Hacking Any new Switch OLED hacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
A similar statement was made aboout the PS Vita and here we are with a totally free (of Sony's crap) handheld, with so many possibilities on it.

Considering how popular the Switch is, it might be just a matter of time for us to get a method for Switch modding.
The difference is, the vita was not really hacked and fully analysed at that point, while the inner workings of the switch are very well known.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The difference is, the vita was not really hacked and fully analysed at that point, while the inner workings of the switch are very well known.
The "magic words" on your comment are "at that point".

Once the inner workings of the PS Vita were know, modding it became easier and simpler, even with the OFW updates trying to fix the flaws.

As you state, the Switch's inner workings are well known, but not just yet to the extent of developing a software mod for it, time will tell. I trust on the scene devs and hardware modders out there, they make wonders.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A similar statement was made aboout the PS Vita and here we are with a totally free (of Sony's crap) handheld, with so many possibilities on it.

Considering how popular the Switch is, it might be just a matter of time for us to get a method for Switch modding.
Keep CMDreaming I guess

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The "magic words" on your comment are "at that point".

Once the inner workings of the PS Vita were know, modding it became easier and simpler, even with the OFW updates trying to fix the flaws.

As you state, the Switch's inner workings are well known, but not just yet to the extent of developing a software mod for it, time will tell. I trust on the scene devs and hardware modders out there, they make wonders.
We have full open source reimplenentations of the core parts needed to be powned for cfw, the kernel and the trust zone.
Because of the micro kernel architecture, those parts of the os are also pretty small, so you can't compare it to something like Linux or windows, and its actually possible for a single person to have a full overview of the code.
So it's easier then on every other current platform to look at the code and find possible vulnerabilities, but still, no one found anything.
This means either, the people with many years experience are not skilled enough, or more likely, the os is just actually a very secure os, without any usable vulnerabilities.
And even if someone finds a software only exploit by some miracle, they would very likely either keep it to themselfs/a small group for the next gens of nintendo consoles, or just sell it to Nintendo.

ucupetuks

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I just have to give another option: Steamdeck.

I have 2 Pokémon, New Kirby game, animal crossing and Mario O. They all Works pretty near perfect. Some slowdowns here and there. But otherwise, like perfect. The Steamdeck is a very good option!
maybe you worries about oled chip solder issue!!, give it to good technican than to permanen solder with reball the emmc,
switch oled has better ergonomic & longer battery life than steam deck, both have difference experience, depend on you, switch is light and more enjoy playing non extensive games, like platformer and rpg, steam deck offer many things and utility, is really hard choice, and yes switch oled cfw & steam deck has similiar price :wink:
waiting more compact form factor pc handheld without lot of noise fan and hot body, is gonna couple years away, maybe 2years ahead, sadly

switch oled : good display, nice sound, light, many really good games, smaller game size, can install linux, table top mode with nice adjustable, and quite good rumble (some game like tetris connected, huntdown, ghost song, thumper, etc) has better experience on

steam deck : mediocore display similiar with v1/v2 switch, quite fan noise and quite heavy, proper more extensive games, sound amazing but trible a bit to much, offer full pc capabilities. price/performance cheaper than switch oled cfw, nice build quality, more customize than switch

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

we already do, it's called getting an unpatched switch. Everyone who's really serious about hacking their switch just gets a v0 and uses it.

Now that I think of it, i wonder why console manufacturers don't just make the first 200000 or so of their consoles hackable, so all of the people who desperately need to port doom to the console can do so, and then everybody else has patched consoles?

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Now that I think of it, i wonder why console manufacturers don't just make the first 200000 or so of their consoles hackable, so all of the people who desperately need to port doom to the console can do so, and then everybody else has patched consoles?
Piracy. Or some other random bullshit statement that nintendo would say.

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
we already do, it's called getting an unpatched switch. Everyone who's really serious about hacking their switch just gets a v0 and uses it.

Would be nice to see all device manufacturers in general be more open to allowing people to make their own software for their own devices, but realistically it is rarely in their best interests (In terms of financial gain) to do so.

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be nice to see all device manufacturers in general be more open to allowing people to make their own software for their own devices, but realistically it is rarely in their best interests (In terms of financial gain) to do so.
what i'm saying is that they let the homebrew devs have their unlocked console, and then everyone who would just use a hacked console for piracy has to use a normal one.

User154

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
what i'm saying is that they let the homebrew devs have their unlocked console, and then everyone who would just use a hacked console for piracy has to use a normal one.

I see what you're saying, but yeah its generally better for business to force people to use proprietary software, regardless of what the end user's intentions are.

Zajumino

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After some testing, I discovered a hack for the switch OLED.

At first it did not work very well, due to the small surface area of the contact points. I figured out it worked better when I removed the joycons. I think now it does a pretty good job of holding down my papers, although its shape makes it difficult to handle sometimes.

• Haha
Reactions: l7777

l7777

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Microsoft already does this. There is a "Development Mode" that has existed since the Xbox One that allows unsigned code. It will not run retail software in that mode and it looks like you actually have to release something on the MS Store if you want to keep your developer account active.

I dare say that most hacked consoles are used to play "backups" which isn't desirable to Nintendo and publishers. They could indeed isolate homebrew from the rest of the system as Microsoft has done but I doubt it would be a heavily utilized feature. In Nintendo's case specifically homebrew would likely lead to a direct competitor to NSO's Retro library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, made a new one