Gaming Any point and click adventure games for the switch?

HideoKojima

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wondering if there are any point and click adventure games for the switch, similar to Agon, syberia, Monkey Island?

Solution
How point and click do you want to get? Most of those things you mention are recognisable as point and click but less of the pixel hunter/random combo stuff of its more classical era. Going more into adventure or puzzle games there are a few things that might scratch the same itch (untitled goose game for instance, ignoring graphical differences then show someone some Sagebrush and then some Agon and they might tell you they are the same sort of thing and not exactly be wrong either, going further into the weeds then maybe Felix the Reaper, Observer or Neo Cab and a bunch of other cyberpunk themed adventure ish thing as that seems to be in right now. Right out there and coming back around would be Viviette if you feel 2d horror is more...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How point and click do you want to get? Most of those things you mention are recognisable as point and click but less of the pixel hunter/random combo stuff of its more classical era. Going more into adventure or puzzle games there are a few things that might scratch the same itch (untitled goose game for instance, ignoring graphical differences then show someone some Sagebrush and then some Agon and they might tell you they are the same sort of thing and not exactly be wrong either, going further into the weeds then maybe Felix the Reaper, Observer or Neo Cab and a bunch of other cyberpunk themed adventure ish thing as that seems to be in right now. Right out there and coming back around would be Viviette if you feel 2d horror is more your thing.) but https://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Nintendo_Switch is likely going to net you far more than commercial and homebrew offerings at this point. It is not that there is nothing but what there is mostly finds itself being ports or nothing likely to find themselves remembered along with things you will emulate or play as a port. Almost like being a fan of beat em ups was back on the 360.

If you have a PC, PS4 or similar and can play these sorts of games on them (for some handheld is a big draw) then this gets somewhat harder as most of these also feature there and are usually superior versions (or are at least far cheaper, have mods...). The Switch also seems to be the home of some throwaway ports of the more experimental/"experiental" games as well which often blur lines a bit here and lead some to calling things point and click in the absence of a more suitable term that is not "adventure" (what do I call Old Man’s Journey for instance? Night In The Woods? Mom Hid My Game? Even on the high end side of things then what do I do about L.A. Noire?). I would also encourage looking into each game for yourself as reviews are tricky here -- the mix of people that it is not a style they like (be it point and click in general or a subgenre of them -- as mentioned later my preferred brand of humour point and click is not what I often see here), that are more used to modern conventions (all fully voiced, tight touch screen controls and what have you as well as more straightforward logic -- Telltale did some good things but at the same time they have a lot to answer for) and people that actually like such things make scores and meta scores an even more dubious prospect than usual. Most will have long form videos you can skip around in and try to see if it is your thing.

That said there are a few, this year getting a fair few more.

The switch did get the Syberia games but it is a straight port, albeit a pretty good one.

The Raven Remastered is not the worst way to play the Raven games (them originally coming a bit after the games you mention in the opening post).

Grim Fandango and Broken Sword 5 got various ports, the former claiming to be remastered but that term is abused about as much as beta these days.

You mentioned Monkey Island so I should probably start with Thimbleweed Park as it was made by one of the same people that did that.

I mentioned Telltale above. Whether they count as point and click I don't know but I can't realistically ignore them either as part of this. Minecraft and Batman both getting the Telltale treatment.

Tokyo Dark ( https://gbatemp.net/review/tokyo-dark-remembrance.1175/ ) is a far cry from the heights of the genre but might be worth looking into, and at the same time probably represents the height of the Japanese efforts on the Switch (there are a handful of lesser ones here, things like Corpse Party for instance and if we fancy properly wandering over to the visual novel side of things then a few more still with World End Syndrome probably leading the pack there though Death Mark I could see being a dark horse here. I will skip the visual novel thing though beyond this).

Of all the things to make a return to gaming then FMV games are apparently now a thing again with the Switch having a few. The Infectious Madness of Doctor Dekker and Late Shift probably being where most start out there, though The Bunker has a few fans too. Point and Click fans seem rather divided when I speak to them about this style of gameplay with some actually really liking it and others incredibly indifferent to it all. Play it as you will. Lost diary games are nowadays usually done as lost phone games as well.

