Is there any point upgrading to 18.0?

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozambique
Again, I think the opposite. If they don't need it, might as well wait until they do. By that time, there might be a new major firmware update available so by waiting, they'll only need to update once instead of twice.

(Though I can also confirm that I didn't run into any issues installing games on a 18.0.1 switch with dbi, whether via dbi backup or mtp. Saves stuff also works fine)

More and more games are getting released and/or updated with 18.0+ requirements. These are only the ones I have personally checked so there has to be plenty more that I haven't. I still say update now, because there's nothing like being in the mood to play a game then... "Damn it! I gotta fuck around with installing new FW before I can play."

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
Braid: Anniversary Edition
Animal Well
Earth Defense Force: World Brothers 2
Hauntii
Inazuma Eleven: Victory Road (Demo & Open Beta)
Dave the Diver
The Glass Staircase
Shiren the Wanderer The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2: Turbocharged
Hitman: Blood Money Reprisal
Trombone Champ
MLB The Show 24
NBA 2K24
Tales of Kenzera: Zau
The Legend of Legacy HD Remastered
Octopath Traveller
Little Kitty, Big City
Naaruto x Boruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Connections
Skullgirls: Second Encore
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron HD Remaster
Splatoon 3
Melty Blood: Type Lumina
Grounded
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade: Wrath of the Mutants
My Time at Sandrock
Grime: Definitive Edition
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
No Man's Sky
Mortal Kombat 1

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
More and more games are getting released and/or updated with 18.0+ requirements. These are only the ones I have personally checked so there has to be plenty more that I haven't. I still say update now, because there's nothing like being in the mood to play a game then... "Damn it! I gotta fuck around with installing new FW before I can play."

Inazuma Eleven: Victory Road
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
Braid: Anniversary Edition
Animal Well
Earth Defense Force: World Brothers 2
Hauntii
Dave the Diver
The Glass Staircase
Shiren the Wanderer The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2: Turbocharged
Hitman: Blood Money Reprisal
Trombone Champ
MLB The Show 24
NBA 2K24
Tales of Kenzera: Zau
The Legend of Legacy HD Remastered
Octopath Traveller
Little Kitty, Big City
Plus when the update don't work you don't know if updating firmware will solve your problem, so for at least a short while you may be in pain not knowing what went wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I have always advocate don't get itchy finger and update without knowing what pain might await you. Do your research and know that you won't get whacked if you update with your favorite app not working ( for example DBI may have some must have feature as far as you are concerned which don't work yet, bit me when I update to 17 and lucky this time round with 18 everything seems smooth )

Last edited by TomSwitch,

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have installed over 60 titles using DBI when on FW 18.0.1 and have had absolutely zero issues whatsoever. I don't buy the bit about it not being fully compatible.
It's duckbill007 himself who reported DBI not being fully compatible with the new firmware. Of all users of this forum, he's the one who should know best, he's the dev of DBI after all. Hopefully, he'll find some time to check the issues and release a quick fix.

Reactions: Blythe93

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozambique
It's duckbill007 himself who reported DBI not being fully compatible with the new firmware. Of all users of this forum, he's the one who should know best, he's the dev of DBI after all. Hopefully, he'll find some time to check the issues and release a quick fix.

That's nice. Doesn't change the fact that I've installed over 60 titles plus all dlc and updates that are available for those titles, all with zero issues. It might not be compatible in some other fashion, but the main feature people use it for is installations and there appears to be no issues on that end. They can chme in on what exactly isn't fully compatable if they'd like.

rave420

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Currently, Atmosphere has basic 18.0.0 support and I'm unsure whether it'll support later firmwares.

Why would it not support later firmwares? So far the Atmosphere team has been absolutely on the ball, so to speak, and I have no reason to believe that they're going to just vanish and disappear.

To add on to the discussion, I have been using DBI on 18.0.0 without any issues thus far. What issues are people reporting with it?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's nice. Doesn't change the fact that I've installed over 60 titles plus all dlc and updates that are available for those titles, all with zero issues. It might not be compatible in some other fashion, but the main feature people use it for is installations and there appears to be no issues on that end. They can chme in on what exactly isn't fully compatable if they'd like.
I agree this is the main purpose of DBI, and as long as this feature works flawlessly, most everyone will be happy. But DBI can do a lot more than just installing games. It would be annoying to try to use a feature and have it fail. We'll see what happens with the author, anyway.

Reactions: mathew77

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
But DBI can do a lot more than just installing games. It would be annoying to try to use a feature and have it fail. We'll see what happens with the author, anyway.
That's why we deliberately need it opensource, so we might fix it ourselves... Open sources rulez!

Reactions: BigOnYa

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's why we deliberately need it opensource, so we might fix it ourselves... Open sources rulez!
Yes, but I also respect the author's right to keep it closed. That's his decision. He was generous enough to share the fruit of his labor, and I'm thankful for that already.

Reactions: BigOnYa

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Yes, but I also respect the author's right to keep it closed. That's his decision.
Yeah but the fruit plants >> one (tasteful!) fruit. Gives a man a fish, and he is hungry again in an hour, teach him how to catch and do a good turn

I really don't want to be the DBI just another abandonware on the Switch scene.

Last edited by mathew77,
Reactions: Dust2dust

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
The statement 'dbi is not supported on 18.0.1' might just mean that duckbill haven't checked it against the new fw because he is not maintaining dbi anymore. I might be the case that everything works fine.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No. There is definetly not all works fine. Also some bugs not related to 18.
Here's hoping you might find the time an energy to check what's wrong and release a fix. I know you're officially not supporting it anymore, but we're getting so close to the Switch's end of life now, it would be bad to go without a fully working title installer right at the finish line. No pressure, though! If it comes, great! If not, thanks for DBI still.

Psd99

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Also, note that DBI not fully supports FW 18 and on some actions it can crash or does not work as designed.

Is that 100% confirmed?

that's a shame i love dbi and it is the only installer I actually use
Post automatically merged:

also if DBI doesn't work or has issues - what do y'all use instead tin woo?

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
@Psd99
All the installers other than DBI, and I tried them all are sucks for Switch. That's my humble opinion. Use the latest available DBI with FW 18.0.1, it installs all games well right now.

Last edited by mathew77,
Reactions: Blythe93

viper3344

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just install braid or some other 18 fw req. game and try to open game details. There are other issues also related to work with tickets and dumping.
DBI 616

I just launched Braid. Works fine. I hit plus and all the info is working. What exactly is not working?
I also went into DBI and browsed all the game info... all reports ok.. Not exactly sure what is wrong?
I tested all the FW 18 games. All install perfectly fine. All run perfectly fine. All info through DBI reports from what I can tell ok

Last edited by viper3344,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning