Hacking Anybody else feel that the cyclo has a shorter batter life than most f

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Enter260 said:
Yeah, I just e-mailed RHS. I'm so torn over the Cyclo. It has some great features but this battery thing is annoying the hell out of me.

So has anyone dealt with returns to RHS? Do you only pay shipping there? Or do you have to pay shipping both ways? If it's the latter case..... I might as well just try and sell it.

I've been using them for about a year and half now, but have only done one return. And I believe I only paid for shipping there. Then they returned the new package to me on them. I think...That was a long time ago though. They'll let you know once they reply back.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
JJBro1 said:
maxpowersin said:
Again that's not a fair test. Everybody knows that cyclods or any other flash cart draws more power from the ds in the sleep mode..
then explain how the r4 lasted significantly longer than the cyclo
The Cyclo uses more sophisticated technology, including an FPGA and Flash memory, while the R4 has everything embedded in an ASIC chip. While the ASIC is cheaperin mass-production, lower on power consumption and more stable, it does not provide the same updatability the FPGA does.

maxpowersin

Trophies
XP
Country
India
QUOTE said:
The Cyclo uses more sophisticated technology, including an FPGA and Flash memory, while the R4 has everything embedded in an ASIC chip. While the ASIC is cheaperin mass-production, lower on power consumption and more stable, it does not provide the same updatability the FPGA does.

Nice... I didn't know that

thanks for the info fat D

I hope u have ur answer jjbro

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

silent_h3ro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also noticed that the Cyclo Evo has poor battery life. It seems like I can't even play for half the time that I can play when I owned my R4. Does anybody know if it can be improved via firmware updates or is it just its internals that are limiting it? It's pretty annoying actually. I just bought mine on the 14th and I'm using a 2GB microSD card.

PigVenus

Trophies
XP
Country
I have 2 Cyclos and don't notice ANY battery-life shortage. My wife said that is seems her M3 Real Perfect doesn't last as long as the Cyclos.

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xblackoutx said:
people say this all the time. any flashcard will drain the battery faster than a normal cart. the cyclo is no different to an r4 or an m3
You obviously haven't been reading the thread, huh?

DarkAura

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
PigVenus said:
I have 2 Cyclos and don't notice ANY battery-life shortage. My wife said that is seems her M3 Real Perfect doesn't last as long as the Cyclos.
Maybe it's the settings she has it on? Like volume and brightness affects battery too.

Enter260 said:
QUOTE(xblackoutx @ Apr 24 2008, 02:04 AM) people say this all the time. any flashcard will drain the battery faster than a normal cart. the cyclo is no different to an r4 or an m3
You obviously haven't been reading the thread, huh?
He's just pointing something out.

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, blackout pointed out that the Cyclo should get the same battery life as the r4/m3 which clearly is not the case.

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
people need to stfu and stop posting unless they have actual timed their DS

do this

charge your DS to full

turn it on, no cart inserted at all (not flash cart, not commercial game), note the time
let it run down to dead, note the time

charge your DS to full

Turn it on, with a commercial cart inserted, launch the game, nbte the time

Charge your DS to full

turn it on, with a flash cart inserted, note the time

if you're too lazy to do the tests, you don't get to comment

JJBro1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tikker said:

do this

charge your DS to full

turn it on, no cart inserted at all (not flash cart, not commercial game), note the time

charge your DS to full

Charge your DS to full

ugh do people read threads. If you haven't read the WHOLE thread then you don't need to comment.

towers

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know you guys said to read the whole thread but it seems like a giant flamewar over backlights or whatever.

Anyways, could it be possible that the enhanced menu (you know, the A+B+X+Y+L+R menu in an nds rom) takes up extra battery life if you have it enabled? I always have it enabled, and I get about six hours or so. I haven't tried with it off (because I don't care that much), but is it possible that the enhanced menu eats up some extra battery life? Or that cheats do? Or real time saving, etc.?

Enter260

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
towers said:
I know you guys said to read the whole thread but it seems like a giant flamewar over backlights or whatever.

Anyways, could it be possible that the enhanced menu (you know, the A+B+X+Y+L+R menu in an nds rom) takes up extra battery life if you have it enabled? I always have it enabled, and I get about six hours or so. I haven't tried with it off (because I don't care that much), but is it possible that the enhanced menu eats up some extra battery life? Or that cheats do? Or real time saving, etc.?
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Anyone care to properly test this theory out?

solange82200

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe I missed this, but are there tests posted out there from other users about the battery life of the Cyclo DS? If there is, or if a couple of people would be willing to do it, all these guys have to do is compare their results to those:

If it's different, then you know you have a faulty Cyclo

If it;s the same, then you have to accept that the Cyclo may not trump other flashcarts when it comes to battery life.

I honestly dont have the time to run a test on mine, but I'll try to if possible. If someone else would be willing to as well, or post links to any other posts with this info, then we can just do a comparison and call it a day

Tikker

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd be surprised if flashcarts used up a huge amount more power than a commercial cart

SDHC cards tho might draw a bit more power, but I've got no basis to compare

flashcarts definitely have a much shorter sleep life cycle than a commercial cart (altho, something like the acekard rpg may avoid it)

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tikker said:

do this

charge your DS to full

charge your DS to full

Charge your DS to full

if you care so much as to tell ppl to "stfu", why don't you test it? if you are too lazy to do the tests, you shouldn't get the right to comment and tell ppl to "stfu"

Drumling

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK so I'm new to all this DS modding and have been reading nonstop the last week. I ordered cyclo from modchipstore.com - do yourselves a favor and never ever deal with these yakos. Think i may be ripped off. Count it a loss i guess....OK anyway gonna order cyclo from RHS and do these tests to hopefully add some quality info to this thread. I'll post results i guess in a week or so.

EDIT
just purchased black cycloDS from RHS, and the SAVE5 coupon works--and found 4GB SanDisk sdhc on ebay ~$20 -- will post all details when fun arrives

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Drumling said:
OK so I'm new to all this DS modding and have been reading nonstop the last week. I ordered cyclo from modchipstore.com - do yourselves a favor and never ever deal with these yakos. Think i may be ripped off. Count it a loss i guess....OK anyway gonna order cyclo from RHS and do these tests to hopefully add some quality info to this thread. I'll post results i guess in a week or so.

EDIT
just purchased black cycloDS from RHS, and the SAVE5 coupon works--and found 4GB SanDisk sdhc on ebay ~$20 -- will post all details when fun arrives

did you win your bid for the sandisk sdhc? if not, i would check out the a-data 4gig class 6 sdhc at newegg. I got it for 21.50 shipped and it is the BEST card you can have for the cyclods.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: He's old they're already roasted +1