Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

queendude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just a community discussion over here. Tell us some against/for arguments or tell us your opinion to this topic - let's have a peaceful discussion about it

My opinion:
I'm personally against it. I think death penalty is not necessary in a civilized community nor in the 21-century.
Some people say it saves lives because it makes criminals scared of the punishment - I don't think so. If someone is mentally ill, he will do it anyway.
A person demanding death to a murderer is not better than the murderer himself. Death penalty is just revenge killing. And I thought that we wanted to stop that.

Reactions: Quantumcat

3DPiper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A person demanding death to a murderer is not better than the murderer himself. Death penalty is just revenge killing. And I thought that we wanted to stop that.

I disagree.

People convicted of breaking the law should be punished with due consequences.

Most murders are not convicted by the family, they are convicted by a jury. That jury is chosen by both the defense and prosecution and agreed upon.
Death sentences are not casually handed down, it is usually for serious criminals and after several trials.

Byokugen

Unit_01
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm against, depending what the crime was, no parole! If you raped someone, or you are a child molester, you are a garbage of a person and life in prison is your prize!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It's far more effective to let them rot in prison than just kill them.
Oh rapist and child molesters have a jolly good time in prison

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I'm for it. I think most murders are not solved by any sort of CSI methords, but people admitting to the police that they've comitted the crime. So if you killed more than one person you should be executed. More air for the rest of us.

It's also dependent on the situation of course.

mocalacace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a community discussion over here. Tell us some against/for arguments or tell us your opinion to this topic - let's have a peaceful discussion about it

My opinion:
I'm personally against it. I think death penalty is not necessary in a civilized community nor in the 21-century.
Some people say it saves lives because it makes criminals scared of the punishment - I don't think so. If someone is mentally ill, he will do it anyway.

I agree that the death penalty may not be necessary in a civilized community in the 21st century, but you also have to remember that not every community, nor people in a community, may be as civilized as the one you may live in.

To address the second point, I do not think the death penalty would scare anyone away from the crime they are about to commit, but the point is not to scare the criminal, but to have a just punishment for their crime. To lock someone up and feed them for the rest of their life is hardly a just punishment for murdering someone. This also ties in to your last point of revenge killing, it is not so much revenge as it is justice for their crime.

Finally mentally ill point is somewhat irrelevant as mentally ill criminals do not get the death penalty.

queendude

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I agree that the death penalty may not be necessary in a civilized community in the 21st century, but you also have to remember that not every community, nor people in a community, may be as civilized as the one you may live in.

To address the second point, I do not think the death penalty would scare anyone away from the crime they are about to commit, but the point is not to scare the criminal, but to have a just punishment for their crime. To lock someone up and feed them for the rest of their life is hardly a just punishment for murdering someone. This also ties in to your last point of revenge killing, it is not so much revenge as it is justice for their crime.

Finally mentally ill point is somewhat irrelevant as mentally ill criminals do not get the death penalty.
In the most cases, the murderers get killed in action. I agree to the point of civilized area though. But seriously, America, seriously?
1200px-Death_penalty_in_the_United_States.svg.png

Do we really need that?

Last edited by queendude,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am against it too. I understand that someone murdered someone else and someone must be punish for it but a death penalty ? No. It is not the answer!

The law need to find a way to punish this person seriously rather than put this person to death is a murderer as well!

Reactions: queendude

mocalacace

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the most cases, the murderers get killed in action. I agree to the point of civilized area though. But seriously, America, seriously?

Do we really need that?

Why should the punishment be less severe in America just because we are more civilized? if anything it should be harsher

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am for the death penalty. The reason is because, in my own opinion, murderers don't deserve to continue living after they've ended the life of someone else. Likewise, rapists don't deserve to live after they've damaged (or perhaps ruined) the life of someone else. The death penalty should serve as the ultimate punishment one can receive for committing a serious crime.

I also believe lethal injection is not how criminals should be put to death (as far as the criminal is concerned, they're basically being put to sleep); we should be using the electric chair, and perhaps firing squads.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Depends on the crime, the criminal, their lack of remorse. In my personal opinion, people who commit absolutely abhorrent atrocities against others, including things like aggravated murder, pedophilies, and other forms of sexual abuse against another. Then we have terrorists who are responsible for the deaths of many innocent people, yeah, special cases like them. People like that should be put to death. Sorry, not sorry.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we add an indifferent option? I prefer not to cast life or death judgments. I don't agree or disagree, I just don't feel it's my place.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It is rather permanent, necessarily quite expensive, its efficacy as some flavour of deterrent is debatable at best and it does make international relations more tricky. To that end I am happy enough to see it repealed everywhere which has it, no need to even keep it for military (though dual justice systems there I find to be odd when they happen), spies or regicide or whatever. At the same time I do not find it so abhorrent that I feel inclined to not to business with a country/state which has it or have it come close to being a sole justification for taking down a country. Equally I find the "give 'em the needle" mindset to be a rather strange one every time I have encountered it, most times it is from people which have never actually seen death in any particularly useful capacity. At the same time should I be on a jury and somehow not managed to get out of it sooner I would not be able to render a verdict which then led to the death penalty, and I would oppose extradition to a death penalty using state -- some might have it on the books but might not have used it in decades. I happily support pharma companies which tell states looking to purchase the necessary chemicals for such things to tell said states on your bike (many places which have recently repealed the laws often do so because they can't get the chemicals to do it), and to block their subsidiaries and other vendors from doing said same.
I am not sure prison as many places presently have it is all that useful either (there is a reason they become the universities of crime) so I am at the same time not sure how to set about making the murdering set become in some way productive members of society.

I think that is most aspects which come up during these sorts of debates.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Against. If it is wrong for one person to kill a human being it is wrong for everyone.

Kant's ethical theory is based on two things: "act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of any other, never merely as a means to an end, but always at the same time as an end" and also "act only on the maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law".

Together, this means that you can't sacrifice someone to benefit other people, and you can't have different ethical rules for different people.

Capital punishment is unethical under Kant. First of all, someone is being sacrificed to benefit other people - you are removing them from the world to make others safer (or that's the theory anyway). Second of all, you have one rule for some people and another for others. The general public is not allowed to kill human beings, but the government/executioners can.

You don't have to subscribe to Kant's ethics to be a good human being, but if something you're doing goes full against what the central figure of modern philosophy has to say - you should at least have a good long look at it.

Last edited by Quantumcat,

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Personally against death penalty just knowing that there are people out there who have been wrongly convicted and criminals who get away scot free

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly it depends. If the person is guilty without a doubt and it's very clear their crimes aren't something they can come back from. Then I am for, but I mean crimes like Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, etc. level of bad. There's just no reason to keep them around and there's no helping them. Keeping people to that level alive isn't making us look like better people.
Now this of course means that I am not in favor of having it be a common practice. If there is a shred of doubt, that doubt needs to be considered.
Basically, only in extreme cases do I see a need for it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-