Local over Wifi

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Don Andy, Sep 24, 2007.

Sep 24, 2007

Local over Wifi by Don Andy at 11:14 AM (3,999 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Don Andy
    OP

Member Don Andy GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    OK, this is pure speculation (and maybe it's already been done) but seein such projects as XLink Kai, shouldn't it be theoretically possible to "simulate" a local connection between two DS over the internet?

So, basically, the DS connects to a "simulated DS" on the computer through an adapter of sorts. The "simulated DS" then transmits the signal over the internet to another simulated DS on another computer, which in turn then transmits it to his respective real DS.

As for said adapter, I heard of manipulating a WLAN-dongle, so it could transmit demo's to the DS (similar to Download Play), so theoretically you probably could use similar devices (or even the Nintendo Wifi Dongle).

As I said, this was just some speculation on my side. I'd lack the skills to even remotely try something like this, that's why I just wanted to throw the idea into the room.

Heh, and maybe there even IS something like this already, but I'm sure I would've heard of it then already [​IMG]

2. cubin'

Member cubin' GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Australia
    I was thinking about this the other day too. It'd be great to have this so we could play multiplayer games that don't have nintendo online wi-fi over the internet. I don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

any information would be awesome

3. Don Andy
    OP

Member Don Andy GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    I'd even attempt it myself, but I lack any knowledge about how the DS works, how the DSDS communication works, and how to fiddle with drivers, so I could built up a connection between PC and DS that'd make the DS think the PC is a DS >.

4. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    there were a project for a tunneling, called DStunnel
    http://www.akkit.org/dstunnel/

Written by Stephen (SGstair), author of well known DSwifi lib.
    but he stopped the development to rewrite it from start using his DSwifi lib.
    Know there are nothing done at all, too bad [​IMG]

Now he is working on Wii Reverse engineering.
    I read a while ago he was planning to make DS tunnel and the Wii usable together.
    I don't know if it's still in his mind.

Actual website : http://blog.akkit.org/
    his actual project : http://wiki.akkit.org/SgstairChecklist

@Don andy
    the DSDS work from a lower layer than TCP-ip
    I think it works only with MAC adress, so you will have to create a new protocol/driver for the PC side software to forward only his MAC layer, not the TCP-IP layer, channels or SSID. Then rebuild one to send it to the net.
    I don't know how the PC can detect the data from a DS, for me it's like sniffing wifi packet from another network, as the DS don't send any IP nor connect to the PC SSID. only Linux + special wifi chipset can read packet form another SSID/MAC adress.
    I think I don't understand well enough how it works. someone could give better help.

I will try to find the Nifi layers graphics
    Here is all the DS wireless references : http://www.akkit.org/info/dswifi.htm

5. hollabackitsobi

Member hollabackitsobi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Yes, it could probably be done on the DS since it's been done on the PSP.

6. Doggy124

Member Doggy124 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Thailand
    DS to DS file tranfer homebrew would be great!!!

7. 5pYd3r

Newcomer 5pYd3r Newbie

Australia
    So your saying Hamachi but for DS......
    That would be AWESOME!

DS ftp

8. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Its come up in threads several times before, and it wouldn't be very useful.

9. 1man1dream

Member 1man1dream GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    holy **** that would be so freaking sweet >.

10. xJonny

Member xJonny ...

I don't see how it's possible to multi-task by having that so that a hamachi like program is run alongside a game e.g remove the cart and insert a ds game?

11. Jaejae

Member Jaejae Superfly Don't Used

New Zealand
    Fucking hivemind, was thinking the exact same thing about 20 seconds ago.

12. 6.cents

Newcomer 6.cents Newbie

United States
    What the fuck did he stop working on DSTunnel to do instead? Make a DS Waffle Iron?

13. alex

Member alex GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    ^Whoa mega-bump! [​IMG]

I don't even think the DS is powerful enough to do it anyways, maybe if Nintendo actually listened to us they could do something like the PSP-PS3, if the DS had some game go to Host, and the Wii could pick up the signal, so if a friend on the Wii goes to Join, and their Wii picks it up, they could play DS Local Play over WiFi, but Nintendo never listens. [​IMG]

14. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    The Wii can't do DS wireless and WiFi at the same time, it switches between the two.

15. Isaiah

Member Isaiah The Conductor

Australia
    make them switch faster than the spped of light LOL

16. Narin

Former Staff Narin The Cheat Master, kupo!

United States
    Unlike the PSP which does have tunneling software, the DS doesn't have an Operating system in which the games are ran from. It has a firmware which acts as a loader but thats it. When a game ia loaded, the memory that was used by the firmware is cleared to me made available to the game. So all the games have to implement WiFi and Internet connectivity themselves and they don't use the firmware for the request. Because of this, you can't simply create a tunneling software for the DS as you can with the PSP which uses the PSP firmware to handle internet connectivity.

Work has been done to try to add tunneling support for the DS but it was deemed impossible or not feasible and was dropped. For one, it would require hardware modification on the DS itself and external hardware to handle the requests. Also how local multiplier works, is that the DS expects 0 lag or delay with its requests since the people are so close together to one another. Even if theres a few milliseconds of lag during a local multiplier game, the connection would end up getting dropped, which is a problem with playing games over the internet. Internet requests simply have to high of a latency to make tunnel local multiplayer games over the internet. The DS simply wasn't built for it.