Homebrew AnotherWorldDS

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
AlanJohn said:
Why can't you include the needed files into the .zip?

As was said, they are copyrighted files. I saw that mentioned somewhere in the news post, but I'm too lazy to look at it again. Regardless, it would be distribution of copyrighted materials.

Edit: Found it -

QUOTEThe English DOS version game files are required for this engine; these files are copyrighted and can not be distributed with this release.

Was just right in the front page news post.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
LuigiBlood said:
Found out that... at the end, when Buddy comes before you fall from a big laser shot, you can go faster than him (run & jump all the time), but i don't remember that in any of versions of the game.

you could always do that. i've always tried it, on every port, trying to get past him before the floor falls out. it isn't possible like trying to jump over the flag pole in super mario bros.

wasim said:
it would be nice if there was an in game save !

* R : Save game state
* L : Load game state

dickfour said:
I'm glad to see this but I hope development continues because the sound is so very bad that I wouldn't call this playable yet.

the game is 100% playable and 100% winnable. it plays at full speed. the only issue i had was the second gun recharge station (and a few minor bugs). the lack of sound does not mean the game is not playable.

QUOTE(AlanJohn @ Jul 16 2011, 12:48 PM) Why can't you include the needed files into the .zip?

eric chahi owns the rights to the game, to this day. when the psp, gba (both the foxysoft and the gil megidish ports) [etc...] versions were released eric had the source code and files removed. he was trying to license another world for the gba and then for the ds. foxy was allowed to release his file after a gba prototype from another developer was turned down for publication. based on interviews it seems that at this point eric figured out he missed the gba boat. the thing was that most of the ported version were rewritten engines based on another version and included the graphics and sound (data files) in the release, so it was easy to say they voilated copyright. the difference here is that New RAW is just an interpreter and you need to provide the copyrighted content on your own.

the 15 yr anv. version includes all of the original data for the "retro" mode (foxy actually helped with the coding of the 15yr anv edition). which makes all of that stuff copyrighted even if it was originally released way back in the AMIGA and DOS days.

QUOTE(VatoLoco @ Jul 16 2011, 06:15 AM)
@AW, my AnotherWorld copy does the OOTW title too

poking around a bit... i don't think another world had an english language release at all, although for some reason i remember one that was multi-language. the "another world" files we grabbed are incorrectly named "out of this world" english releases. this would explain why we see the out of this world title screen and the exit text.

-another world

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
kiafazool said:
what kind of crack do we need to run this?
i dont understand

many old DOS games used various (and rather simple) methods of copyright protection. this game, when released by interplay, included a code wheel copy protection method. the code wheel shipped with the game. there have been different types of code wheels for different games. most work by placing a paper wheel under a thicker bit of paper with holes (or windows) cut out in it. the game will ask you what shape, color, number, item, symbol, etc, is at position A1 (for example), and the player would enter the answer to start the game. Back then we didn't have scanners and digital cameras, we had photo copiers =P. so it was actually a bit annoying to try to pirate these games unless your buddy down the street had the code wheel you wanted. i can actually remember a group of people on my block who sold code wheels for various games.

if the data files you own are not "cracked" then you will need to enter the code each and every time you load the game using Another World DS. however, there are cracked versions floating around which will simply skip the code wheel part and go straight to the title screen.

-another world

JonthanD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
kiafazool said:
what kind of crack do we need to run this?
i dont understand

many old DOS games used various (and rather simple) methods of copyright protection. this game, when released by interplay, included a code wheel copy protection method. the code wheel shipped with the game. there have been different types of code wheels for different games. most work by placing a paper wheel under a thicker bit of paper with holes (or windows) cut out in it. the game will ask you what shape, color, number, item, symbol, etc, is at position A1 (for example), and the player would enter the answer to start the game. Back then we didn't have scanners and digital cameras, we had photo copiers =P. so it was actually a bit annoying to try to pirate these games unless your buddy down the street had the code wheel you wanted. i can actually remember a group of people on my block who sold code wheels for various games.

if the data files you own are not "cracked" then you will need to enter the code each and every time you load the game using Another World DS. however, there are cracked versions floating around which will simply skip the code wheel part and go straight to the title screen.

-another world

Can I complain to you about the worms at the beginning of the game that sting you? The first time I played this game was on the SNES and I remember thinking "Oh my god one hit and you die? and these worms look so innocent....." Still a great game but that initial shock was a lot for me to deal with lol

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
JonthanD said:
Can I complain to you about the worms at the beginning of the game that sting you? The first time I played this game was on the SNES and I remember thinking "Oh my god one hit and you die? and these worms look so innocent....." Still a great game but that initial shock was a lot for me to deal with lol

part of the charm of this game is finding all the cool death animations that eric took the time to put into the game. those worms aren't so bad if you take your time to kick them before you move on. the snes version is a little bit easier because not all of the worms drop down, unlike the dos version we are playing with Another World DS. you can also just jump over the worms if they happen to fall in the right spots, but i only recommend trying that during a speed run.

one of the best death scenes is the one few know about (although i have fun impaling lester on the rock spikes). after you escape from the cage, just hang out on the screen for a few minutes and wait to see what happens!

here are some good reads:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Another_World_(video_game)
http://www.anotherworld.fr/anotherworld_uk/another_world.htm

-another world

alekmaul

OP
Trophies
Website
www.portabledev.com
XP
Country
France
dickfour said:
I'm glad to see this but I hope development continues because the sound is so very bad that I wouldn't call this playable yet.
A little "rude" I think ....
The sound is OK (take a look at amiga version for example), only mixing with music seems to have problem at the beginning of the game.
What linker arez you using. Perhaps the problem is with your linker ?

