Hacking Anyway to unbrick a Coldboot start up

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Use Legit VC DS game, install haxchi, install CBHC over that.

Install Homebrew launcher Channel with Wup Installer.

How hard is this to do for people? I double checked I did everything right.

FYI: Coldboot makes things tons easier than remembering to run haxchi everytime.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know nintendo repairs bricks right? I got my wii repaired in warranty years ago when i had a bad flash that bricked itself. I had mods installed and all, but since it was unbootable i guess it wasn't worth it for them to shake me down and instead transferred my wiiware and vc to the one they sent me.

Instead of recommending people throw the system in the trash why not encourage them to reach out to nintendo and tell them the system had an error when updating and now it won't boot? They very well may ship it to one of the many contracted mom and pop electronics repair shops who can throw in a new nand and board and not even bother playing detective with what the customer did.

Reactions: jbuck1975

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will never understand the interrest about this coldboothax...

Without coldboothax, you have only to press once on haxchi to launch a CFW. And keep an access to sysmenu is ALWAYS a good thing (for recover rednand or whatever).

Coldboothax need to be more securised for common use, or we need a boot0/boot1 exploit to be sure to have a way to launch a recover image or something similar

I don't understand what's not to understand. Its fool proof as long as you follow the guide to the T, and its so simple, anyone can start up the Wii U and have access to everything without issue, or I have it set that if you hold B you can boot directly into the vWii's USB Loader GX which I can immediately control with my already paired Wii U pro controller to the vWii to control what I choose in USB Loader GX including Gamecube games and emulators. This means you don't even need to use a Wiimote to access things in the vWii, which is especially handy when i bring it to my friend's place and we want to play a particular Gamecube game but have no intention of playing any Wiimote controlled games (so that saves on extra bulk I don't need to carry around and not to mention the battery life of the Wiimotes I would otherwise be wasting). So I find great use in it.

Last edited by duffmmann,

raphamotta

Trophies
XP
Country
I've updated several CBHC installs without issue. The only thing I can see messing you up is during the upgrade did you choose the wrong DS game? If your correctly chose the right DS HaxChi game during upgrade you should have no issues.

Again. All user error. We have successfully narrowed every CBHC brick down to user error. If all you did was upgrade your CBHC and didn't do anything wrong and now you have a brick, this would be the first documented case. We need more info.

I've seen where people set up 2nd HaxChi's for various reasons. I see nothing wrong with this. It works fine. You just need to be more careful when you are messing with CBHC. It will ask you which DS game to use. You, the USER must know this. CBHC can't tell if it's legit or not.

Yes CBHC has risks. Just like every other major console hack in history. If you're not sure what you're doing, ask for help first.

I have 4 HaxChi installs. 1 for CBHC (legit eshop purchase) and 3 others for gamecube games on wii u system menu.

It all works perfectly and I have updated CBHC every time just fine. You just have to make sure that you choose the correct DS game during CBHC upgrade.
How can I boot gamecube games directly with haxchi? I tried and can only load nintendont.

eteles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Check Ebay for a used one console only because that's all you need, who cares if it's 8 gb you should have a decent sized external by now. You might pay $70 or so.

The problem is that I live in Brazil... It's difficult to find someone who ships to Brazil... Besides that, there's shipping costs and import taxes.

eteles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Use Legit VC DS game, install haxchi, install CBHC over that.

Install Homebrew launcher Channel with Wup Installer.

How hard is this to do for people? I double checked I did everything right.

FYI: Coldboot makes things tons easier than remembering to run haxchi everytime.
Yes It does... But if there's something wrong with your files, say goodbye to your Wii U. I did everything right and ended up bricking my Wii U after updating from 1.5 to 1.6 CBHC.

D

Deleted User

Yes It does... But if there's something wrong with your files, say goodbye to your Wii U. I did everything right and ended up bricking my Wii U after updating from 1.5 to 1.6 CBHC.
You ran it on another DS VC game which resulted in bootloop [or Region-locked game being booted on launch which is fake-signed and will be killed instantly because it's out-of-region game] making your Wii U unbootable. [2 CBHC games, seriously?] There's no way to brick while updating CBHC unless you can't read DS VC title and mash A button in hope everything will work.

D

Deleted User

it would be nice to have a clear tuto finally about how to dump the SLC with a teensy. And recommend it before coldboot.
Man, Coldboot isn't really that risky as everyone claims it is.
If there was 99% brick chance from installing CBHC, then by now nobody would install it.

Reactions: BaamAlex

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Well I contacted the person who made the guide, apparently he forgot to take out the section that bricked my wii u! So hope this doesn't happen to anyone else... Wii u's are starting to be hard to find now.
What went wrong specifically? I'd just like to know what to avoid for others.

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
Basically don't be an idiot and listen to the warnings.

Like that new post about someone who tried to format. It specifically says not to damn format it whilst CBHC is installed.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

Basically don't be an idiot and listen to the warnings.

Like that new post about someone who tried to format. It specifically says not to damn format it whilst CBHC is installed.
This. I don't know, our guides are clear and even warn users, yet they still do stuff like this.

Reactions: TheCyberQuake

EyeKey

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
it would be nice to have a clear tuto finally about how to dump the SLC with a teensy. And recommend it before coldboot.
No need to dump it before the brick, soldering it is risky too... The OTP is enough to fix the brick. I am going to release a tool to fix it soon, probably this weekend.
And Leefy already explained how to dump it with teensy.

D

Deleted User

No need to dump it before the brick, soldering it is risky too... The OTP is enough to fix the brick. I am going to release a tool to fix it soon, probably this weekend.
And Leefy already explained how to dump it with teensy.
Hm, so we still need to solder to SLC chip before we fix it, right?

EyeKey

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Hm, so we still need to solder to SLC chip before we fix it, right?
Yes. I just said that it shouldn't be recommended to solder the chip in an healthy system..

And I am planning to release soon a modified version of redNAND dumper, that will dump the spare/ECC bytes too. I hope that I won't have issues with it.

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
You ran it on another DS VC game which resulted in bootloop [or Region-locked game being booted on launch which is fake-signed and will be killed instantly because it's out-of-region game] making your Wii U unbootable. [2 CBHC games, seriously?] There's no way to brick while updating CBHC unless you can't read DS VC title and mash A button in hope everything will work.
Did you not read his replies? He says he only had the one DS VC game, which was a legit bought one.

Reactions: eteles
D

Deleted User

Did you not read his replies? He says he only had the one DS VC game, which was a legit bought one.
I don't recall anyone bricking from installing a CBHC update.
If somehow he manages to prove me wrong that he probably moved his game to usb...

Reactions: Kappcy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!