Repaste & Reflow QuestionsI just did my first thermal repaste, on my backup PS3. Arctic Silver MX-4, 'X' pattern. I didn't do anything to heat up the

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I just did my first thermal repaste, on my backup PS3. Arctic Silver MX-4, 'X' pattern. I didn't do anything to heat up the CPU & RSX before separating the main board but I cleaned up the old paste well. End result, temps dropped 33% (in the 40s). Booted up fine. But start up a GPU-intense game and it would freeze with artifacts while audio continued. I later read about reflowing. But I wasn't willing to put my main board in the oven. Supposedly the solder has to be melted and unmelted? And the CPU cracks due to settling? (Like a house?). When one of these freezes happened, the system wouldn't boot without freezing, until it 'cooled down' (yet the temps were good). So I kept at it. Let it idle in the XMB awhile, monitored temps. Then let it idle in games, even if it were in a catatonic, just to let the CPU & RSX adjust. Then I did a fan diagnostic (Hold Eject as you plug the power cord in). Waited awhile again. And now I've idled in the flames of the start of Infamous without a problem. Temps don't exceed the high 50s now.

So can someone explain what reflowing is and what just happened? Will my system be ok or are its days numbered like a 360 baked in a blanket to resolve a RROD?

HawaiianInTown

Friendly Neighborhood Hawaiian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be start of gpu failure, very telling characteristics when graphical freezing and artifacts occur. Reflow is used to, in its literal intent, reflow low melting generally lead-free solder balls that exist under a processor. Usually, fractures occur in said solder which will give you these countenance issues belive it or not. I would just reball with leaded solder, and maintain thermal grease annually thereafter.

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might be start of gpu failure, very telling characteristics when graphical freezing and artifacts occur. Reflow is used to, in its literal intent, reflow low melting generally lead-free solder balls that exist under a processor. Usually, fractures occur in said solder which will give you these countenance issues belive it or not. I would just reball with leaded solder, and maintain thermal grease annually thereafter.

Thanks. So the fractures are in the solder, not the die? Can you recommend a good reballing kit? And how difficult is the process? Probably need a heat gun still but I might check into a complete solution.

HawaiianInTown

Friendly Neighborhood Hawaiian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solder fractures, yes. I suggest not getting a reball kit/rework station if you're just doing this one console. It does require some technical skills and a steady hand to make ease of reball processors.

Reactions: BigOnYa

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Solder fractures, yes. I suggest not getting a reball kit/rework station if you're just doing this one console. It does require some technical skills and a steady hand to make ease of reball processors.

Makes sense. Though I was thinking of dabbling in reselling modded consoles. I've got more to research. Always fun.

XFoxPrower

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ooh I like this one it's pretty. And I like the sound it makes too . I guess I like steampunky things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto