Hacking Anyway to fix bricked wiis after running SPM?

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok if its in warranty, they wont actually repair yours probably they will just send out a refurb and fix your one and give it to someone else, they wont notice if u opened it if u dont make it obvious, keep everything the way it was dont strip screws etc

about people saying console swapping in shops is illegal, so are modchips and downloading off your gay fucking torrent trackers so dont fucking start me

on another note for the people bricking your wii's, from what i know there is NO EASY FIX, lift the samsung flash chip off your wii motherboard, you will have to check which as there is 2, 1 for your saved games and channels etc, other is for the actual operating software u that runs your wii, once uve lifted that you basicly need to put it in a programmer, and flash it with a working image, much like the way u wud flash a wiifree hex but slightly different

once this is done solder the flash chip back on and prey, should work

about all this modified sd card shit dont be stupid
smile.gif

there could be a fix modchip out but i would highly doubt that and all it wud be is soldering directly onto the flash chip which id love to see these kids do and post pics of there mess
smile.gif

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
other people get:

You tried to access the address marc : EU/EU/FRA/Setup/Screensave.html wich is currently unavaible. Please make sure that the Web adresse (URL) is correctly spelled and punctuated, then try reloading the page.

so it seems the paper mario update only installs USA language files, sounds normal because its a usa game with usa updater
tongue.gif

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that's all it is. I think it does go ahead and install the 'screensave.html' but it's hardcoded to place it in the appropriate USA directory because that's all it's coded to do since it's a NTSC-U game that should only be running on a NTSC-U console. When the Wii starts up it runs the updated firmware that now looks for that file in the appropriate language directory depending on how your console is set up, and it obviously can't find it there on a PAL or NTSC-J Wii that hasn't been updated.

Now when the PAL version of Supep Paper Mario is released I'm sure that it will not be hardcoded but rather use a variable directory based on reading your Wii's language set up, and of course the NTSC-J will be hardcoded to look for the file in the JAP directory.

Since these E and J updates were already performed in '2.1E' and '2.2E' and '2.0J'(?) and '2.2J' the file is already there in the appropriate directory and is found. I would imagine when the SPM update is run on these 'already updated' Wiis that the USA files are copied onto the Wii, but are largely ignored since of where they reside.

I also think the main portion of the update on the SPM disc is what they call the 'SYSTEM MENU UPDATE' in the manual and is just to display the fancy graphics in the disc channel when the SPM disc is loaded. That's why the disc channel appears blank and you are prompted to do the update straight away with a Wii that has not been updated.

I also agree that the Nintendo techs probably have a nice way of triggering the Wii to boot from disc or revert back to an older or base firmware through some simple means. They would have to have this as a way for recovering from failed updates due to power outages and the like. I'm also fairly confident that once the update methods (or obviously running Wii homebrew) are discovered a way to unbrick the affected machines would soon follow. Unfortunately I think a lot of malicious code will also appear :'(

This is all just speculation on my part based on the various postings of those that have and haven't been bricked. Just bite the bullet and pay for repair from Nintendo or get a new Wii if you bricked yours.

plexo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, that's all it is. I think it does go ahead and install the 'screensave.html' but it's hardcoded to place it in the appropriate USA directory because that's all it's coded to do since it's a NTSC-U game that should only be running on a NTSC-U console. When the Wii starts up it runs the updated firmware that now looks for that file in the appropriate language directory depending on how your console is set up, and it obviously can't find it there on a PAL or NTSC-J Wii that hasn't been updated.

Now when the PAL version of Supep Paper Mario is released I'm sure that it will not be hardcoded but rather use a variable directory based on reading your Wii's language set up, and of course the NTSC-J will be hardcoded to look for the file in the JAP directory.

Since these E and J updates were already performed in '2.1E' and '2.2E' and '2.0J'(?) and '2.2J' the file is already there in the appropriate directory and is found. I would imagine when the SPM update is run on these 'already updated' Wiis that the USA files are copied onto the Wii, but are largely ignored since of where they reside.

I also think the main portion of the update on the SPM disc is what they call the 'SYSTEM MENU UPDATE' in the manual and is just to display the fancy graphics in the disc channel when the SPM disc is loaded. That's why the disc channel appears blank and you are prompted to do the update straight away with a Wii that has not been updated.

I also agree that the Nintendo techs probably have a nice way of triggering the Wii to boot from disc or revert back to an older or base firmware through some simple means. They would have to have this as a way for recovering from failed updates due to power outages and the like. I'm also fairly confident that once the update methods (or obviously running Wii homebrew) are discovered a way to unbrick the affected machines would soon follow. Unfortunately I think a lot of malicious code will also appear :'(

This is all just speculation on my part based on the various postings of those that have and haven't been bricked. Just bite the bullet and pay for repair from Nintendo or get a new Wii if you bricked yours.

just like the psp unbricker then
rofl2.gif

kdanarch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

96hondaex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If I had a bricked Wii, I wouldn't do this:

Buy a new Wii. Take out the new Wii, put back your bricked Wii. Return it. Or return it and tell them that it's not working.

Exactly! That is what I would do!

Most modern stores scan the Wii's unique serial. It even shows up on the receipt. If they tried to verify the serial you would be found out.

And that would not be good for you.
wacko.gif

I would switch out the internals then take it back in original case that you just bought with legit serial...
lecture.gif

96hondaex

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1