Gaming Are Dragon Quest series related?

svnelvn

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DQ 4 is coming out next week, and i'm quite eager to try it out. but i'm wondering if the stories are related (DQ 1-4) and it's better to play previous ones first? or is it like Final Fantasy and each franchise is an individual story?

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
svnelvn said:
DQ 4 is coming out next week, and i'm quite eager to try it out. but i'm wondering if the stories are related (DQ 1-4) and it's better to play previous ones first? or is it like Final Fantasy and each franchise is an individual story?

First 3 games were a Trilogy of sorts.

I think the same is true of IV, V and VI. Although I am unsure on that.

Edit:

WikipediaThe first six Dragon Quest games' stories are divided into two trilogies. The first three games of the series tell the story of the legendary hero known as Roto (also known as Erdrick or Loto in the American NES and GBC versions, respectively). Dragon Quest IV-VI are based around a castle in the sky called Zenithia, and are referred to as the Tenku in Japan, meaning Heaven. The main series from Dragon Quest VII on are independent of each other and stand alone

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can play them out of order though. The games that are related have certain themes that appear in each other but you won't be missing out story wise if you play VI before you ever play IV.

So you don't have to play III before you play IV or anything. I recommend that you do play III because it is my favorite one!
nyanya.gif

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PizzaPasta said:
So you don't have to play III before you play IV or anything. I recommend that you do play III because it is my favorite one!
nyanya.gif

+1

DQ3 is one of the greatest RPG's ever

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Tikker said:
PizzaPasta said:
nyanya.gif

+1

DQ3 is one of the greatest RPG's ever
Agreed, the remake for the Gameboy Colour was awesome. Dragon Quest 2 was pretty darn good as well, but I got annoyed grinding in the last area that leads up to the boss, those enemies were insanely tough. I would not complain if there was a trilogy released on the DS in remake form similar to the ones on the Gameboy, 1 & 2 were combined and 3 was on it's own cartridge but it would be convenient to have all 3 on one cart.

greygoosecat

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well there are mixed reactions with DQ games, depending on how picky you are or what you expect. I wouldn't go comparing it to FF though, because it's style is more traditional, which is also part of what is so appealing to those who like DQ games. That's not to say one is better or worse, but just that I find different qualities in each so comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. I've played DQ since I was a kid, 4 being one of my favorites out of the bunch, so I say it's worth it. But again, it's all in how you see it.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tikker said:
svnelvn said:
^ LOL i thought the best RPG goes to Golden Sun, though i've never played it

no, golden sun was just the best available on the GBA

And that in itself for the same says very little. Golden Sun was at best mediocre for an RPG, but being on GBA it was by far and large the most beautiful looking and sounding RPG and the story was ok, combat was ok or better depending on tastes.

...On the topic though...
Dragon Quest games seem to at least over the first six play out in linked trilogies. DQ1-3 all were around and bound to the story of Loto (or Erdrick if you did the old NES games.) Then you had DQ4(which hit NES well after SNES was out stupidly) 5, and 6 and they are also a trilogy. The unique thing about these games while they have tied elements that'll be a great thing to see born out while doing the game, they're not handled in a way where you have to play them in order to make any sense as they stand alone well.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The connections between Dragon Quest games is not terribly important. There are extremely vague references to things that happened in other games in mythological terms (mostly person/place names), but no plot details or anything... you can play them in any order you want.

Anyway, Dragon Quest 4 is probably one of the best in the series. It's divided up into five chapters, with many different main characters, and it's actually very original throughout (the chapters tend to get stranger / more interesting as you go on, too.) It was probably the best RPG of the NES era, hands down (or at least the best one that we got in English); it was one of the first console RPGs I can think of to have a large cast of detailed, distinct characters, say.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it could also just be interesting because each chapter is like a new game kind of so it'll keep people more interested as it won't just drag on forever.

PizzaPasta

Son of p1ngpong
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D said:
I think it could also just be interesting because each chapter is like a new game kind of so it'll keep people more interested as it won't just drag on forever.

That's true. DQIV does not feel like the 40+ hour chore that most RPGs are becoming to me these days. Even FFIV, which is a game that is very high on my list of favrorites and I have played a million times started to feel very stale to me on my recent playthrough.

DQIV is like the best part of an RPG; the beginning for the whole game. Mother 3 also accomplished this feel.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Batman55 said:
Tikker said:
svnelvn said:
^ LOL i thought the best RPG goes to Golden Sun, though i've never played it

no, golden sun was just the best available on the GBA

But Golden Sun is still better than DQ3
biggrin.gif
No it isn't, not by a long shot. Dragon Quest 3 reinvented the series, Golden Sun is easily one of the best RPG's of all time, but Dragon Quest 3 was so much better. You also have to remember that Golden Sun was split across two games whereas Dragon Quest 3 was a single game, however in reality, Dragon Quest 3 is actually two games in one. It combines the first section of the story which is all based around the events after Dragon Quest 1 and 2 in succession, but once you defeat the boss Baramos, you wind up in the Dark World, aka the land that is Dragon Quest 1 and you must once again collect the same items and explore the area that is a completely revamped DQ1 where you must defeat Zoma (instead of DracoLord like in the original). The only difference is that you can travel with a party instead of being solo in the second segment of the game.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
PizzaPasta said:
Vampire Hunter D said:

That's true. DQIV does not feel like the 40+ hour chore that most RPGs are becoming to me these days. Even FFIV, which is a game that is very high on my list of favrorites and I have played a million times started to feel very stale to me on my recent playthrough.

DQIV is like the best part of an RPG; the beginning for the whole game. Mother 3 also accomplished this feel.
I like how you play through various chapters in DQ4, it is no doubt a fresh take on the RPG concept, plus I love spinning the camera to find hidden objects
yaynds.gif

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DSGamer64 said:
Dragon Quest 3 is actually two games in one. It combines the first section of the story which is all based around the events after Dragon Quest 1 and 2 in succession, but once you defeat the boss Baramos, you wind up in the Dark World, aka the land that is Dragon Quest 1 and you must once again collect the same items and explore the area that is a completely revamped DQ1 where you must defeat Zoma (instead of DracoLord like in the original). The only difference is that you can travel with a party instead of being solo in the second segment of the game.

well

the 2nd part of the game is where you're actually creating the legend of erdrick

it's set prior to DQ1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PnFJMnYT0