Hacking Question Anybody bricked with the fake sx payload?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imo, this thread needs to be locked, considering it is just a bunch of people debating if the people who ran it are at fault. 15 pages in, this isnt ending any time soon.
What else do you expect people to do with their time? Play video games or something? Nobody plays video games in this forum.
/s

I'm really just enjoying this thread, though.

Creatable

Trophies
Website
hentaihaven.net
XP
Country
United States
Not for hurt anymore but......View attachment 136870
How to see an Easter bunny?! :rofl2:
anyone else notice that it says "PRESS VOL-"?
This picture was taken by someone who had an early copy (if not the original creator of the payload himself) of the payload with a function to keep you from automatically bricking yourself. If he wanted to brick, he could, if he didn't want to, all he had to do was shut down. Whoever posted that screenshot is the original creator.

Reactions: TAUSENN

intellettuanale

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
anyone else notice that it says "PRESS VOL-"?
This picture was taken by someone who had an early copy (if not the original creator of the payload himself) of the payload with a function to keep you from automatically bricking yourself. If he wanted to brick, he could, if he didn't want to, all he had to do was shut down. Whoever posted that screenshot is the original creator.
I swear just googled pozznx :rofl2:
I'm a noob! The one I launch on my console said something bad....:glare:

Last edited by intellettuanale,

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Copyright refers to the right to make copies. A pirate download and a used sale are entirely different.

There is consistency, you just don't like it because you want piracy to be OK.

"Copy" in copyright refers to a piece of work. Copyright refers to the author's right to dictate how their work is used.

There's a comprehension issue here. You've missed my point entirely. I'm arguing that used game sales AND piracy is bad. They both result in the developer seeing no revenue.

I'm done now. This is a sidebar conversation and we're having communication difficulties anyway. Good day sir.

darkflame808

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn I was sad when I saw the crack drop. I thought it was the end of developments then a few days I come back and see this. Lol a smile fell upon my face. Just support the dev and buy the license. I'm hopeful they bring back the brick moving forward. It serves as an investment to all those who paid to support.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Damn I was sad when I saw the crack drop. I thought it was the end of developments then a few days I come back and see this. Lol a smile fell upon my face. Just support the dev and buy the license. I'm hopeful they bring back the brick moving forward. It serves as an investment to all those who paid to support.
And this is the evidence of what i have been saying constantly on this thread. That the people acting like this are mostly sxos users ( not all but quite q lot) because of buyers justification.

Reactions: TAUSENN

darkflame808

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course sx users would want to defend the sxos. I'm all for free competition. I'm perfectly OK with people wanting to break sxos. Just be advised of the risks. Just as we all are when we decide to go cfw. Don't cry if you get banned. Same as this. Don't cry if you brick. It's the life of the pirate. You risk viruses every time you install some lame patch or crack. You risk bans with cfw. You risk bricks with trying to get sx for free. In this case it was a bait line and hook action but that's the risk you take. If you don't want to take the risk or bricks. Buy the os. If you don't want to take the risks of bans. Buy the game.

achandab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
totally agree. Was hoping they wouldn't give in to the pressure of the scene. Hoping they still have it in there somewhere.

Reactions: darkflame808

kamesenin888

Trophies
XP
Country
Well I knew that this would happen in the end lol, when hekxys and crybaby delivered the decryoter, the funny part is that this brick is far worse than WANNA PLAY? Of tx lol well they got what they deserve dor trying something from an unknown source

mattytrog

You don`t want to listen to anything I say.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
eBay listings incoming...

"Nintendo Switch - Untested"

"Came in a job-lot.
Have no USB cable to test.
Have no eyes to look at LCD.
Have no fingers to press power button.
I live in a cave so don`t have access to mains electricity
No refunds"

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"Copy" in copyright refers to a piece of work. Copyright refers to the author's right to dictate how their work is used.

It refers to their right to make copies. With software it's more complex because using software copies it, first when loaded into ram and then when the cpu fetches instructions. This copying is sometimes authorised explicitly and we take for granted that we have the right implicitly https://www.blplaw.com/media/pdfs/News and Views/SCL_-_November_-_THEA_article.pdf

There's a comprehension issue here. You've missed my point entirely. I'm arguing that used game sales AND piracy is bad. They both result in the developer seeing no revenue.

There is a comprehension issue on your behalf. I understand what you're arguing and why. I disagree that game sales and piracy are equal in terms of developer revenue.

Developers see no revenue from piracy. From used game sales they was the original sale, which may not have happened if used sales weren't possible. They may also see a further sale with the money generated from the used sale. The same argument that piracy isn't always a lost sale is also true for second hand sales don't always result in the developer receiving no extra money. You can't cherry pick.

The only reason I can see why you'd ignore this and instead push your agenda is as some weird logical falacy, i.e. "if second hand sales are ok, then piracy is ok to" & you're too set on justifying piracy to see logic.

Last edited by smf,
D

Deleted User

Ah so FG isn't low enough on the boot chain then to bypass the signature check. That truly does suck, and took a bunch of exploitable consoles out of commission.
That doesn't make any sense because some people are saying hekate will work?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That doesn't make any sense because some people are saying hekate will work?
Hekate does work, but only the payload - not booting into Horizon.
they got what they deserve dor trying something from an unknown source
Circlejerk again. Be more concerned about that this brick payload's source is up on gitlab for anyone to compile and spread.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, so not many people are aware of what this payload actually does.
It does not replace your entire nand with garbage (that would be a huge waste of time) it just overwrites your gpt and part of your PRODINFO. Due to the fact that your PRODINFO is console specific, there is no way to recover without a NAND backup.

How much of PRODINFO is replaced? All I've found via google so far is "PRODINFO is a raw binary blob containing the main calibration data, which ranges from hardware IDs to system keys."

Andalitez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How much of PRODINFO is replaced? All I've found via google so far is "PRODINFO is a raw binary blob containing the main calibration data, which ranges from hardware IDs to system keys."
Wouldn't it be possible to rebuild this file if you had the info from the original console using biskeysdump?

DaveLister

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Maybe Microsoft will mistakingly replace all hack resources for ninty with that payload . Accidentally on purpose . Ninty would pay out for that slip up I would imagine.

PT333

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Microsoft will mistakingly replace all hack resources for ninty with that payload . Accidentally on purpose . Ninty would pay out for that slip up I would imagine.
Even if that was true, It'd be ineffective now. Massive awareness had been spread and even newbies will now make backups.

Reactions: intellettuanale

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Even if that was true, It'd be ineffective now. Massive awareness had been spread and even newbies will now make backups.
Yeah, I even considered making a NAND backup once I get my new console.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Theoretical question - as I can still boot Hekate, could I make a NAND backup of the bricked console, and extract a CERT to use with CDN? The console is worthless anyway now, but the cert could at least be used.
[edit] ah, I suppose not, as the cert gets extracted from PRODINFO.bin, which is exactly what this payload fucked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: ... that's rough buddy