Are you Against/For Capital Punishment?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by queendude, Jun 27, 2017.

?

Are you Against/For Capital Punishment?

1. Against

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. For

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. queendude
    OP

queendude GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2017
    Germany
    Just a community discussion over here. Tell us some against/for arguments or tell us your opinion to this topic - let's have a peaceful discussion about it

My opinion:
    I'm personally against it. I think death penalty is not necessary in a civilized community nor in the 21-century.
    Some people say it saves lives because it makes criminals scared of the punishment - I don't think so. If someone is mentally ill, he will do it anyway.
    A person demanding death to a murderer is not better than the murderer himself. Death penalty is just revenge killing. And I thought that we wanted to stop that.

Quantumcat likes this.
  2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    I'm gonna go ahead and remove the "GBATemp community" part of your title, because it makes it look like some official poll, which it's not.

queendude likes this.
  3. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    This post has been removed due to the staff's corruption to money and other people.

Last edited by Vipera, Aug 13, 2017
    Quantumcat and queendude like this.
  4. 3DPiper

3DPiper GBAtemp Fan

Jun 13, 2004
    United States
    I disagree.

People convicted of breaking the law should be punished with due consequences.

Most murders are not convicted by the family, they are convicted by a jury. That jury is chosen by both the defense and prosecution and agreed upon.
    Death sentences are not casually handed down, it is usually for serious criminals and after several trials.

5. Byokugen

Byokugen Unit_01

May 16, 2016
    Serbia, Republic of
    Just a bit to the right, or was left...
    I'm against, depending what the crime was, no parole! If you raped someone, or you are a child molester, you are a garbage of a person and life in prison is your prize!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

It's far more effective to let them rot in prison than just kill them.
    Oh rapist and child molesters have a jolly good time in prison

6. TVL

TVL #|

Feb 17, 2004
    World -1
    I'm for it. I think most murders are not solved by any sort of CSI methords, but people admitting to the police that they've comitted the crime. So if you killed more than one person you should be executed. More air for the rest of us.

It's also dependent on the situation of course.

7. mocalacace

mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    I agree that the death penalty may not be necessary in a civilized community in the 21st century, but you also have to remember that not every community, nor people in a community, may be as civilized as the one you may live in.

To address the second point, I do not think the death penalty would scare anyone away from the crime they are about to commit, but the point is not to scare the criminal, but to have a just punishment for their crime. To lock someone up and feed them for the rest of their life is hardly a just punishment for murdering someone. This also ties in to your last point of revenge killing, it is not so much revenge as it is justice for their crime.

Finally mentally ill point is somewhat irrelevant as mentally ill criminals do not get the death penalty.

8. DinohScene
    This message by DinohScene has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jun 28, 2017, Reason: Erm, maybe not -rp.
    Jun 27, 2017
  9. Byokugen
    This message by Byokugen has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jun 28, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    Jun 27, 2017
  10. queendude
    OP

queendude GBAtemp Regular

May 8, 2017
    Germany
    In the most cases, the murderers get killed in action. I agree to the point of civilized area though. But seriously, America, seriously?
    [​IMG]

Do we really need that?

Last edited by queendude, Jun 27, 2017
  11. DinohScene
    This message by DinohScene has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jun 28, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    Jun 27, 2017
  12. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    I am against it too. I understand that someone murdered someone else and someone must be punish for it but a death penalty ? No. It is not the answer!

The law need to find a way to punish this person seriously rather than put this person to death is a murderer as well!

queendude likes this.
  13. mocalacace

mocalacace GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    Why should the punishment be less severe in America just because we are more civilized? if anything it should be harsher

14. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Vanuatu
    Make them break rocks all day instead, the worry of putting someone innocent to death is enough to keep the death penalty banned...

HamBone41801, queendude and Byokugen like this.
  15. Byokugen
    This message by Byokugen has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jun 28, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    Jun 27, 2017
  16. Logan Pockrus

Logan Pockrus Knawledge is key.

Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    I am for the death penalty. The reason is because, in my own opinion, murderers don't deserve to continue living after they've ended the life of someone else. Likewise, rapists don't deserve to live after they've damaged (or perhaps ruined) the life of someone else. The death penalty should serve as the ultimate punishment one can receive for committing a serious crime.

