Anyone can tell me what's the use of custom IOS?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by The Frenchman, Oct 1, 2008.

1. The Frenchman
    OP

Member The Frenchman GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I personally use a modchip and I've never had any issue with any games... and I also use Homebrew Channel and homebrews, what would a custom IOS give me?

2. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Mostly, it's for dumping games.
    I don't know much else.

3. toastert2003

Member toastert2003 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well, i'm absolutely, by no means an expert, but it's my understanding, that since you have a chip... i don't think you would actually see any benefit from running a custom IOS. There maybe a couple apps that you could run via homebrew that would help, w/ added dvd access, but if you're not missing them now, you probably have nothing at all to gain.

4. teq

Member teq GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The cIOS provides access to features in IOS that would otherwise be unavailable, even with a drivechip.

You need it to play DVDs on your Wii, read roms from a disc, dump games, and play softmod backups.

If none of that sounds appealing to you, don't bother installing it.

5. toastert2003

Member toastert2003 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's interesting teq, thanks for the input.

I have followed this stuff fairly closely, but there are lots of things i have failed to understand completely.. (it took lots of courage and reading and re-reading threads over and over and over thoroughly before i trusted the twilight hack and installed the homebrew loader, and wad installer/uninstaller. LOL.

Also, until just recently, I didn't install the "Homebrew Channel" at all, nor Wad manager. thought it was 'overkill' .

I continue to kick-self in butt for not just doing it at first, so much better.

Also: less than 5 minutes ago is when i learned with the custom ios, i can now put roms on dvd and load them... tons of 'em [​IMG]

6. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    Yes that's pretty the much the only real use of the custom ios at this time: allowing homebrew to read from dvd.

7. darkmaster_101

Newcomer darkmaster_101 Member

United Kingdom
    I might be wrong, but from my understanding, the OIS's are system parts of the wii that can be accessed in one way or another, for example the weather channel can be access to get the weather, or the mii channel can be used to get info on the mii's
    By installing a custom IOS it changes what you can do with that IOS, perhaps change the way things work or add new features.
    The custom IOS you are referring to, has been changed to trick the wii in some cases to think the dvd inserted is a real wii dvd, and add extra functions to allow reading off the disk

I'm probably wrong with this, but from what I know, this seams plausible

8. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    Custom IOS is used for:

1/ giving full access to DVDs in homebrew programs. A modchip IS still required to fake disc recognition if you want to use DVD-/+R. If you don't have a modchip, it's better to use the DVDX layer created by Twiizers Team which do not need any custom IOS. This is used by emulators to load roms from DVD-R or by Game Disc dumpers...
    As using DVDX is better for emulators, the only interess is to dump your own games if you have a modchip.

2/ allowing deletion of system titles (channels) like the System menu itself or various installed IOS: this is used by "downgraders" to change the current System Menu version or to install/uninstall patched IOS over previous versions. The only current interest of downgrading is actually for people who accidentally updated to 3.3 and ould like to get back to 3.2 to be able to use Trucha signed disc again, this doesn't bring any new "cool" features that already exist.

3/ adding a custom device handler module to make all in-game DVD access use DVDX layer instead of the official one (DI). This is used by backup loader to let you run official games burned on DVD-R WITHOUT a modchip. The DVDX layer make this possible by using a special hidden mode of the DVD drive (DVD video mode) that allows reading from DVD-/+R at a lower speed (3x instead 6x). But again, there is no interess for you if you already have a modchip..

All this work is done by modifying official IOS, either by patching some bytes in the binary, or by compiling a new module using Neimod's tool

conclusion: custom IOS seems cool for a lot of people because it probably reminds them the PSP scene but in reality, much of us don't really need to install this, you can already do most of the "interesting" stuff with the homebrew channel and a modchip.

9. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    thanx for that, thought there was no need to install

10. noobwarrior7

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    nice explanation,

also, AnyRegion Changer 1.1
    does NOT need a cIOS installed to downgrade from 3.3,
    because it installs one itself, temporarily,
    and then deletes it when done.

11. The Frenchman
    OP

Member The Frenchman GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    thanks all, I knew I didn't need a CIOS... I only install wads games and for unreleased games inserts with good banners are what I'm sticking to... If I ever need an emu I'll just play with a GC one.