Hacking Question Anybody bricked with the fake sx payload?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
imo, this thread needs to be locked, considering it is just a bunch of people debating if the people who ran it are at fault. 15 pages in, this isnt ending any time soon.
True, maybe OP should be updated with information on how to recover, e.g. only by a Raw NAND backup and nothing else. Trying to build a firmware with ChoiDujour and replace/flash everything fresh does not work.
@Filo97

You can just insert the information I just put into https://gbatemp.net/threads/anybody-bricked-with-the-fake-sx-payload.512285/#post-8161897

Last edited by wurstpistole,

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some don't seem to grasp the nuance of brickcode being released. Doesn't matter what form it took or if someone got lolbrickedcheapskate. It preyed on people who wanted a free solution for SX, you can prey on people who want anything.

When you go to load some little bit of code from now on are you going to checksum it? Look at the md5 hash? When lolbrickedcheapskate shows up in a file you thought was good for some minor fix, then what?

Reactions: sj33

SekateSwitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
nintendo perm banned me on splatoon 2 im getting a new switch on ebay and selling the broken one since it isnt worth it

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It certainly changes the dynamic of how to treat code that is released. Should we only trust code which is released by established devs? Who is trustworthy? Even established devs have planted malicious code in their software before as anybody involved in the Vita scene will be well aware of. On the flipside, the current most recent 'trusted' compiles of ReiNX aren't official releases.

If one person can release a brick code, anybody can. It's a bigger problem than 'haha all those people who tried to steal SX'.

Trappie

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You realize that one of the more vocal persons that got bricked, one that has posted several times in this thread, actually owns an SX OS license and was just trying this due to curiosity?
You should drop that nonsense about "trying to be cheap" and "save $30" because it only show you didn't even read the thread and relegates your posts to the dumbest type of trolling.
You sound like you got bricked, top of the morning to you sir.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Used game sales and piracy have the same effect on devs.

Not exactly. Many people trade in old games to buy new games they wouldn't otherwise afford. It's not going to be 1:1 but they still benefit more than if you decide to pirate.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

your $300 car is fucked and the shady guy is laughing at you

Until the rage takes over and you knife him to death... Lesson here is don't act like a cunt. You might find it funny for a while but someone deranged will stop you laughing permanently.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You sound like you got bricked, top of the morning to you sir.
I haven't used a CFW nor plan to do it until the console's EOL, as I stated in a previous thread.

I guess me not siding with people making fun of others confuses you somewhat. But I believe there's no reason to be an asshole, no matter if you bricked or not.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I tried a bit more with my unit that I restored a 5.1.0 fw to it with ChoiDujour - I used bricmii to remove the AutoRCM. That results in Nintendo Logo showing and then blackscreen. I used gptrestore as well to fix that gpt on the Emmc. No use either.
I can boot hekate and when trying to launch the FS510-exfat_nocmac_nogc.kip1 it shows the same error as right after the brick - Shows Nintendo Switch logo for a while, then blackscreens.
There's nothing more I can try, really. I am quite sure that this can not be fixed with anything but a raw NAND backup.

Last edited by wurstpistole,

DarthDub

Amateur Hacker
Trophies
Website
www.gaiaonline.com
XP
Country
United States
Intentionally malicious software is a thing now? Oh, the humanity. Should always wait for peer reviews before using unless you want to be the tester and risk having a bricked console. I salute you for being brave so others don't have to brick.

NO_ob

Trophies
XP
Country
I tried a bit more with my unit that I restored a 5.1.0 fw to it with ChoiDujour - I used bricmii to remove the AutoRCM. That results in Nintendo Logo showing and then blackscreen. I used gptrestore as well to fix that gpt on the Emmc. No use either.
I can boot hekate and when trying to launch the FS510-exfat_nocmac_nogc.kip1 it shows the same error as right after the brick - Shows Nintendo Switch logo for a while, then blackscreens.
There's nothing more I can try, really. I am quite sure that this can not be fixed with anything but a raw NAND backup.
just rma your switch my dude

Moquedami

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This seems like a coordinated move, with the distribution of the file in multiple sources at the same time and various fake confirmations of it working. I wonder if every responsable was banned and if we will ever know who was behind it all....

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
do we have as yet a source for this brickcode ? if you RMA what if ......... It was ninty with now a way to water mark the damage = proof you did the nasty and not replace unit ? They do need to get 20 million devices off the market .
I dont really think it was ninty as the success rate of this brick is short lived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: That YT was sooo Hysterical Syl. ROFL