I also believe lethal injection is not how criminals should be put to death (as far as the criminal is concerned, they're basically being put to sleep); we should be using the electric chair, and perhaps firing squads.

17. DinohScene
    This message by DinohScene has been removed from public view by raulpica, Jun 28, 2017, Reason: Reply to trashed post -rp.
    Jun 28, 2017
  18. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Depends on the crime, the criminal, their lack of remorse. In my personal opinion, people who commit absolutely abhorrent atrocities against others, including things like aggravated murder, pedophilies, and other forms of sexual abuse against another. Then we have terrorists who are responsible for the deaths of many innocent people, yeah, special cases like them. People like that should be put to death. Sorry, not sorry.

19. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Can we add an indifferent option? I prefer not to cast life or death judgments. I don't agree or disagree, I just don't feel it's my place.

20. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    It is rather permanent, necessarily quite expensive, its efficacy as some flavour of deterrent is debatable at best and it does make international relations more tricky. To that end I am happy enough to see it repealed everywhere which has it, no need to even keep it for military (though dual justice systems there I find to be odd when they happen), spies or regicide or whatever. At the same time I do not find it so abhorrent that I feel inclined to not to business with a country/state which has it or have it come close to being a sole justification for taking down a country. Equally I find the "give 'em the needle" mindset to be a rather strange one every time I have encountered it, most times it is from people which have never actually seen death in any particularly useful capacity. At the same time should I be on a jury and somehow not managed to get out of it sooner I would not be able to render a verdict which then led to the death penalty, and I would oppose extradition to a death penalty using state -- some might have it on the books but might not have used it in decades. I happily support pharma companies which tell states looking to purchase the necessary chemicals for such things to tell said states on your bike (many places which have recently repealed the laws often do so because they can't get the chemicals to do it), and to block their subsidiaries and other vendors from doing said same.
    I am not sure prison as many places presently have it is all that useful either (there is a reason they become the universities of crime) so I am at the same time not sure how to set about making the murdering set become in some way productive members of society.

I think that is most aspects which come up during these sorts of debates.

Byokugen and queendude like this.
  21. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Against. If it is wrong for one person to kill a human being it is wrong for everyone.

Kant's ethical theory is based on two things: "act in such a way that you treat humanity, whether in your own person or in the person of any other, never merely as a means to an end, but always at the same time as an end" and also "act only on the maxim whereby you can, at the same time, will that it should become a universal law".

Together, this means that you can't sacrifice someone to benefit other people, and you can't have different ethical rules for different people.

Capital punishment is unethical under Kant. First of all, someone is being sacrificed to benefit other people - you are removing them from the world to make others safer (or that's the theory anyway). Second of all, you have one rule for some people and another for others. The general public is not allowed to kill human beings, but the government/executioners can.

You don't have to subscribe to Kant's ethics to be a good human being, but if something you're doing goes full against what the central figure of modern philosophy has to say - you should at least have a good long look at it.

Last edited by Quantumcat, Jun 28, 2017
  22. nxwing

nxwing GBAtemp Addict

Jul 22, 2013
    Philippines
    The Capital
    Personally against death penalty just knowing that there are people out there who have been wrongly convicted and criminals who get away scot free

23. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    The state has no right to take the loves of citizens rather such action is largely a flawed concept that assumes the state has the knowledge and moral will to give justice which is doesn't...

Quantumcat likes this.
  24. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Indifferent

If I got the death penalty, that's how I'd want to go out. Hell, I'd even have the prison ask the family of the victim if they want to pull the trigger, lol.

Logan Pockrus likes this.
  25. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Honestly it depends. If the person is guilty without a doubt and it's very clear their crimes aren't something they can come back from. Then I am for, but I mean crimes like Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, etc. level of bad. There's just no reason to keep them around and there's no helping them. Keeping people to that level alive isn't making us look like better people.
    Now this of course means that I am not in favor of having it be a common practice. If there is a shred of doubt, that doubt needs to be considered.
    Basically, only in extreme cases do I see a need for it.