Hacking Any progress on a VC region patcher?

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
whatsa said:
EDIT: use v038 if the latest version gives you headaches about common-key.

All the versions I have tried, including v038, give me that common-key error. Does anyone know what to do about this?

D

Deleted User

Put the "common-key" (without .bin) in a "C:\Documents and Settings\\.wii\" folder.
To create a ".wii" folder you need to create a folder name "wii" then open a command prompt in the "" folder and type "rename wii .wii".
That should work....

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
Phantomdj said:
Put the "common-key" (without .bin) in a "C:\Documents and Settings\\.wii\" folder.
To create a ".wii" folder you need to create a folder name "wii" then open a command prompt in the "" folder and type "rename wii .wii".
That should work....

What *is* common key?
the error i get says: "cannot open common-key: No such file or directory"
I'm guessing this common key is a file I need to get... but where from?

Btw, the wadtools i downloaded came with no readmes or docunentation of any kind. Is there something I'm missing here?

Nightstalker

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
CambridgeGuy said:
Phantomdj said:
That should work....

What *is* common key?
the error i get says: "cannot open common-key: No such file or directory"
I'm guessing this common key is a file I need to get... but where from?

Btw, the wadtools i downloaded came with no readmes or docunentation of any kind. Is there something I'm missing here?
Again with link...

Download key here: http://foo.kronicd.net/Consoles/Wii/Other/...ols/0.1/key.bin

That should work....

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for the key file, ectracting the wad now works.
I've changed the region number from 1 to 2 and 3 (i tried both 2 and 3 -- i have a pal wii, and i'm trying to patch starfox 64 usa). i repacked but when i try running the game it still says "This channel can't be used", as if I had patched nothing. Any more suggestions?

btw, thanks for all this help, guys
smile.gif

whatsa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I don't think PAL will be as successful as NTSC-J, because of the video differences. It's probably a deeper compatibility issue than Nintendo's regional lockout. Changing that byte to 3 should disable the protection, but it won't ensure that the .wads will work on every Wii.

common-key.bin goes in the same folder as the .exes in v038. The whole "C:\Documents and Settings\\.wii\" thing was a dumb idea imo, but thats what you gotta do to use v039a, I believe.

Nightstalker, you may want to edit out that link now that CambridgeGuy has the file..

Crazydogg, what ROM are you using?

EDIT: die slippy die

EDIT EDIT: Is there a tool already to do this? If not, does anyone want me to write a batch file?

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
whatsa said:
EDIT EDIT: Is there a tool already to do this? If not, does anyone want me to write a batch file?

a file that will automate this time-consuming and (for me at least) not working process? now *that* would be AMAZING!
grog.gif

crazyDogg08

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
whatsa said:
I don't think PAL will be as successful as NTSC-J, because of the video differences. It's probably a deeper compatibility issue than Nintendo's regional lockout. Changing that byte to 3 should disable the protection, but it won't ensure that the .wads will work on every Wii.

common-key.bin goes in the same folder as the .exes in v038. The whole "C:\Documents and Settings\\.wii\" thing was a dumb idea imo, but thats what you gotta do to use v039a, I believe.

Nightstalker, you may want to edit out that link now that CambridgeGuy has the file..

Crazydogg, what ROM are you using?

EDIT: die slippy die

I used Mario 64 (NTSC -> PAL) and Ocarina of Time (NTSC->PAL)
Mario had a RegioByte of 00 and Zelda had 01. I patched both to 03... works!!!

Do you know the RegionByte of JAP VCs ???

this weekend i'll implement a signing method into my App "Wiizle Diizle Shiizle"... Or I just implement a function that uses the WADTools (by BFGR)... don't know yet...

crazyDogg08

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
ok i've finally got this working! EXCELLENT!! thanks so much for your help. *gives everyone a hug*

....there's one thing that really disappoints me though. the game (starfox 64 in this case) still runs in 50hz mode with no progressive scan. getting 60hz was my main reason for wanting to do this.

because sin and punishment runs in 60hz on a pal wii, i assumed that it's each individual game that determines the hz, and that it's not enforced by the wii console. but this seems to not be the case... at least for starfox. so, who has any ideas about forcing 60hz?