Return of the Obra Dinn might be worth a look, though we are straying a bit from point and click here.

The Eyes of Ara is still pretty new and will probably go down as "for fans of the genre" more than anything but I will note it as doing something right.

Silence ( https://gbatemp.net/review/silence.1006/ ) might struggle to have people remember it in 15 years but for now if you are out looking for things then maybe take a look.

State of Mind has some interesting ideas but is more of the conversational game than classic point and click. That said for many then the point and click formula was so as to get the interesting conversations, though if we start going down that path then we get things like Subsurface Circular and the Neo Cab game I mentioned above so I will tie that off there for now.

Dead Synchronicity got ported over along with a bunch of other things. It might do what you want, or it might not but I would definitely not leave it off a list like this.

Agatha Knife ( https://gbatemp.net/review/agatha-knife.769/ ) did a lot of things for a lot of people. Is perhaps not for everybody (even not withstanding the premise/setup) but where others are on this more to be able to say I did not skip them then this is one to make sure you look at.

Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet is more or less what you would expect with a name like that (which is to say not "I want to be Broken Sword") but still a pretty good example of it. That said for humour point and click I normally lean more towards discworld than that sort of thing so might be more it is not for me.

Carrying on with that we might look at Irony Curtain: From Matryoshka with Love.

Sticking with not my style of humour (but good at what it is) then Deponia also got a port to the Switch, though given it normally goes for not a lot on the PC then you might want to look there rather than paying Switch port tax.

Demetrios: The Big Cynical Adventure would be a further entry in that world.

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 actually comes closer to something I like here, and while unlikely to dethrone Monkey Island it closer to it than many things manage.

The Wardrobe might stand to be mentioned among these.

The Inner World was somewhat passed over at the time, maybe not entirely unfairly but if you are into classic point and click. It has a sequel that by most accounts did things better still.

Similarly "Her Majesty’s Spiffing" is a nice throwback but still falls a bit short of classic.

If we want to go really old school there is a very shined up port/remastering (can't call it a reimagining) of Shadowgate, but despite this version being rather pretty I would probably just bust out the NES emulator instead.

Plumbing the depths a bit more then Trüberbrook could do something for you, but most would say it is short and suffers from many of the old school problems of the genre.

Continuing in the depths then The Low Road I could see someone really getting along with but at the same time it is unlikely to be one of those hidden gem type affairs any time soon.
Same for "Detective Gallo", though I could see it being an intro to the genre, albeit a weaker one.

Bulb Boy I have not really considered in a few years and I don't know how well it might have aged or been upped by more recent efforts (I say having just mentioned Shadowgate which is far far far older). Still at the time it was really highly regarded and probably something you would feel good about introducing someone to the whole point and click thing with.

The Mystery of Woolley Mountain could get you somewhere, and is probably closer to where I would land for the silly/crude humour approach (even if I would never point someone at it that sought an example of the style and I needed to give an example worth having).

2064 Read Only Memories Integral might be one of the few "Switch version is the one to look at" efforts. Closer to a visual novel than you might like but not a slideshow with the occasional branching path. Mainly here to fill out the list though. While far from the worst "don't let your agenda get in the way of making a game" game it is a fairly good example of that pitfall, some enjoy it in spite of that though.

Yesterday Origins might be one of those games I look at as an interesting evolution (or step along the path) of the point and click genre, even if the resulting game lacks a bit.

Blurring the lines of what is actually point and click is Burly Men at Sea, and on the interactivity front is somewhat minimal but could be something that sticks with you.

The Lion's Song is technically a point and click but in the barest sense of the term. On the other hand it tells an interesting story you don't normally see the likes of in games.

The Red Strings Club... I once remarked in a review about the novelty of using microfiche in a game, if this was a contest cyberpunk thriller with a dash of pottery wheel minigame (seriously) would one up that.

Could you make Warioware into a point and click? The Darkside Detective tries that and some actually really like the results.

Violett launched with a lot of issues but if they fixed some it might be worth a look, or getting on another platform.

and to finish up for now I am not sure what I want to call Forgotton Anne, certainly has some serious platforming elements but nothing that individually I have not seen in games that would run on SCUMM.

Solution

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night