Homebrew Any status updates on an N64 emulator on 3DS

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Read my post, I don't mention any video. As for the N3DS, try by YOURSELF! It runs like shit.
Homebrew won't run at n3DS speeds unless specifically designed for it, so that doesn't say much.
I'm positive a N64 emulator optimized for n3DS would run better than 2 FPS. It might not be playable to most people but it would certainly be much better than 2 FPS.

TEINDTPA

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
You can build the thing. It WILL run on your 3DS. It will run like shit, but at least it will run.
Yea but he say that it is unfinished! and if he still working on psx i don't think we will see more commits in the coming time better hope on someone else porting the arm rasberry Pi n64 emulator to the New 3ds one!

edit: New 3ds as 4 core like the Pi , im pretty sure it could be done with some tweak!

Last edited by TEINDTPA,

machinamentum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can build the thing. It WILL run on your 3DS. It will run like shit, but at least it will run.
CTR64 cannot run any games at all (only the main CPU is even remotely close to being emulated right, no other part of the system is implemented yet). I'm not sure if it can even be built to run on 3DS at this point since all the multi-threaded code hasn't been ported yet (CTR64 has a small platform abstraction layer, most of development work and testing was done on desktop)

Reactions: SLiV3R and TEINDTPA

cheuble

squid
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Homebrew won't run at n3DS speeds unless specifically designed for it, so that doesn't say much.
I'm positive a N64 emulator optimized for n3DS would run better than 2 FPS. It might not be playable to most people but it would certainly be much better than 2 FPS.
That is true. With a proper emulator, we could run N64 at reasonable speeds. Tought, the emulator would never be able to run at full speed. But, that would requite a proper N64 emulator, and AFAIK, N64 is still very hard to emulate.

TEINDTPA

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
CTR64 cannot run any games at all (only the main CPU is even remotely close to being emulated right, no other part of the system is implemented yet). I'm not sure if it can even be built to run on 3DS at this point since all the multi-threaded code hasn't been ported yet (CTR64 has a small platform abstraction layer, most of development work and testing was done on desktop)
Do you think it is possible someday to port this to new 3ds? https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Nintendo-64

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States

TEINDTPA

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
It would have to nearly be completely rewritten for the 3DS's specific instruction set. Just because it's an ARM binary doesn't mean porting would be easy. With that logic we could easily port Android applications.
Well i mean porting it and rebuild some part because it is arm it would be more easy to port it than project 64 emulator!

Pandaxclone2

Pokemon Sprite Artist Hobbyist
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Yea but he say that it is unfinished! and if he still working on psx i don't think we will see more commits in the coming time better hope on someone else porting the arm rasberry Pi n64 emulator to the New 3ds one!

edit: New 3ds as 4 core like the Pi , im pretty sure it could be done with some tweak!

He means unfinished as in it's far from completed but stable. What is shown on that github currently is latest stable progress made. It doesn't mean it'll insta-play n64 games by any means but it is a start. At the absolute best it'll likely run some obscure homebrew apps made to run on the N64.

Also, if you look at the github changes you can note that he last worked on the N64 github, not the PSX.

TEINDTPA

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
He means unfinished as in it's far from completed but stable. What is shown on that github currently is latest stable progress made. It doesn't mean it'll insta-play n64 games by any means but it is a start. At the absolute best it'll likely run some obscure homebrew apps made to run on the N64.

Also, if you look at the github changes you can note that he last worked on the N64 github, not the PSX.

a long time ago yea ...i hope we get something in the end of life of 3ds era!

Pandaxclone2

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It takes years to get something as large as an emulator specifically optimised for a console/handheld unless it's ported and even then it's parts reworking the code for some months and parts expecting the console/handheld in question to be able to brute power the rest of it.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken two of those 4 cores are being used up by the firmware run on the system so already you have less to work with.

TEINDTPA

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
ICWHATYOUDIDTHERE.com
XP
Country
Mauritius
It takes years to get something as large as an emulator specifically optimised for a console/handheld unless it's ported and even then it's parts reworking the code for some months and parts expecting the console/handheld in question to be able to brute power the rest of it.

By the way, if I'm not mistaken two of those 4 cores are being used up by the firmware run on the system so already you have less to work with.
Yea but it use the 4 core for gaming so well i don't know for real but it could be possible even with 2 core.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

We can always hope for an N64 VC to be released. :^)

XD well gba and n64 vc could be something cool!

Pandaxclone2

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
It couldn't use all 4 cores for gaming. If that were the case then pausing out to the home menu would be impossible since one of the cores is used to run that in the background. I'm fairly sure another core is being used for security measures seperately from this as well.

doingitwrong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how did they remake the zelda games and star fox? was it rebuilt from source? also mario 64 the ds game.. having said that what other games do you really want?

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@doingitwrong

Goemon games, Mischief Makers, Chameleon Twist, Banjo games, Donkey Kong (with expanded ram, lol), Gauntlet, Smash (with those project M hacks, lol), Bomberman games, Megaman Legends, deeeeeeffffffinitely Quest64, and every other 'I 'memba that from Blockbusta' moment in the 90's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That sick boy yo
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was hoping I could add a custom ROM to this fire HD 10 tablet but guess no one's made twrp available
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Root it? Lol
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    That shit is so locked down, tighter than a nun's ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know if that's even possible for the firmware
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You can remove the bloat ware and ads easily but can't install a rom
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    20 some years later crash bandicoot still pisses me off
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Have you jail broke your ps4 yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been on since 9.0
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you gonna do your ps5 if the hack comes? Is there worries of bans, like the ps3
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably not I got cross play friends
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    By then I'll have some little mini pc anyway
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    only ps5 updated to latest firmware can go on psn, jailbroken ones just don't use psn or they risk getting flagged or banned, altho spouting profanity in online play alredy does that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Anyone dumb enough to get banned for spouting profanity deserves it.
  • Y @ YuseiFD:
    Then how come you do it and don't get banned ? or is it a question of getting caught doing it ?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wtf is the point of banning swearing in games? that's utterly a dumb decision

the new generation playing MWII won't be as hardened as the previous one playing original MW2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of video games? Kids playing video games won't be as hardened as the previous ones getting shoved down a hillside.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    exactly my point
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig or Mario's Early Years
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: kids, yall are fucking pussies, grow some asshair before you even dare touch My Friend Peppa Pig...