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
I injected a PAL super smash brothers rom into sin & punishment PAL and it said (ssb) that the game was not made to run in that system. Used USA rom and worked. I presume pal s&p requires an ntsc rom.

Pal zelda OoT worked with a ntsc rom (patched to spanish trans) but gives sound errors, as well as region freeing usa zelda OoT

crazyDogg08 said:
I used Mario 64 (NTSC -> PAL) and Ocarina of Time (NTSC->PAL)
Mario had a RegioByte of 00 and Zelda had 01. I patched both to 03... works!!!

Do you know the RegionByte of JAP VCs ???

this weekend i'll implement a signing method into my App "Wiizle Diizle Shiizle"... Or I just implement a function that uses the WADTools (by BFGR)... don't know yet...

crazyDogg08

BFGR wadtools are from torito21, lol

NTSC-J: 00
NTSC-U: 01
PAL: 02
Region Free: 03

Does your converted zelda OoT sound properly? When converting it gives sound errors for me, nothing else modified :S

whatsa

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
CambridgeGuy said:
ok i've finally got this working! EXCELLENT!! thanks so much for your help. *gives everyone a hug*

....there's one thing that really disappoints me though. the game (starfox 64 in this case) still runs in 50hz mode with no progressive scan. getting 60hz was my main reason for wanting to do this.

because sin and punishment runs in 60hz on a pal wii, i assumed that it's each individual game that determines the hz, and that it's not enforced by the wii console. but this seems to not be the case... at least for starfox. so, who has any ideas about forcing 60hz?

You patched NTSC SF64 to regionfree but it won't go 60hz on your PAL console?

crazyDogg08

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
suloku said:

Does your converted zelda OoT sound properly? When converting it gives sound errors for me, nothing else modified :S

Ups... But in the Sourcecode of the WADTools is written "by BFGR". I can't see the Nickname "torito21".

yes, the sound is "stuttering"...

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
whatsa said:
You patched NTSC SF64 to regionfree but it won't go 60hz on your PAL console?

that's right, i'm afraid so. it's rather unfortunate, isn't it. i'm gonna try this with a few other games (like ntsc sonic games that badly need 60hz), i'll let you know how i get on.

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
OK, starfox 64 ntsc may have ended up in 50hz on a pal wii, but i've tried this with mario 64 and i can proclaim HUGE SUCCESS! this game (for some reason i can't fathom) *does* work in 60hz! I just hope the majority of games are like this, and not like starfox!

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
crazyDogg08 said:
suloku said:

Ups... But in the Sourcecode of the WADTools is written "by BFGR". I can't see the Nickname "torito21".

yes, the sound is "stuttering"...

He may have 2 nicknames, sorry for that, he's torito21 at the forum he released the tools.

I'm gonna try adding zelda OoT 1.0 PAL to PAL zelda OoT, the rom at the channel is 1.2 (at least in usa version, need to check pal version)

kknn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Can someone please tell me if i would need to patch more than one byte to make it region free?
If its just a matter of patching one byte... i can code a region changer that resigns the .wad in like 3 minutes (not that i want to show off, but its really easier than it sounds
biggrin.gif
)
Else, what other bytes are changed to what? thanks

CambridgeGuy

Trophies
XP
Country
kknn said:
Can someone please tell me if i would need to patch more than one byte to make it region free?
If its just a matter of patching one byte... i can code a region changer that resigns the .wad in like 3 minutes (not that i want to show off, but its really easier than it sounds
biggrin.gif
)
Else, what other bytes are changed to what? thanks
no, that is literally all that need to be changed. just that one byte has to be changed to 03.
ok, so i'll check back in 3 minutes then
biggrin.gif

kknn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wow that was fast n.n
Starting now... check back in 3mins! (dont think i will make it though) X-D

EDIT: succes for one wad under linux, im gonna upload de source now and do a windows build after a few more tests (i'll have to restart to winblows for that)
and afterwards i'll need a brave tester because i cant use mi wii right now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @K3Nv2 I'm still not really convinced that sylverrez is a girl lol