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
smile.gif
Time to try this out
biggrin.gif

Buleste

Old Fart
Trophies
Website
www.redbubble.com
XP
Country
alekmaul said:
dickfour said:
The sound is OK (take a look at amiga version for example), only mixing with music seems to have problem at the beginning of the game.
The Amiga version had superb sound (better than the PC at the time) however at the moment there is a lot of crackling all through the game. I wouldn't say it's unplayable with the sound as it is but it's certainly annoying.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buleste said:
alekmaul said:
dickfour said:
The Amiga version had superb sound (better than the PC at the time) however at the moment there is a lot of crackling all through the game. I wouldn't say it's unplayable with the sound as it is but it's certainly annoying.

Not sure what the Amiga version has to do with a DOS emulation on the DS. On the DS, the sound is crackling badly, that's what is meant. Crackling is less during the actual game as compared to the intro sequence, but it's still crackling, and it's inconsistent. Sometimes it crackles worse than other times on the very same sequences.
I'm using a CycloDS, BTW.

BigLord

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you very much for creating this, alekmaul. This game just won't stop being fun to play, even after all these years.

I'm using a TTDS with Rayder's hinted self-extracting compressed file. Works like a charm, if you haven't noticed yet.

I have no complaints about the sound. It actually sounds like I remember it sounded... but that's probably because my memory is all fuzzy from the last time I played the game on a PC (I played it on a GBA emulator some years ago, too).
biggrin.gif

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
These poison worms at the beginning of the game are driving me nuts. Can't get past them and if I wait to beat them with my foot, the grizzly bear or something kills me.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
WiiBricker said:
These poison worms at the beginning of the game are driving me nuts. Can't get past them and if I wait to beat them with my foot, the grizzly bear or something kills me.

you need to kill them on the stage they appear on. do not run to the part where the black beast appears. crouch down and kick them, but you have to make sure the front of your foot contacts them. if you kick past them your leg will not be able to destroy them (something which was addressed in later ports -- but not all ports). the best thing to do is to run close to the right of the stage so they start to fall and then kill them from behind. if you start kicking as soon as you enter the stage some of them may drop right on your head. once they are all dead they will be gone for good (no cheap respawning here). so you will be free to run from the black beast.

-another world

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
~Wiiloader~ said:
I did evrything and when i go to start it shows me symbols, and i just click OK and than it read ERROR on the top screen.... what now?
frown.gif
thank you
Read the thread?
http://gbatemp.net/t301576-anotherworldds?...t&p=3777969
-edit-
Also, it would be preferred if you understood it and then look through the files included in the port.

lincruste

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
WiiBricker said:
smile.gif

I would certainly have written the same post in 1991. Too bad there was no internets back then, it would have saved me a lot of knee scratches. Good luck, this great game will make you suffer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make it a happy meal toy
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    that game's engine is really fucking intensive so it runs like literal shit on xbox 360 and ps3
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah I'm getting value creep again. I look at a $50 console "but for just a few more dollars you could get XYZ" and I end up considering the Steam Deck.
    +2
    like the lighting in that game was genuinely so good
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not getting dragged into that again.
    i dont get why they didn't port the one game that ran the worst on consoles, to pc
    like you port everything to pc except the one game where it would make the most sense. why. what do you gain from this
    is sega just personally fucking with me? are they laughing while watching me through my kinect camera as i get up to restart my xbox for the third time because the game froze again
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Buy handhelds from five below better quality
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Valve probably going to do another refresh of the deck this fall with rog ally like specs tbh
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    A smaller form factor would be nice too.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A shield portable 2 would be nice aye Nvidia
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The big leap in all things tech is when carbon based chips start hitting.
    Longer battery life cooler temps and faster! What's not to like lol (probably expensive as hell)
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    [checks my dildo(s) batteries, coolant and lube] :O [promptly replaces them] :D
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Lol not even for sale yet to public, and already sold out. I'd like to get one but ill wait for the hype to calm down.
    +1
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    I'm pretty sure I wasn't on GBAtemp at all yesterday, whenever I tried to go onto the website I got an unexpected database error
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We all teamed together and decided you needed a day off, so we blocked you.
    +1
    No one expects the database errors!!!
    +1
    Hey a thought occurred to me... If they are unexpected database errors, are there expected database errors?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, that's just a pre-order term to make the product look better it's not sold out
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa, that's just a pre-order term to make the product look better it's not sold out