Apple Apple Peel 520

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Do you use it as your main phone or just buy it as a curiosity? Would it actually be usable as a normal phone? How's the sound quality when playing music? INTERROGATION HO!!!
Its one of those "I want one of those" things for me. I know it won't work too well but its damned tempting if it works at all! £60 though...

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Jamstruth said:
Do you use it as your main phone or just buy it as a curiosity? Would it actually be usable as a normal phone? How's the sound quality when playing music? INTERROGATION HO!!!
Its one of those "I want one of those" things for me. I know it won't work too well but its damned tempting if it works at all! £60 though...
-i used it for like a day and decided to put it back in it's box to collect dust
-i wouldn't really want it as a normal phone, tbh
-i'm not 100% sure but iirc it just uses the ipod's built-in speaker for everything other than the phone so music is same as always
-probably only worth it for 30 or less (i paid $120 aud when i bought it
ohnoes.png
)

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Its about £40 on Dealextreme. I'll pay your £30 for yours though if its just collecting dust though.

As for Music I was meaning the Headphone jack on the bottom which isn't connected to the original headphone jack at all. So Music must be coming out of the Peel in speaker mode.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Jamstruth said:
Its about £40 on Dealextreme. I'll pay your £30 for yours though if its just collecting dust though.

As for Music I was meaning the Headphone jack on the bottom which isn't connected to the original headphone jack at all. So Music must be coming out of the Peel in speaker mode.
well as for the headphone jack it seemed same quality but maybe that's because my earphones suck..

as for selling it.. too lazy to bother shipping it and paypal hates me for selling so unfortunately no
tongue.gif

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Dammit... Was hoping to get one for £10 less then the DX price.
Will need to e-mail the guys who make them and see if they can verify its the real Peel 520 that DX are selling (I've heard there are fakes about) don't want a really shoddy product. if they get GPRS working on the thing I reckon I'd be happy with it.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally say go for it. I was looking into one but im with Verizon and have no Sim card.
frown.gif

but for a chinese hack thingie i think it looks awesome.

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bump for development in the Peel520 Saga. No I haven't ordered one, and I'm not going to any time soon (mostly due to lack of funds, partly due to what I'm about to tell you)
The new Peel 520 from Yosion has been announced! And it looks a HELL of a lot better than the last one. Looks are the important thing there though.

5331752955_0df20e3205.jpg

5332366422_b1953c618c.jpg

5337133028_d13807c688.jpg

5336519433_ae195fccaf.jpg

The new case looks great compared to the old one and it supports the new iPod 4's form factor (camera hole etc.) BUT its not said on the site I found this on (MICGadget) whether it will support the older gens as well.Thing is that this one might support 3G and the quality looks better than the old one. Its such a big difference that I'd rather get this one especially if it supports 3G.

Basically: I'm holding off on ordering a Peel520 until more is announced about this one.

Technophobe

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just joined here because it's so hard to find any info on this anywhere!

I got one and set it up fine. The volume thing is a total pain. The point of this for me was so I wouldn't have to carry around two devices and I can't control the volume for my music?! But I will drill a hole in the case and solve that little bug.

The SMS is a pain. It line-breaks randomly, cutting words in half. Also - the messages always start at the oldest and if you're like me and keep them ALL you have to scroll down through lots of messages to get to the most recent. Anyone know if you can fix this?

Call quality? It sounds fine to me but my friend said on her end it echoed like crazy. Like the old transatlantic long-distance calls. Ick. I don't use it to call much but still... I feel like a dork having such crappy call quality.

Otherwise it's OK. My iPod was free and this wasn't so much $$ so I'm not exactly invested in it. I suspect I might go back to my old nokia E63 pretty soon....

Lisa

Jamstruth

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It is hard to find info. I've gotten good at deciphering pidgeon English Google translations of the Chinese forums (the English Forum never gets any info into it) but it can give me a bit of a headache.

From deciphering posts I have found out that...
1. The new Apple Peel will not have 3G (unfortunate but meh it keeps cost down)
2. They've put a lot of time into getting the bugs out of the software for the new release. No more SMS/Call bugs hopefully. As well as this it will have GPRS internet on launch.
3. There will be 2 versions. A 4G version with a hole in the back for the camera as well as being slightly thinner and a 1/2/3G Model with the same design but for the old iPod Touch form factor.
4. The 4G model will launch February 20th with the 1/2/3G model coming soon after

I think anyway, the post wasn't entirely official but seemed like the guy knew what he was talking about.

Extra Point: I think the reason the Apple Peel doesn't change volume output is that it counts as a speaker to the SB. The Apple Peel presses the iPod's own volume buttons but speaker volume output from the dock connector is supposed to be controlled by the speaker itself. Possibly changing volume in call app or ringer volume will change music output?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :tpi::rofl2: +1