Any Region Changer- SYSCONF is jacked

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by mauifrog, Jun 12, 2011.

Jun 12, 2011
  1. mauifrog
    OP

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    4.2u Region changed Korean wii, unable to save new region settings. Failed attempt to region change to 4.2e. "saving...Unexpected error: SYSCONF_Savechanges Value: -102"
    Replaced setting.txt, no help there. Can someone look at this nandBinCheck and see if you know the issue. Could it be fixed with fstoolbox? Or only nand.bin format?
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Is this the same issue caused to sysconf by comex nand formater?

2. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    looks like this little guy might have something to do with it
    Code:
    checking uid.sys...
    UIDmap::Check() system menu entry is messed up: 4294967313 1

Checking 00000001-00000002 ...
    incorrect uid/gid for "data/setting.txt"
    and IIRC, -102 is IOS telling you that you dont have permission to access some file. it is the uid.sys that lists what title owns what file. seems somehow the setting.txt no longer belongs to the system menu.

3. mauifrog
    OP

Member mauifrog DA KINE WiiHacker

United States
    Any idea on how to fix uid.sys. The wii is functional, can replace setting.txt with replace tool but that did not help. Only thing I can think of is to use oneswananegger, or somehow fix uid.sys and replace it with fstoolbox.

4. airline38

Member airline38 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Taiwan
    Maybe you can try to use WiiMod (v2.6)

5. stefanox

Member stefanox GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hi giantpune,

can you tell use how we can fix the problem?

6. giantpune

United States
    i think that by default, that file exists as read-only. so even if it does belongs to a title, it still isnt able to be edited. but that title has the ability to chmod the file and then edit it. comex's formatter creates the file with full read/write permissions, so i dont think that is the cause of the issue. there no telling what kind of stuff you did to the wii to get it in that situation.

im guessing that with all those IOS that are fakesigned, you have at least 1 that has some FS permissions patch applied. you can use that IOS to edit the file directly. and you can use that IOS to try to change the file attributes to allow editing that file with a different IOS.

7. stefanox

United States

hi giantpune,

i have the nand backup, if you want can you look at it, if it's possible to restore for me?

thnx

8. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    From what Giantpune said you should be able to use one of your patched IOS to dump uid.sys from your system with FSToolbox (should be in a folder called "sys" I believe). Then open it in a hex editor. The first 12 bytes should look like this (in hex):

Code:
    00 00 00 01 00 00 00 02 00 00 10 00
    Then reinstall it with FSToolbox.

9. giantpune

United States
    that is only "normal" first entry. you cant really assume that his system menu UID is 0x1000. i say this because from that error line he posted says that the first entry in the uid.sys is for IOS17 - 0x1.

comex's nand formatter starts counting uids at 1 instead of 0x1000. so it seems like he used that formatter, and it installed first the IOS17 wad, not the system menu. if you do what you are saying, you will probably break more stuff than you will fix.

10. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Oh, OK I understand now. I was just looking at the WiiBrew page briefly. But I understand now that the UID counts up with each installed title, right? So how would he establish the correct UID for 1-2 on his system?

11. giantpune

United States
    the uid is generated before a title's folder and files are created. if you change an entry in the uid.sys, it will no longer match any of the files and folders that were created with that uid. the proper behaviour would be to change individual files to match what is in the uid.sys.

so, ISFS_SetAttributes() or whatever its called. or read the file to a buffer, delete the file, create the file with different attributes, write the data back.

12. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Ah, OK I understand. So he'll have to dump his uid.sys, check the UID for 1-2 then change setting.txt to have the same UID.

EDIT: Looks like its ISFS_SetAttr() [​IMG]

EDIT: Well I suppose he wouldn't have to dump it, just write a little app to get the correct UID and set setting.txt's UID to the same.

13. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    I've been playing with uid.sys recently.

The wiibrew info seems a bit off, as I often see uid.sys with other entries at the start, not what wiibrew says "The first entry in the file is always Title 1-2" Other things just now are taking my time, so I've not investigated further.

14. SifJar

United Kingdom
    It's basically the order in which titles are installed (or run? seems vague) according to a HackMii post here: http://hackmii.com/2008/07/factory2/

And normally starts at 0x1000 and increments by one each time.

15. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Thanks SifJar, the info there is a great read (and the links from it).

I've no idea why the start of the file has been diff before when I've seen it, but it must be that it is not a genuine uid I'm looking at, perhaps blanked and created in some app (no idea and it was a while ago while testing some emu nand and save related things). Perhaps I'm mixing the two. From reading that article it would seem most if not all uid are the same at factory point (other than region related).

16. SifJar

United Kingdom
    Yeah, seems so. As GiantPune mentioned, Comex's NAND Formatter does it differently. I guess depending on how you generated the emulated NAND it could have been different. (If it was dumped from a real NAND I guess it should have been same as most, but if it was generated from scratch perhaps it'd be different. Possibly the generator in question "installs" the titles in a different order than factory)

17. jskyboo

Member jskyboo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So this issue is caused by comex's nand formatter? Is there any other way people run into this issue? Airline, with good intentions, recommended using Wii Mod which currently would NOT be able to solve this problem but if this is a fairly common issue I could look into adding in the fix suggested. Currently Wii Mod assumes the system menu uid is 0x1000, and giantpune you said:
    What else changes the uid? It would seem normal running of the wii and most homebrew would not cause this problem. Only a few of the more dangerous tools would be able to cause this problem. Are there many other ways to cause this problem?

18. stefanox

United States

I dont use the comex nandformater.
    the only thing i use was Any Region Changer, thats it.

19. stefanox

United States
    When i try to restore the format nand, created with giantpunte program
    bootmii give me a error,

start bootmii, choose the option restore from sd.
    press A, give me the error:
    Bootmii not found, its to dangerous to continuem ect. ect