Hardware Anyway to unlock New 3ds extra power for older games?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
And then? More resources of these 2 kinds don't automatically benefit a software... which I personally would have written to use little as possible anyway

Reactions: 4ur0r

Christian Rosado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to know. Cuz I remember the PSP with CFW could be clocked to its max speed when you wanted to improve loadings n stuff. Of course only a few games would be benefit, but it was something.

Reactions: Margen67

Deleted member 361703

GBATemp OldFag
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
I just wanted to know. Cuz I remember the PSP with CFW could be clocked to its max speed when you wanted to improve loadings n stuff. Of course only a few games would be benefit, but it was something.
That didn't increase the clock beyond stock that's just the max value. That's a thought...what if someone did manage to make a custom kernel for the PSP or n3ds that would be quite interesting.

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Its up to the developers to send out updates. Updates were sent out to pokemon ORAS/XY that fixed 3D battle lag on the new 3ds. Newer games will utilize the new power though.

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its ram, so it will be used. As far as the processor, no the code isnt writen into the game for it.

But old games do load just a tad bit faster on a n3ds tho.

Reactions: Margen67 and zoogie

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I can post a video, showing the lag on the old 3ds and the smooth fps on the new 3ds after the update if you want.
I've gone be my own comparisons and I see no difference. Don't you think Gamefreak would have mentioned improved framerate in their changelog if it were true? Some press coverage even?

Christian Rosado

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That didn't increase the clock beyond stock that's just the max value. That's a thought...what if someone did manage to make a custom kernel for the PSP or n3ds that would be quite interesting.

Thats exactly what I meant. Cuz when the psp was launched, it was underclocked, the cfw made it possible so it could reach its max value. Now we all know how Nintendo always launches its consoles/handhelds underclocked. Look at Wii U, they had to increase clock speed right after launch. Now the New 3ds is a quad core running at 268mhz, dont tell me thats its max cmon. I know it could be cuz of battery issues, but it would be nice to increase it without abusing it, but oh well. Didnt now Pokemon Y got a fix for battle lag huh.

loco365

Trophies
XP
You can't really do that, especially RAM. If a game takes use of all 256MB that the N3DS has, you can't really put that into 128MB on an old 3DS. You simply can't just magically make ram appear.

Deleted member 361703

GBATemp OldFag
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Thats exactly what I meant. Cuz when the psp was launched, it was underclocked, the cfw made it possible so it could reach its max value. Now we all know how Nintendo always launches its consoles/handhelds underclocked. Look at Wii U, they had to increase clock speed right after launch. Now the New 3ds is a quad core running at 268mhz, dont tell me thats its max cmon. I know it could be cuz of battery issues, but it would be nice to increase it without abusing it, but oh well. Didnt now Pokemon Y got a fix for battle lag huh.
Arm processors have a maximum safe value I bet both systems are at that value. If you want to crack the kernel you could probably over clock but that would cut the life of the chip at least by half. I would maybe focus on a better scheduler or I/o clock speed is more or less nothing

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sure, it's technically possible since we have kernel access, but the games aren't programmed to take advantage of it. It might make a difference in games which use multithreading (assuming those exist outside of n3DS exclusives) but other than that the games would have to be modded to offload certain parts of code to the extra cores, which might make it unstable and crashy.
Even that would take a lot of effort and would be game specific most likely, RAM is a different thing altogether, the game engine was designed to work within a certain amount of RAM and throwing more RAM at it doesn't mean there's a way to take advantage of that extra RAM unless maybe a game uses a large part of RAM as a cache, then the cache size could be increased which would theoretically speed things up a little depending on how often the cache is used. RAM will just limit what they can put into the game, it generally won't affect speed, it's not like the 3DS uses a pagefile. Stuff either runs, or doesn't depending on if there is enough RAM.

Arm processors have a maximum safe value I bet both systems are at that value. If you want to crack the kernel you could probably over clock but that would cut the life of the chip at least by half. I would maybe focus on a better scheduler or I/o clock speed is more or less nothing
Overclocking within reasonable limits shouldn't have a significant impact on the lifetime. It's only when you push it to the limit that you can decrease the lifetime of it due to more heat/overvolting. Overclocking a little doesn't actually make ARM CPUs run much hotter though, as long as you don't overvolt.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS CPU was underclocked to save power like the PSP to be honest. Anyway, there's always a reasonable amount of leeway for overclocking CPUs from stock without shortening the life span significantly. Just have to pay attention to those temps.
You can't really do that, especially RAM. If a game takes use of all 256MB that the N3DS has, you can't really put that into 128MB on an old 3DS. You simply can't just magically make ram appear.
I think you got it the wrong way around. He's talking about o3DS games on n3DS, not the other way around.

Deleted member 361703

GBATemp OldFag
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Overclocking within reasonable limits shouldn't have a significant impact on the lifetime. It's only when you push it to the limit that you can decrease the lifetime of it due to more heat/overvolting. Overclocking a little doesn't actually make ARM CPUs run much hotter though, as long as you don't overvolt.
I wouldn't be surprised if the 3DS CPU was underclocked to save power like the PSP to be honest. Anyway, there's always a reasonable amount of leeway for overclocking CPUs from stock without shortening the life span significantly. Just have to pay attention to those temps.
I don't know about you but I have never met anyone who will reasonably overclock usually its to push it to the max like you said, maybe I get confused when people talk PSP because I'm pretty sure birth by sleep could run 333 and if I see a game do something I immediately imagine all games potentially doing that but again if a game can run perfectly on a lower clock who cares? XDA junkies

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Here we go +2