Applying liquid metal on a fat PS3?

TerminatorZXY

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I want to apply the liquid metal on the fat PS3 between the die and the IHS on the GPU/CPU. Of course, I can't put it between IHS and heatsink since it's made of aluminum, but is liquid metal a viable method?

Vahe61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Armenia
Liquid metal will dry and stuck to the chip after 1,5-2 years and will not transfer heat well any more. When you try to pull it off it may damage the chip. And the liquid metal is electrical conductive and there are el. components around GPU. if The liquid metal goes there it's a guaranteed death of ps3. You better use the best thermal paste without metal powder which has performance very close to liquid metal and drill holes on your ps3 case if you care much about. And if the temperature goes below 72 then you are perfectly fine.

Reactions: zfreeman

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I want to apply the liquid metal on the fat PS3 between the die and the IHS on the GPU/CPU. Of course, I can't put it between IHS and heatsink since it's made of aluminum, but is liquid metal a viable method?
Liquid metal is not designed for long term use, even if you apply it perfectly it will seep over time and can short something.

Shadow_The_Hedgehog82

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Liquid metal will dry and stuck to the chip after 1,5-2 years and will not transfer heat well any more. When you try to pull it off it may damage the chip. And the liquid metal is electrical conductive and there are el. components around GPU. if The liquid metal goes there it's a guaranteed death of ps3. You better use the best thermal paste without metal powder which has performance very close to liquid metal and drill holes on your ps3 case if you care much about. And if the temperature goes below 72 then you are perfectly fine.
It happens faster than that I fell for hype after seeing it on youtube i put it in 2 thinkpads and my ps3 they were all overheating in less than 6 months, worked well at first but i think your need certain material heatsinks for it to not soak into the metal.

Also drilling holes doesn't actually help with cooling

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AdenTheThird, Bro's still in the PS2 age.