Anonymous Joins The Fight Against Instagram

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by dj4uk6cjm, Dec 18, 2012.

Dec 18, 2012
  1. dj4uk6cjm
    OP

Member dj4uk6cjm GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Source: http://mashable.com/2012/12/18/boycott-instagram-anonymous-change-org/

Staff edit- a bit of content is nice.
    The now Facebook owned service Instagram, which largely revolves around users editing and sharing photos and images taken on various mobile devices, seems to be one of the latest targets of Anonymous. In recent days the site has taken harsh criticism, and seemingly a user exodus, for a change in their terms and conditions that could potentially see some photographs licensed outside the user's consent (or indeed thanks to the new T&C effectively with it). The dust has yet to settle but Facebook are claiming that might be an extreme reading of the conditions (no less valid though).
    Anonymous has picked fights with various groups/companies in the past for somewhat spurious reasons so some are wondering if this is quite as "valid" a target as some of the others.

---
    Lol let's see where this goes, will they achieve their goal?

2. Gahars

Member Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

United States
    Pfft, posers. I was part of the movement before it went mainstream; I've been unintentionally boycotting Instagram since it began!

Veho, frogboy and dj4uk6cjm like this.
  3. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I still don't understand why anyone thinks "anonymous" is anything more than a small group of script kiddies.
    Occasionally there is someone that can take down a website, but 98% of this "l33t hacker group" are fourteen years old / calling pizza deliveries to unsuspecting people.

omgpwn666 and megazig like this.
  4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I boycott Instagram by just using fucking Photoshop.

Sagat, Traversal, dickfour and 3 others like this.
  5. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    The true Anonymous are actually not script kiddies - they're everyday hackers with their own agenda and no banner to carry and they use said script kiddies as proxies - the kids think it's cool, the hackers have their backs covered, all is well, really.

Thing is, those "calls to arms" are rarely made by actual hackers - hackers simply do what they want to do, they don't need to wave flags before doing so. The less people know about their attack the better - you have to be a real dumbass to knock on someone's door and say "Hiya, I'm gonna burglarize your house next week, kthxbai!", and the same applies to hacking.

2ndApex and pokefloote like this.
  6. sanoblue

Member sanoblue The Fuzzy Blue Woof!

United States
    Instagram is Twitter for the illiterate..... and Twitter is just as dumb, I have been boycotting both since their creation.

paulfalcon likes this.
  7. dj4uk6cjm
    OP

Member dj4uk6cjm GBAtemp Fan

United States
  8. dickfour

Banned dickfour Banned

United States
    Anyone notice the large numbers of kiddies that Anonymous use as canon fodder are now being bummed in jail? Oh but they shouldn't have any worries because Anonymous will never forget their valiant sacrifices

9. Wintrale

Member Wintrale GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I've never even touched the service. Always thought it completely pointless. Although, what's the point in this? I mean, Instagram put it in their revised terms of service - if you don't like it, simply don't use Instagram any more. You can't really have a go at them for something Facebook probably told them to do.

10. Dork

Member Dork GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States

11. pokefloote

Member pokefloote GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Or just learn how to use a camera properly. People took good photos before without bronze tinted filters, you know.

12. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    The weird part is that they already fixed the verbage to make it clear that anyone who uses your picture has to respect your wishes.
    I looked into it today, when I was telling my friend to delete his Instagram.

Also, as for the "Photoshop" people, while I do agree with you, Instagram is more of a social network than an actual photo editor. I see it dying soon though, as the Flickr and Tumblr apps get better.

13. ferofax

Member ferofax End of the World

Philippines
    It's funny how everyone around here says they hate it. It's funny because I think of how little the population is here compared to the millions out there who just enjoy something like Instagram.

Granted, that sell-out on perpetual rights reeks of pure greed and should definitely be boycotted. The problem is, there's very few alternatives out there that offer the convenience of snapping a picture, applying a quick good filter (crucial factor -- most alternatives have ridiculously bad filters), and uploading it to people who might actually like it.

Somebody needs to step up and offer good filters. Everything else can come along incrementally.

14. Magsor

Member Magsor I am watching you

Canada
    It is funny how people can make USN threads about shit with no reliable source but a stupid blog post.
    Anonymous did not join any fight only some loser on twitter did there are better battles than this one.

15. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    I wasted precious seconds reading this.

triassic911 likes this.
  16. p1ngpong

Supervisor p1ngpong Legit Boss Harold

Croatia
    Oh no, what will I use to filter pictures of me standing in front of a bathroom mirror now? D:

17. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

1.turn on the hot water
    2.make mirror steamy
    3.profit

18. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    I just don't see the point of uploading a photo with a sepia filter or the contrast adjusted. If I need to make serious edits to my photo, I'll just use Photoshop.

19. TehSkull

Member TehSkull Living the life

United States
    Not like I do either.

Take picture, plug phone into PC, figure out how to sepia in Photoshop, upload.
    Take picture presepia'd, upload.

20. zachtheninja

Member zachtheninja Honorary Ninja

United States
    Very true. If you have time to write a "call to arms", most likely you're not very busy with a "hack".