Decrypt & re-encrypt saves for "most" games (sort of)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by gamesquest1, Apr 10, 2014.

1. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Ok so i figured out a little method for decrypting saves for most games(doesn't appear to work for pokemon...maybe its just nand saves, suppose it could be that the existing tools don't work with the nand style save dumps...)
    this method will not decrypt your existing saves you will be forced to make a new save so back them up before messing with this, but it should allow you to decrypt your saves for most/all Card 1 games.
    i have tested it on bravely default, yoshi's new island and a few others and it appears to work fine for its intended purpose, i really don't know all that much beyond this so please don't ask me for cheats etc etc but im sure some people will find it interesting

anyway's this is not actually decrypting 6.x saves, its just forcing the game to use the very old and already hacked save technique that had the repeating CRT, meaning existing programs for decrypting saves will work for saves from newer games, you can open them up in 3dsexplorer, i shared this with people i figured it might be useful for, but oh well lets see if anyone else wants to have some save hacking fun

basically the same deal as the bravely default save fix i shared the other day but this time your editing the .3DS file to output the basic encryption

Super easy to follow pictures
    Step 1 : (optional) check your rom
    [​IMG]

STEP 2 : Open your Rom in a hex editor and look for the CCI Flags (0x188)
    [​IMG]

STEP 3 : EDIT THE CCI FLAGS TO "00 00 00 00 01 00 00" making sure to leave 0x18D set to 01

[​IMG]

STEP 4 : (optional) Check your rom again and make your you set the Flags correctly
    [​IMG]

STEP 5 : Go create a new save in game, once created you can simply open the save up with whatever decrypting tool you are using

[​IMG]

STEP 6 : (optional) Have fun ! :rofl:

2. gamefan5

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Aug 29, 2010
    Canada
    Somewhere in this Earth
  3. MelonGx

MelonGx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 8, 2009
    China
    Is this means that we can use legitmate cart's saves for Gateway by modifying ROM like what you posted?

4. gamesquest1
    OP

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    no, it just means people can decrypt saves for newer games....they still have to make a new save file to do it though, but i figure some people may want to look into save hacks for newer games :D

5. deoFusion

deoFusion Member

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2005
    Neat trick

6. someonewhodied

someonewhodied Lazy Person

Sep 21, 2008
    United States
    So this can only be used with GW3ds games. Useful though. Getting on it right now.

7. someonewhodied

Sep 21, 2008
    United States
    How can i reencrypt these saves?

8. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    so this doesn't work for existing saves, still cool though
    if we change the rom back, would the old save load, and be saved as a new type save?

9. YoshiInAVoid

YoshiInAVoid GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Banned
    Jan 10, 2011
    But there is still no public way to correct the checksums? So step 6 isn't yet possible.

10. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    He did say it was optional.

11. MYFW

MYFW Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 1, 2014
    Good :)

12. someonewhodied

Sep 21, 2008
    United States
    so has anyone bothered ever even making a tool for modifying old saves?

13. observerm

observerm Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2013
    Switzerland
    some info:
    2.2.0-4 KeyY Method
    0000000101010000 - card1
    0000000201020000 - card2
    6.0.0-11 KeyY Method
    0001000101010000 - card1
    0001000201020000 - card2

Repeating CTR Fail (MinFW:2.1.0-X?)
    0000000001010000 - card1
    some of these sav could be parsed by 3dsexplorer (rom id:38 39)
    some may cause a crash(seems need a try-catch block...) (rom id 123)

so...
    000X000Y010Z
    if X=0 then <6.0.0-11
    if X=1 then 6.0.0-11
    if Y=0 then 2.1.0-X?
    if Y>=1 then >2.1.0-X?
    if Y=Z=2 then card2
    am i right?

however, without a correct checksum. it means nothing

14. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    here is a small list of games I have tried this to so far
    ---------------------------------
    By "Game works", I am referring to if the game functions correctly after the change.

USA | Zelda - A Link Between Worlds - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Yoshi's New Island - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Sonic Generations - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | StarFox 64 3D - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Lego the Movie Videogame - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Mario Tennis Open - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Zelda - Ocarina of Time 3D - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Rayman 3D - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Adventure Time - Explore the Dungeon Because I Don't Know - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Adventure Time - Hey Ice King Why'd you steal are garbage? - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    EUR | Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Sonic Lost World - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    JPN | Meitantei Conan - Marionette Symphony - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Lego City Undercover - the Chase Begins - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Mario Kart 7 (w/ v1.1 patch[1.0 untested]) - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Gates to Infinity - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Paper Mario Sticker Star - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Professor Layton and the Asran Legacy - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Fire Emblem Awakening - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer
    USA | Super Mario 3D Land - Game works and save opens in 3DSExplorer

15. Zananok

Zananok Member

Newcomer
    Aug 28, 2013
    Norway
    Does this mean we can change the game ID header, so sharing saves will be possible?

Regards,
    Zananok

16. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    no :)

17. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    "This" doesn't mean you can share saves, nor has anything to do with the GameID header. This thread is for something else: forcing the use of the old saving method for games which are set to use the new saving method.

But sharing saves and changing save/Unique ID in the GW's dump header is possible.
    http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-scene-dumps-with-gw-2-2-online.365829/

18. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    I like your work questy but shit man that is way to confusing for the likes of me!!! :wacko:

19. drfsupercenter

drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

Mar 26, 2008
    United States
    Hmm. When you say forcing the old save method, if I'm using Pokémon X with a valid header, will it be using a "new" save method? Because I notice that my saves from a .3dz file don't work with Scene copies (or even my own dump named .3ds for that matter!) - obviously has something to do with being encrypted to the cartridge's header.

I saw a mention in another thread that someone was able to get online working while making it possible to share saves?? So in layman's terms, is it possible to have a copy of Pokémon X with a valid header (either from my own personal copy or someone else's that they shared on the forum), be able to go online with it, but force it to save in a way that will load on Scene ROMs named .3ds? (Obviously they won't be able to go online once you remove the header, but I'm still curious)

20. cearp

cearp 瓜老外

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    it is possible for everyone to go online with the same save but the unique header information would have to be shared also, at least at this time

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice