Homebrew any way to add the OOT exploit to my own save?

Zidapi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am looking to inject Gateway's exploit save slot into my own save backup so I can have both the launcher and my own save game side by side.

The problem is that (I think) the save is encrypted so it's not simply a matter of copy/pasting with a hex editor.

I realise that Yellows8 has posted the source for this save hack on his GitHub, but I don't know the first thing about compiling binaries and such.

What I'm looking for is a simple tool based off of Yellows8' source that modifies my existing save backup allowing both save slots concurrently.

Edit:
Can a mod add a question mark to the thread title? It's not especially clear that this is a request and not a guide. Sorry!

I'm asking for a fish here, but I'd be satisfied with being taught how to fish too :)

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I am looking to inject Gateway's exploit save slot into my own save backup so I can have both the launcher and my own save game side by side.

The problem is that (I think) the save is encrypted so it's not simply a matter of copy/pasting with a hex editor.

I realise that Yellows8 has posted the source for this save hack on his GitHub, but I don't know the first thing about compiling binaries and such.

What I'm looking for is a simple tool based off of Yellows8' source that modifies my existing save backup allowing both save slots concurrently.

Edit:
Can a mod add a question mark to the thread title? It's not especially clear that this is a request and not a guide. Sorry!

I'm asking for a fish here, but I'd be satisfied with being taught how to fish too :)
GW uses save slot 1 and I suppose you want to use save slot 2 or 3 for your save. Wouldn't work because that is where the buffer overflow is written. Notice how the text goes off the screen, that's the code 'trespassing' into the other save slots.

Reactions: Zidapi

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Just keep a backup of your save file, and reinject it when needed?

Or try to find a Cubic Ninja and use it instead of OOT (Cubic Ninja is far more stable to load the exploit anyway).

Zidapi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GW uses save slot 1 and I suppose you want to use save slot 2 or 3 for your save. Wouldn't work because that is where the buffer overflow is written. Notice how the text goes off the screen, that's the code 'trespassing' into the other save slots.
Fantastic, thanks for the concise explanation of why my request isn't possible.

I know just enough about exploits to understand the concept of a buffer overflow. If you'd been any more technical in your explanation I probably wouldn't have understood.

Zidapi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just keep a backup of your save file, and reinject it when needed?

Or try to find a Cubic Ninja and use it instead of OOT (Cubic Ninja is far more stable to load the exploit anyway).
I'd already backed up my save as suggested. I haven't played it in years, if I get the urge to do another play through I can easily restore my progress.

So, all 3 save slots are needed for Gateway to launch itself ?
So it seems. I'm seriously considering investing in a sky3DS purely for booting exploit games at this stage.

blindseer

Past Generation Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I ripped my copy to cia and then used the cfw and sdf to rip my save to the cia. So the cart has the hacked save and the cia has my progress save... best of both worlds imo.

Zidapi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I ripped my copy to cia and then used the cfw and sdf to rip my save to the cia. So the cart has the hacked save and the cia has my progress save... best of both worlds imo.
It's a good suggestion but if I did that I'd have no way of getting my save back on my cart.

Well not at this stage anyhow, there may be an ARM11 homebrew utility that will allow us to encrypt/decrypt saves in the not too distant future.

My current solution seems to be the best for me at this point.

UraKn0x

Official senpai
Trophies
XP
Country
France

Huh... You can create save files in slots 2 and 3 and both your game and the GW save will work perfectly... If you give me your original save file I may be able to put it in file 2 or 3 on the GW save... I guess I'll make a tutorial later on how to transfer an original save to the GW save.

lPolarisl

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Huh... You can create save files in slots 2 and 3 and both your game and the GW save will work perfectly... If you give me your original save file I may be able to put it in file 2 or 3 on the GW save... I guess I'll make a tutorial later on how to transfer an original save to the GW save.
This is interesting ! But how do you do it ? It requires .sav decription, no ?

Zidapi

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'd love to see a tutorial for this if you can.

Aroth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Any progress on this?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It's a good suggestion but if I did that I'd have no way of getting my save back on my cart.

Well not at this stage anyhow, there may be an ARM11 homebrew utility that will allow us to encrypt/decrypt saves in the not too distant future.

My current solution seems to be the best for me at this point.
You actually could restore the save to the cart at a later date using SDF on PBT/palantines cfw, or using NTR 2.0 + GW with SDF on n3ds consoles, it would just be a matter of dumping the raw save files using SDF/NTR and re-injecting back to the cart

Ps the whole decryption stuff is a sort of 1 way thing, you could do that to dump the save too, but it wouldn't really help as you shouldn't inject it into anything without using SDF/NTR anyway

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.