Seeking Efficient Solutions for PCSX2 Texture Dumping

Ashadori

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As a newcomer to the this scene, I've made progress on my first texture pack, reaching about one-third completion. However, I'm puzzled by the absence of a program that universally forces texture loading via PCSX2, allowing for straightforward extraction. If such a tool could be developed, obtaining a complete game dump would no longer be a significant hurdle. While I understand the complexity involved, it surprises me that, despite years in the modding community, no such solution has emerged or been widely shared. I've heard that each PS2 game handles and stores textures differently, but I wonder if there are other methods or ongoing developments in texture dumping that could expedite the process, potentially bypassing the need to play through an entire game. If anyone knows anything please share here.

Last edited by Ashadori,

Plaidray

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Not that I know ,I think the dumped textures Name would change if you do it directly from the Disc as far as I know thats why some textures from an older PCSX2 plugin don't work on this plugin.

As far as I know this only works for PS3 games ,but you have to merge the textures with the Disco/ISO

kupo-on-gbatem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Extracting and renaming textures as pcsx2 needs them should generally be possible. Venomalia does that for dolphin (gamecube and wii emulator) games. However as someone who is following his project from the start on I know that it's not an easy task. Every development studio uses different file formats and each rom is built different (or atleast most of them). That makes it so difficult to make a tool which works for every game. Although Veno is doing a great job and his tool supports a bunch of games already, I would think his tool covers <1 % of the gamecube and wii library (mainly the most popular games). And extracting textures is only one part of the job. The 2nd part is to use the same hashes as pcsx2 uses. Which in general should be possible as Venos tool shows. But in the end it's a lot of work and apart from Veno I don't know anyone who has ever tried this, so I would not wait for it.

SadOrigami

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina
I much prefer the current method of having to load the texture in order to dump it because otherwise I wouldn't recognize what am I looking at when I start opening the files. I've made a hub here with the goal of collecting full game dumps in organized folders so you know that the characters folder is separated from the UI one, and so on, making it easier than ever to just upscale a game. It will take some time to gather dumps, but it will get easier.

Marcelus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
With Texmod is possible dump textures with pcsx2 but this working only In DirectX 9 and new pcsx2 do not have dx9 api and old versions pcsx2 do not have good support for games but some works. Is not much intuitive because in scene during gameplay you must choose texture what you want but is good if classic dump do not have all textures. I think 100% solution do not exist. Classic dump via pcsx2 is not bad. Same method using also Dolphin emulator.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Group statistics

Members:
Threads: