Hacking Question Any possible way to backup/restore my Switch’s NAND without micro SD card?

Switch1009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
So essentially, my Switch’s micro SD card reader has completely stopped working. I noticed the problems back when I was on 9.2, when my game would randomly freeze for no reason. I updated to 10.0.0, the latest firmware back then, thinking that it would fix the problem. However, it did not. Later on, the problems worsened. My Switch would keep showing that the micro SD card has been removed and that it will restart now. If I were to shake the Switch or touch it somewhere near the micro SD card reader portion, it would sometimes say that the micro SD card reader has been removed. Finally, the Switch’s micro SD card reader completely stopped being able to read one day.

I ordered myself a new micro SD card reader part and got my friend to help me replace it. Unfortunately, replacing it didn’t fix the problem. She even tried placing her own working micro SD card reader from her own Switch into mine, but it still doesn’t work. She thinks that it could be a software problem as it doesn’t look like there is anything wrong with the hardware.

It’s not a problem with the micro SD card either, because I’ve tried multiple micro SD cards, and they work with my others Switches, but not this one. I’ve even formatted it correctly and all.

I thought of backing up my NAND and doing a restore with a NAND backup file that I made back when I first got my Switch, but I realised that I will not be able to do so if the Switch is unable to read my micro SD card. I can’t use memloader to mount my Switch via HacDiskMount either, as memloader also requires a file to be on a micro SD card inside the Switch. I can’t get my prodkeys either, because Lockpick only saves the keys to the micro SD card.

Is there no other possible way I can backup my NAND and get my prodkeys with no access to the micro SD card reader? Is there any software I can use that allows me to make a backup over USB?

(Edit: I’d like to at least be able to backup all of my save files on that Switch, but I can’t do that without a micro SD card, can I?)

(edit 2: I asked around, and it sounds like the problem could possibly be that the connection from the micro SD card reader to the motherboard is severed, and I was told that the only way is to replace the entire motherboard, but it’s not easy to find a good quality one. We don’t have official repair service centres in my country too. Is there no hope for my Switch anymore? )

Last edited by Switch1009,

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to take your switch to a repair shop to have it looked at. SD reader is essential to load CFW or do anything. Something could be broken internally that you don't know

jeremiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You could plug your switch into your pc via Usb, use tegrarcm, hacdiskmount and nxemmcmanager or something I dont remember the name now. With your rawnand backup on pc of course.
That way you could flash your backup through Usb.
Edit: oh sorry I didnt read all tour post mentionning memloader ans your keys. Sorry.

Last edited by jeremiz,
Reactions: Mikee_B

Switch1009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
000E7E6E-7DDB-458B-B35E-30E81D3AF2FF.jpeg

I just thought of something: would it be possible to use an external Type-C to Micro SD card reader like this to backup my NAND and all my save data, and restore it from my original NAND? Would one of these work with the Nintendo Switch?

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 208529
I just thought of something: would it be possible to use an external Type-C to Micro SD card reader like this to backup my NAND and all my save data, and restore it from my original NAND? Would one of these work with the Nintendo Switch?
Nope. The switch wouldnt see it as a SD card it would just be a usb thumb drive.

Switch1009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Nope. The switch wouldnt see it as a SD card it would just be a usb thumb drive.
Is it even possible to use a ‘thumb drive’ with a Switch? And if it does, would there be some way I could backup the NAND to the ‘thumb drive’?

logandzwon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it even possible to use a ‘thumb drive’ with a Switch? And if it does, would there be some way I could backup the NAND to the ‘thumb drive’?

In theory, yes. The switch hardware can mount USB mass storage. (IE SX OS and tinfoil can install NSP and XCI from them.) However, I am not aware of any RCM payloads loads that have those features and libraries.

Switch1009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
In theory, yes. The switch hardware can mount USB mass storage. (IE SX OS and tinfoil can install NSP and XCI from them.) However, I am not aware of any RCM payloads loads that have those features and libraries.
So I can’t run CFW files from the USB mass storage then? I’d like to at least be able to backup all of my save data before I do a system restore, but it looks like it’s not possible without a functioning micro SD card reader :(

If it really isn’t a hardware issue, the only way to solve this is for me to restore my NAND and see if it works again, but I can’t do that in the first place if the micro SD card is not working (meaning memloader won’t work either). Is there really no way I can get memloader to work without having to rely on the memloader files that are to be placed on the micro SD card?

Switch1009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I noticed that memloader has a ‘USB Command mode’. Is that some way I can use memloader on my switch without a micro SD care?

Switch1009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Doesn't TegraRcmGUI have a tool that allows you to effectively use memloader without any files on the SD card? I could be mistaken.

Also, a NAND restore is highly unlikely to fix your issue.

