Anyway to unlock New 3ds extra power for older games?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Christian Rosado, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Christian Rosado
    OP

Christian Rosado GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Anyway to unlock extra cores for older games or ram??

Margen67 likes this.
  2. Skull Kiddo

Skull Kiddo Definitely Not A Kid

Dec 17, 2014
    My bedroom
    Nope lol

2Hack likes this.
  3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    And then? More resources of these 2 kinds don't automatically benefit a software... which I personally would have written to use little as possible anyway

4ur0r likes this.
  4. Christian Rosado
    OP

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I just wanted to know. Cuz I remember the PSP with CFW could be clocked to its max speed when you wanted to improve loadings n stuff. Of course only a few games would be benefit, but it was something.

Margen67 likes this.
  5. Duo8

Duo8 I don't like video games

Jul 16, 2013
    No.

6. HarEllis6202

HarEllis6202 GBATemp OldFag

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    That didn't increase the clock beyond stock that's just the max value. That's a thought...what if someone did manage to make a custom kernel for the PSP or n3ds that would be quite interesting.

Margen67 likes this.
  7. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Its up to the developers to send out updates. Updates were sent out to pokemon ORAS/XY that fixed 3D battle lag on the new 3ds. Newer games will utilize the new power though.

Margen67 likes this.
  8. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    Is there any proof for that? Quite interesting if true.

9. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    He's making it up, totally not true.

10. SpongeFreak52

SpongeFreak52 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 8, 2007
    United States
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
    What? Super Smash Bros very obviously takes advantage of the N3DS' improved hardware. Or were you asking about the OR/AS update?

Margen67 likes this.
  11. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    I can post a video, showing the lag on the old 3ds and the smooth fps on the new 3ds after the update if you want.

Skull Kiddo and Margen67 like this.
  12. xile6

xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 15, 2006
    United States
    Its ram, so it will be used. As far as the processor, no the code isnt writen into the game for it.

But old games do load just a tad bit faster on a n3ds tho.

Margen67 and zoogie like this.
  13. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    I've gone be my own comparisons and I see no difference. Don't you think Gamefreak would have mentioned improved framerate in their changelog if it were true? Some press coverage even?

14. Christian Rosado
    OP

Mar 26, 2015
    United States

Thats exactly what I meant. Cuz when the psp was launched, it was underclocked, the cfw made it possible so it could reach its max value. Now we all know how Nintendo always launches its consoles/handhelds underclocked. Look at Wii U, they had to increase clock speed right after launch. Now the New 3ds is a quad core running at 268mhz, dont tell me thats its max cmon. I know it could be cuz of battery issues, but it would be nice to increase it without abusing it, but oh well. Didnt now Pokemon Y got a fix for battle lag huh.

15. loco365

loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Sep 1, 2010
    You can't really do that, especially RAM. If a game takes use of all 256MB that the N3DS has, you can't really put that into 128MB on an old 3DS. You simply can't just magically make ram appear.

16. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    They could pull a Perfect Dark though :P

17. HarEllis6202

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan
    Arm processors have a maximum safe value I bet both systems are at that value. If you want to crack the kernel you could probably over clock but that would cut the life of the chip at least by half. I would maybe focus on a better scheduler or I/o clock speed is more or less nothing

18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Sure, it's technically possible since we have kernel access, but the games aren't programmed to take advantage of it. It might make a difference in games which use multithreading (assuming those exist outside of n3DS exclusives) but other than that the games would have to be modded to offload certain parts of code to the extra cores, which might make it unstable and crashy.
    Even that would take a lot of effort and would be game specific most likely, RAM is a different thing altogether, the game engine was designed to work within a certain amount of RAM and throwing more RAM at it doesn't mean there's a way to take advantage of that extra RAM unless maybe a game uses a large part of RAM as a cache, then the cache size could be increased which would theoretically speed things up a little depending on how often the cache is used. RAM will just limit what they can put into the game, it generally won't affect speed, it's not like the 3DS uses a pagefile. Stuff either runs, or doesn't depending on if there is enough RAM.

Overclocking within reasonable limits shouldn't have a significant impact on the lifetime. It's only when you push it to the limit that you can decrease the lifetime of it due to more heat/overvolting. Overclocking a little doesn't actually make ARM CPUs run much hotter though, as long as you don't overvolt.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS CPU was underclocked to save power like the PSP to be honest. Anyway, there's always a reasonable amount of leeway for overclocking CPUs from stock without shortening the life span significantly. Just have to pay attention to those temps.
    I think you got it the wrong way around. He's talking about o3DS games on n3DS, not the other way around.

19. HarEllis6202

Feb 19, 2015
    United States
    Michigan

20. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

SSB loads 5 times faster on a N3DS than OG3DS.

Souce: Myself waiting about 45 seconds on OG3DS vs. about 5 seconds on N3DS for it to load.