Hacking Anybody check out Neimods flickr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Why making all this fuss about Neimod?
I know he is a well-known hacker, and everything he's done,
but he haven't released anything relevant for 3DS yet.
He shows no interest in releasing his coding and soon or later we will have the ability to run unsigned code on 3DS,
which honestly, I do not believe it will come from Neimod.

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why making all this fuss about Neimod?
I know he is a well-known hacker, and everything he's done,
but he haven't released anything relevant for 3DS yet.
He shows no interest in releasing his coding and soon or later we will have the ability to run unsigned code on 3DS,
which honestly, I do not believe it will come from Neimod.

I guess you do have to hand it to him, he at least motivated people to start work on the system.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I see your point. I'd much rather pin my hopes on Smealum though. He at least seems promising and gives me more hope than Neimod ever did.

Although I'm not bashing his skill at all, it's nice that he's found a way into the 3DS hardware, I just think keeping the bits that are beneficial to ones self is a bit hypocritical. But that's just my opinion.

Question - why would you want Neimod to release more info on his methods when his methods clearly require a custom-built RAM dumping board (which in itself requires insane amounts of precision to solder)? :unsure:

The plan is:
  1. Map the system from cover to cover
  2. ???
  3. Profit!!!
Once coders know the ins and outs of the 3DS, they can take matters in their own hands. First and foremost though, they need the right tools and they need to know what they're actually working with - the latter is being covered by Neimod, yellows8 and other 3DBrew contributors.

I also don't understand why people assume that he's not sharing anything when he actually shared both the schematics of his dumping board (on flickr, now unavailable for whatever reason) and the source code for his tools (on his GitHub).

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A great number of articles on 3DBrew is neimod's and without that, you wouldn't see the Gateway or actually any other 3DS hack. The job he does mapping the system matters, it matters a lot. So he doesn't share his exploits - big whoop. Most of the exploits that are released wouldn't even exist if not for all the information stored on 3DBrew.

This is just a guess.
Although very likely, there is no proof to that.
Who knows if gateway is result of it's own team mapping 3DS hardware?
Who knows if 3DSBrew finding has anything to do with it?

I guess you do have to hand it to him, he at least motivated people to start work on the system.

People would be motivated anyway.
I don't think that gateway team, or smealum were motivated by Neimod.

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just a guess.

People would be motivated anyway.
I don't think that gateway team, or smealum were motivated by Neimod.

I agree. We can't really know for sure how they came across their findings, people just assume it's because of Neimod since this whole thing started with him.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is just a guess.

Oh, I don't know, maybe because they're using the exact same exploit yellows8 and everybody else has used to date, meaning exploiting a security hole in the DS User Profiles in NVRAM (cutely named mset hack)? :unsure:

As for Neimod's contributions... well... Quite a bit of that on the page alright.
I agree. We can't really know for sure how they came across their findings, people just assume it's because of Neimod since this whole thing started with him.
Wow. You have to be pretty naive thinking that anyone in their right mind would re-investigate everything from the ground up (which is months upon months of work) rather than use a readily-available resource of information. The chances of that happening are pretty damn slim.

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I don't know, maybe because they're using the exact same exploit yellows8 and everybody else has used to date, meaning exploiting a security hole in the DS Profile in NVRAM (cutely named mset hack)? :unsure:

As for Neimod's contributions... well... Quite a bit of that on the page alright.

Hm, I'd have to say that people who aren't educated on what's happened here only see what's in front of them and thus attack Neimod. So I'll take the hit here and say I was uneducated on what went on under the surface.

Reactions: IronClouds

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Oh, I don't know, maybe because they're using the exact same exploit yellows8 and everybody else has used to date, meaning exploiting a security hole in the DS User Profiles in NVRAM (cutely named mset hack)? :unsure:

Wow. You have to be pretty naive thinking that anyone in their right mind would re-investigate everything from the ground up (which is months upon months of work) rather than use a readily-available resource of information. The chances of that happening are pretty damn slim.

Yes, the chances of that happening are pretty slim,
Like I said, it's very likely that gateway and smealum used from 3DBrew data, and I'm not saying that it didn't happen,
but since there is a possibility of the opposite, we can't say for sure that gateway team and smealum used of Neimod findings.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The shitbags crying about Neimod not releasing anything (except for ya know, those huge lists of documentation stuff on 3Dbrew but I can't do anything with it so let's forget about that) and trying to pin him down as a Legacy member (which is in EVERYBODY'S worst interest regardless of whatever's happened) are the reason why people like him distance themselves from the community it the first place.

Reactions: Obveron

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The shitbags crying about Neimod not releasing anything (except for ya know, those huge lists of documentation stuff on 3Dbrew but I can't do anything with it so let's forget about that) and trying to pin him down as a Legacy member (which is in EVERYBODY'S worst interest regardless of whatever's happened) are the reason why people like him distance themselves from the community it the first place.

He distanced himself from the very beginning. (btw, my browser tells me that "shitbag" isn't a word.)

Reactions: the_randomizer

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
SolidSnake95, you're the hypocritical asshole here. Come back when *you* hacked something yourself, documented everything you found on a Wiki and gave that to the community. Why are you so butthurt about him not publishing the exploit he used? If you could hack consoles by complaining you'd have opened the 3DS in a heartbeat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc