Not open for further replies.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can someone adept enough in law topics tell us if there is some sort of law which might defend the availability of preserved media for historical purposes?
There's gotta be something... somewhere xD
(I'm talking about old ROMs, I don't give a shit about freeShop regarding this topic)

Reactions: BLOCKMINER3000

xelrix

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
OP's video has no idea what he's talking about and this is just a hoax.
You cant find MHXX when you search for "MONSTER HUNTER" because the game name is in japanese (gana/kana, not in romaji).
Its in the freeshop just fine.
And Nintendo cant just delete any game from the freeshop without taking it off from the official eshop too.
Nintendo cant dmca their own content from their own servers.

Last edited by xelrix,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I Believe all of them.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not to make this a piracy debate, but I side with the romhacking community on this one, these sites have not injured any of nintendo's income, Nintendo does not manufacture or make any profit on any old systems, making rom's a grey area. I do side that these roms did not not hurt any business below the GBA from my understanding.

yeah, they don't make any profit from their intellectual property, apart from where they're still selling that property and people are literally 'conserving' even those updated forms of it on romsites.
and lets also not pretend as if the romhacking community and the rom-sites have that much of an overlap.

xelrix

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I Believe all of them.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Not to make this a piracy debate, but I side with the romhacking community on this one, these sites have not injured any of nintendo's income, Nintendo does not manufacture or make any profit on any old systems, making rom's a grey area. I do side that these roms did not not hurt any business below the GBA from my understanding.
Please...
Just admit were are all dirty pirates.
Piracy is always bad. Stop being so entitled and trying to justify it.
"Dump" your "own" cart and stfu.

Last edited by xelrix,
Reactions: Uwabami

Three-

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OP's video has no idea what he's talking about and this is just a hoax.
You cant find MHXX when you search for "MONSTER HUNTER" because the game name is in japanese (gana/kana, not in romaji).
Its in the freeshop just fine.
And Nintendo cant just delete any game from the freeshop without taking it off from the official eshop too.
Nintendo cant dmca their own content from their own servers.
I never claimed anything to be factual. I stated I did not do my own research, and I stated the video wasnt mine.
I posted this incase it was something we should be worried about, and so we can potential do something before its too late

Last edited by Three-,

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
  • So, I tried for myself. I google Pokemon Leaf Green rom. The third link I clicked gave me a working download. Searching took me less than 2 minutes.

nitroBW

warum nicht?
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And holding culture locked behind a paywall or unavailable for eternity minus a day isn't entitled at all.
No, it's not. Just compare Monster Hunter sales, some games just sell way better in Japan and only because some people and weebs want game X, doesn't mean it would sell well.
It's their money and their games. Not sure how you can compare that to piracy-entitlement.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The only way in which shit would work out for me is if Nintendo opened up some sort of Steam-like service where you pay for the actual ROM/ISO image of a game and you redownload it whenever the fuck you want.
Having your account with the ROMs that you actually paid for ONLY ONCE and doing whatever the fuck you want with them in terms of romhacking or emulation as long as you don't redistribute them.

That's how that should be handled.
I don't have to pay for the same fucking game from 30 years ago again and again just to play it in Nintendo's propietary emulator or because it is available on yet another fucking system for the millionth time.
Sorry, but no.

Last edited by ShadowOne333,

Dracari

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
and now the nintendo romsets are gone from emuparadise. RIP. atleats i got the NES and SNES GB/GBC while i had a chance now i lack GBA and N64 this is going to affect That ISO site hard for GC/Wii

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering about this, I was trying to grab warioware twisted from emu p on my phone when i was out earlier to test gyro support but they said the rom was unavailable which is weird for emu p.

Nintendo's going balls-deep.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I doesn't matter what the popular belief is.
Should movie industries start removing backed up copies of old movies as well?
What if suddenly Universal came in and took copyright again of all the 30/40s flicks and removes them from public availability?
What about the original releases of Star Wars?

Say what you want but the history of gaming is just as valuable as any other popular media today, and preservation of said media is key to its history.

Even so, the hacking community will be hit the worst here.
And ROM hacking is such a wonderful art, I'd love to see most people siding with Nintendo now when they give a thought that without emulation and hacking we wouldn't have things like the Mother 3 translation, heck even any translation, and not to mention all of the incredible technical hacks for other games.

Just look at Sonic Mania, if you didn't know, the guy in charge of that game started as a Sonic romhacker, and he did tge Android ports of Sonic 1 and 2 as well.

This is a bold move by Nintendo, and I will not side with them in this in any way.
This means war for me, and I'll do everything I can to avoid this empirical shit.

from random online websites that have no right to share them? sure.
if universal can still claim copyright over those flicks, its their right to do whatever they want with them, even keep them hidden from you. its also their responsibility to keep the original reels in their archives. and if they don't, its still not in your right to keep unauthorized copies.

i'm pretty sure conservation does not require public availability anyway. in fact, having worked in an archive, it doesn't. if something is too damaged for public use, its the archives job to keep the thing conserved for as long as possible, even if it never touches a humans hand again, even though that technically means there's no reason to keep conserving the thing in the first place.

again, most romsites somehow capitalized on those pirated copies, through download privileges, ads or just paid membership and it never had much to do with conserving that stuff. the same in this discussion, its always argued conservation, which really is just a front for public availability, which then again is only a front for public free availability.
because you sure as heck wouldn't be fine with a backup copy locked in one of those archive mountains

mixing romhacking and rompiracy to make one seem less illegal is just another one of those flawed arguments.

osm70

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Test 3: Wario Ware Touched

2nd link, less than a minute.

Conclusion: I looked for 3 games and I found all 3 of them within 10 minutes.

Three-

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Test 3: Wario Ware Touched

2nd link, less than a minute.

Conclusion: I looked for 3 games and I found all 3 of them within 10 minutes.
Well if this is true about Nintendo cracking down, it might take them awhile to get from website to website. So currently it could be easy to do it. But there is a potential that itll become harder in day/weeks to come. But this is all speculation

Reactions: Deleted User

xelrix

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I never claimed anything to be factual. I stated I did not do my own research, and I stated the video wasnt mine.
I posted this incase it was something we should be worried about, and so we can potential do something before its too late
Yet you shared this video without addressing the bullshit being spewed and spawned by it.
Youre as guilty as the videomaker for spreading misinformation.

Reactions: Garblant

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The only way in which shit would work out for me is if Nintendo opened up some sort of Steam-like service where you pay for the actual ROM/ISO image of a game and you redownload it whenever the fuck you want.
Having your account with the ROMs that you actually paid for ONLY ONCE and doing whatever the fuck you want with them in terms of romhacking or emulation as long as you don't redistribute them.

That's how that should be handled.
I don't have to pay for the same fucking game from 30 years ago again and again just to play it in Nintendo's propietary emulator or because it is available on yet another fucking system for the millionth time.
Sorry, but no.

i mean, thats easy to say when you dont have to make money in the video game industry and all. your options have always been paying to have or not paying and not having.

it never was paying once to have forever or paying once and getting multiple times. if you like a movie in theatres, you're paying 2 or 3 times to see it again and again and then you pay once more for a blueray release or for video on demand.
or you dont and accept that you don't get the movie again until its on tv (where you also pay for it in cable fees or whatever)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Taylor Swift death metal AI cover please lol