Any way to play local games via the internet?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by apoptygma, Feb 19, 2015.

1. apoptygma
    OP

apoptygma GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 30, 2010
    Does anyone know off the top of their head if it would be possible to create a hotspot on PC and route ad-hoc requests over the internet to another person running a similar access point? I know there was a plugin for PSP CFW which accomplished this (as many games supported only ad-hoc and not infrastructure mode) however I have not seen anything similar for 3DS.

This would likely be where things end up if Nintendo ever lift their game and start banning all unlicensed games being played online.

2. apoptygma
    OP

Mar 30, 2010
    I'm thinking something along the lines of a wireless adapter in ad-hoc with a spoofed MAC tunneled through hamachi might work

Margen67 likes this.
  3. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 30, 2014
    United States
    No, too slow.

4. apoptygma
    OP

Mar 30, 2010
    How's that? It works on PSP and these games probably use the same netcode for local as internet (ie. it will tolerate higher pings)
    The same concept was discussed for the DS on these forums but never went ahead.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/local-over-wifi.61176/
    It would also serve the added bonus of re-enabling internet MP for old DS games

Margen67 likes this.
  5. TUWieZ

TUWieZ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2014
    United States
    You're thinking of NFC tunneling. I've looked into this a while ago when nintendo was shutting down their NDS WFC servers, and the most I've found are some 2005/2006 posts about it :P Not even any viable info either, just old cryptic rumors. There's not much software out there for this kind of thing besides a tool for sending download play demos from PC to NDS. From what I remember the original DS uses its WEP wifi card for DS to DS NFC connections, but via NFC's wifi layer so it's network isn't seen by other wifi enabled tools.
    3DS (and maybe DSi not sure) uses WPA for its wifi card for tighter encryption

If you have an original NDS/DS lite its possible to see the NFC network it creates for pictochat as a key-protected wifi network with most modern wifi enabled devices, it showed up on my laptop's avalible network list as "Hidden network".
    I've only been able to see the Hidden network to appear on one game though and its the demo card of metroid prime hunters (first hunt) that came with the original fat DS.

Also you'd need 2 wifi cards or a wifi card and wired connection to be able to relay whatevers captured via NFC over the web, one wifi card has to be dedicated to the DS

Margen67 likes this.
  6. apoptygma
    OP

Mar 30, 2010
    I was thinking it would be quite limited in that you'd need a specific wireless card in order to act as a relay but a USB-Wifi adapter is pretty cheap considering what you're getting out of it. The ability to play DS games online, the inability to be banned when playing any 3DS games etc etc. Is there any doco anywhere about the 3DS (or DS) ad-hoc networking?
    This was all I could find easily http://3dbrew.org/wiki/NWM_Services#Local-WLAN
    It's not completely clear how the connection is initiated and how you could get a wifi module to imitate a peer. Beyond that initial connection I'm sure any garden-variety L2TP VPN will keep the systems on each end of the tunnel talking.

7. apoptygma
    OP

Mar 30, 2010
  8. TUWieZ

TUWieZ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2014
    United States
    http://akkit.org/dstunnel/ This is the abandoned 2006 project I believe.

I understand also the issue of latency before anyone points this out, but its worth noting that this was last attempted in 2006, almost a decade ago. Optimizing software for the packet transfer part would most definitely be easier now than it was on a 2006 PC :P

Margen67 likes this.
  9. apoptygma
    OP

Mar 30, 2010
    Margen67 and TUWieZ like this.
  10. Oishikatta

Oishikatta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 30, 2014
    United States
    Higher pings may be tolerable by the games yes, but I do not believe so by the 3ds. Assuming this to be true, the problem is then that you can't simply forward or proxy the 3ds' communications. That's not to say local play via internet is impossible, just improbable.

11. apoptygma
    OP

Mar 30, 2010
    I don't see any reason to believe you'd not be able to forward network traffic, what are you basing that statement off?

Margen67 likes this.
  12. apoptygma
    OP

Mar 30, 2010
  13. Kylecito

Kylecito eats warnings for breakfast

May 6, 2009
    Cote d'Ivoire
    I had researched this a while ago and the main problem is that Ninty uses their own protocol for wireless communication which relies on incomplete packets. Unless you install a custom driver on your card or use any other way of handling this, and can solve the latency use, it's pretty much impossible.

TUWieZ likes this.
  14. apoptygma
    OP

Mar 30, 2010
    Mind sharing what you found?

TUWieZ likes this.
  15. TUWieZ

TUWieZ Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 17, 2014
    United States
    Its just a matter of creating the software that can utilize the proper wifi card to sniff for the DS/3DS' NFC range :P

a 802.11b/802.11g wifi card is really all that's needed

16. apoptygma
    OP

Mar 30, 2010
    Only certain cards can enter promiscuous (sniffing) mode, but there's definitely cheap ones with that feature.

TUWieZ likes this.