any way to add the OOT exploit to my own save?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Zidapi, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Zidapi
    OP

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    I am looking to inject Gateway's exploit save slot into my own save backup so I can have both the launcher and my own save game side by side.

The problem is that (I think) the save is encrypted so it's not simply a matter of copy/pasting with a hex editor.

I realise that Yellows8 has posted the source for this save hack on his GitHub, but I don't know the first thing about compiling binaries and such.

What I'm looking for is a simple tool based off of Yellows8' source that modifies my existing save backup allowing both save slots concurrently.

Edit:
    Can a mod add a question mark to the thread title? It's not especially clear that this is a request and not a guide. Sorry!

I'm asking for a fish here, but I'd be satisfied with being taught how to fish too :)

2. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    GW uses save slot 1 and I suppose you want to use save slot 2 or 3 for your save. Wouldn't work because that is where the buffer overflow is written. Notice how the text goes off the screen, that's the code 'trespassing' into the other save slots.

Zidapi likes this.
  3. davhuit

davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    Just keep a backup of your save file, and reinject it when needed?

Or try to find a Cubic Ninja and use it instead of OOT (Cubic Ninja is far more stable to load the exploit anyway).

4. Zidapi
    OP

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    Fantastic, thanks for the concise explanation of why my request isn't possible.

I know just enough about exploits to understand the concept of a buffer overflow. If you'd been any more technical in your explanation I probably wouldn't have understood.

5. lPolarisl

lPolarisl GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2015
    Hungary
    So, all 3 save slots are needed for Gateway to launch itself ?

6. Zidapi
    OP

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    I'd already backed up my save as suggested. I haven't played it in years, if I get the urge to do another play through I can easily restore my progress.

So it seems. I'm seriously considering investing in a sky3DS purely for booting exploit games at this stage.

7. blindseer

blindseer Past Generation Gamer

Jan 17, 2015
    United States
    Earth
    I ripped my copy to cia and then used the cfw and sdf to rip my save to the cia. So the cart has the hacked save and the cia has my progress save... best of both worlds imo.

8. Zidapi
    OP

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    It's a good suggestion but if I did that I'd have no way of getting my save back on my cart.

Well not at this stage anyhow, there may be an ARM11 homebrew utility that will allow us to encrypt/decrypt saves in the not too distant future.

My current solution seems to be the best for me at this point.

9. lPolarisl

lPolarisl GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2015
    Hungary
    Gateway's menu allows copying saves from sd to retail cartridges...

10. Technicmaster0

Technicmaster0 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Yeah, just dump your Zelda game and play the dump with your save backup.

11. UraKn0x

UraKn0x Official senpai

Mar 20, 2014
    France
    Huh... You can create save files in slots 2 and 3 and both your game and the GW save will work perfectly... If you give me your original save file I may be able to put it in file 2 or 3 on the GW save... I guess I'll make a tutorial later on how to transfer an original save to the GW save.

12. fuyukaidesu

fuyukaidesu Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2015
    France
    How does one sign saves ?

13. lPolarisl

lPolarisl GBAtemp Fan

Jan 24, 2015
    Hungary
    This is interesting ! But how do you do it ? It requires .sav decription, no ?

14. UraKn0x

UraKn0x Official senpai

Mar 20, 2014
    France
    lPolarisl likes this.
  15. Zidapi
    OP

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    I'd love to see a tutorial for this if you can.

16. Dan-the-Rebirth

Dan-the-Rebirth GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Australia
    me too!!! i realy want to finish my mastequest on 100%

17. Aroth

Aroth GBAtemp Addict

Apr 14, 2015
    United States

Any progress on this?

18. Zidapi
    OP

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    No tutorial was posted to my knowledge :(

19. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    You actually could restore the save to the cart at a later date using SDF on PBT/palantines cfw, or using NTR 2.0 + GW with SDF on n3ds consoles, it would just be a matter of dumping the raw save files using SDF/NTR and re-injecting back to the cart

Ps the whole decryption stuff is a sort of 1 way thing, you could do that to dump the save too, but it wouldn't really help as you shouldn't inject it into anything without using SDF/NTR anyway