im better at the original

oh god.. im almost crying now. i get old
frown.gif
lol

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Well, I don't see much improvement with my skills as I get older, but rather get interested in more genres rather than just RPG alone.
nyanya.gif

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Mhmmm............I think I'm getting smarter at the puzzle solving sections of most given games, but probably worse at old school platforming.
I'm playing Dracula X on the PSP as well, and boy, it's a pain sometime to loose all your life to a boss and having to restart from the very beginning of the game...
But that might have something to do with frustration and lack of time/energy more than lack of skills.
But yes, these days I'm more focused and I play one game at the time and I rarely get stucked ( couple of levels on AC2 were tricky ) and I finish most of them.
But when I play to re-play SMB3 or SMW.....then I feel the difference !

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yeah, games like Yoshi's Island used to always kick my ass when it came down the last level. Now I can run through world 8 without getting hit once. I can even beat Baby Bowser with a perfect score.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
A Gay Little Catboy said:
Yeah, games like Yoshi's Island used to always kick my ass when it came down the last level. Now I can run through world 8 without getting hit once. I can even beat Baby Bowser with a perfect score.

When I was child, I remember being stuck for a whole day on the level you´ve had to do a ground-pound over a wood in order to get inside cave, wow... I just don´t know how many games I have beaten up now. But the "better" you become when gaming, is just a lot of practice of it.

Tornadosurvives

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I feel like I'm both a little worse, but better at the same time.
wink2.gif

I remember used to being so good at the Megaman games, but I know I'm just garbage compared to back in the day.
Other than that, I am better in another way because I know more English than when I was 5 or something.
yay.gif

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
It depends on the game.
Now I tend to miss the obvious/instinctive stuff since I overthink shit which turns out to be very simple.
On the other hand, now I figure puzzles out, strategize more, etc.

tijntje_7

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I got better.. yup.
Especially at strategic games, I know when to fight, and when not to fight etc..
My English has improved as well, helping me in multiplayer/co-op games.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am most definitely NOT better at games now than I was when I was a teen. That probably has a lot to do with my losing an eye in 1991 though. I can't track the action on screen as fast as I used to, my ability to react quickly to visual stimuli took a big hit. I DID lose my strong eye after all. It was also the eye that the imagination side of the brain uses and I think one's imagination is quite integral to the enjoyment of video games, which I think, goes a long way towards explaining my constantly decreasing interest for video games in general.

Just as a dual core processor can process data faster than a single core processor, two eyes can receive and interpret visual data faster than one eye alone can. In other words, I experience input lag because one of my processors has reduced function due to a damaged visual sensor.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm now worse than before too.
I wanted to play Castlevania X on PSP .... oh god, I passed the spear men only one time on the first stage, I feel like I became a
p1ng.gif
at playing.

Old games required a LOT of dexterity, they were hard and you couldn't do anything else, if you wanted to complete the game you had to have a lot of patience and spend hours on a single jump to land correctly on the other side, etc.

Now games are too easy, you can turn back while jumping, the jump is going far away from the border, etc.
All the controls have been re-made and re-think to be easy, analog control, etc.

Now, I suck when I go back to play old games I completed finger in the nose 15 years ago
hate2.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.