No, that memloader thing under TegraGUI is the same as the memloader payload you download from the official website. It requires for there to be certain files on your micro SD card for it to work. Right now, I’m not concerned about making the SD card reader work already. I just want to extract all of my save data.

I brought my Switch in for repair, and was told that there was a short circuit in the SD card slot connector of the main board. It happens to modded sets all the time as the micro SD card is constantly being read, especially as modded sets are usually kept on all the time. They could attempt to repair it, but there was also a 50% chance that the Switch might be unable to power on after that, and then my only solution would be to get the entire main board replaced. I was told that all of my save data will be gone if they were to replace the main board. I don’t mind the costs, but I just want to preserve my save data if possible. And I can get my save data backed up as long as I can make a NAND backup of my switch without a micro SD card.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, that memloader thing under TegraGUI is the same as the memloader payload you download from the official website. It requires for there to be certain files on your micro SD card for it to work. Right now, I’m not concerned about making the SD card reader work already. I just want to extract all of my save data.

I brought my Switch in for repair, and was told that there was a short circuit in the SD card slot connector of the main board. It happens to modded sets all the time as the micro SD card is constantly being read, especially as modded sets are usually kept on all the time. They could attempt to repair it, but there was also a 50% chance that the Switch might be unable to power on after that, and then my only solution would be to get the entire main board replaced. I was told that all of my save data will be gone if they were to replace the main board. I don’t mind the costs, but I just want to preserve my save data if possible. And I can get my save data backed up as long as I can make a NAND backup of my switch without a micro SD card.
Then unless somebody forks memloader to do what we need it to do, there's probably no way to get your saves. It should be doable though.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

I suggest you find someone more skilled in microsoldering who can actually do that job without a 50% chance of fucking it up.

Switch1009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I suggest you find someone more skilled in microsoldering who can actually do that job without a 50% chance of fucking it up.
No, the problem isn’t the technician’s skill level. Apparently, the problem is that an attempt to repair that part of the main board doesn’t necessarily mean the main board will continue working after the repair. It’s supposed to be dependent on the current state of my main board. Based on their previous customers, the chance of success has been approximately 50% so far. The main board might not necessarily be in a repairable state. I’ve tried asking other repair companies already, and they gave me the same information.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No, the problem isn’t the technician’s skill level. Apparently, the problem is that an attempt to repair that part of the main board doesn’t necessarily mean the main board will continue working after the repair. It’s supposed to be dependent on the current state of my main board. Based on their previous customers, the chance of success has been approximately 50% so far. The main board might not necessarily be in a repairable state. I’ve tried asking other repair companies already, and they gave me the same information.
There is no way that replacing a component, assuming the repair was done correctly without burning the board, melting components, ripping off pads or the like, could make the system worse than it was, unless the component they put in is also faulty. I think they're not sure what's wrong and they're covering their asses by saying that, since they know they might break something in the process of figuring it out.

Switch1009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
There is no way that replacing a component, assuming the repair was done correctly without burning the board, melting components, ripping off pads or the like, could make the system worse than it was, unless the component they put in is also faulty. I think they're not sure what's wrong and they're covering their asses by saying that, since they know they might break something in the process of figuring it out.
No, they are not replacing any components. They are repairing the short circuit in the connector, which is part of the main board itself.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I just found some new information about the memloader thing from this link:

https://github.com/rajkosto/memloader

Apparently I can avoid having to use the micro SD card if I ‘pass the --dataini parameter to TegraRcmSmash.exe to load them via USB.’

Does anyone know how to do that?

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
No, they are not replacing any components. They are repairing the short circuit in the connector, which is part of the main board itself.

I just found some new information about the memloader thing from this link:

https://github.com/rajkosto/memloader

Apparently I can avoid having to use the micro SD card if I ‘pass the --dataini parameter to TegraRcmSmash.exe to load them via USB.’

Does anyone know how to do that?
That most likely involves replacing the connector. And while it can be a tricky thing to replace, the only way it would make things worse is if they caused a new short due to a poor repair job.

I guess you just put the ini file in the same folder as TegraRcmSmash and add --dataini whatever.ini to the command (in command prompt)

Switch1009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Woah, if this works I’m gonna be seriously elated. I’m going to try it right away.

I’m stuck even before I could get started on it. I don’t really understand the part on the page that mentions ‘the appropriate ini+binary files’. I see a tools folder with the following files, ‘blzcomp’, ‘cbfs2ini’, ‘elf2ini’ and ‘kip1decomp’. I’m not sure which is the one I need... or do I need all of them? And I don’t really get the adding the --dataini thing. I presume that I’m supposed to open up the ini file in command prompt, and then type in the ‘--dataini’ or something?

Switch1009

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Update: My Switch was successfully repaired in the end by that company, so I guess I don’t need to use memloader anymore.

Reactions: Lacius

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: