ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf ROM Hacking

Dgrin

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Wait, so you just want the mayor to be a male character and not change anything else but the name?

yeah, exactly, change the gender, eye design and name of my Mayor but nothing else..thank you! I'll have a look there but still keep my eye on this thread as It's amazing to see what MODs you guys will come up with!^__^

[Edit]: it worked, thank you!^o^v

Last edited by Dgrin,
Reactions: deishido

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can the rom hacks be used online?

short version: No. Or at least, if they could, they wouldn't work right and could cause desyncs.

Long version: maybe? Most of us use HANS to compile our changes and run them and HANS doesn't work online. (At least, it couldn't when I was more active on this research) Since building a complete rom and reinstalling it over and over would be terribly inconvenient when we are trying to test small changes quickly. But if you were to compile a full rom that can go online, there's an issue of compatibility.

I haven't tested this myself on new leaf, but I ve done similar with an action replay and local multiplayer on wild world, I suspect the results would be similar. Most of what we understand and can do right now is stored in the romfs, and so any changes made would only be visible, for the most part, on the system running the hack. For instance, we replace model horse01 with isabelle. We would see isabelle on our system, anyone visiting would still see Victoria (horse01 according to their romfs) if they also had the same hack as us, they would also see isabelle instead. This example expands to just about everything we can do right now. In the event that we change something with a different size, for instance changing the town square into a smaller building like redds tent, we can walk beside the tent, where the building would normally be. On a visiting players system, we would be unable to be there, and it could cause a desync. Furthermore, from our point of view, they would be unable to step into that space because their system still sees the original building and its walls.

I hope that answers your question.

(When we get more info about code.bin stuff, ie: changing how the game behaves on a game engine level, this information could change)

Reactions: DesuIsSparta

bokkobo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(asked this in the wrong thread before) i was wondering if anyone could help me out with something

im wanting to swap models in the game, like taking furniture that already exists (tall lantern, patched couch, etc) and being able to put it outside by replacing it with a pwp (or maybe even making it separate pwp if possible?). specifically, right now im trying to take the wheat field furniture and swap it with yellow lilies so i can have a field in my town. ive tried renaming the file like you would with villagers but it doesnt work, it still stays the same name. would just making a new outside item work (though i dont know how i'd get it to spawn)? i was wondering if anyone had any luck or tried this? thank you

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(asked this in the wrong thread before) i was wondering if anyone could help me out with something

im wanting to swap models in the game, like taking furniture that already exists (tall lantern, patched couch, etc) and being able to put it outside by replacing it with a pwp (or maybe even making it separate pwp if possible?). specifically, right now im trying to take the wheat field furniture and swap it with yellow lilies so i can have a field in my town. ive tried renaming the file like you would with villagers but it doesnt work, it still stays the same name. would just making a new outside item work (though i dont know how i'd get it to spawn)? i was wondering if anyone had any luck or tried this? thank you

The way the game calls data would make adding something entirely new just about impossible, you would have to replace something.

Now, pwp are special. They are pitaide models, which means they have 21 (iirc) textures for the seasons (the game changes "seasons" every couple of weeks so update things like leaf colors, grass color, snow, etc )

If you replaced a pwp by just swapping it, the game may not load it properly. You wpuld probably have to edit the model itself and the textures to get a working pwp. Something like this would likely require the ctr sdk, and the knowledge to use it.

Now, you mentioned yellow lillies. Those are a very special outside object. All outside flowers and weeds are stored in one model. All the roses, lilies, daisies, etc. And they also have a bunch of textures for all the seasons. The flowers themselves are one giant texture model, almost like a sprite sheet, and the game reads the necessary data and maps it to the needed models. Im not entirely sure how these models work yet to be honest. (Editing the texture also wont work unless youre just changing colors. I tried to add a new type of flower and it ended up blurry compared to other flowers. Maybe im just bad at sprites??)

Reactions: bokkobo

bokkobo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hadnt looked at the pwp files yet, but the idea just crossed my mind while I was messing around. i did see that for the yellow lillies and all the outside plants are in one file, but the individual flower species and colors have separate models, and then the flower textures are all on one sheet. i figured maybe i could paste in the wheat field texture or make my own somehow to get it to fit, but the problem im having is importing the wheat field model over the lillies because as far as i know theres no way to save it in ohana or rebirth. i think editing the textures do work by the way, ive seen people (namely jingleflails on tumblr) took stumps and made them into lily pads. i think folks who were making custom villagers also had issues with blurriness.

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i hadnt looked at the pwp files yet, but the idea just crossed my mind while I was messing around. i did see that for the yellow lillies and all the outside plants are in one file, but the individual flower species and colors have separate models, and then the flower textures are all on one sheet. i figured maybe i could paste in the wheat field texture or make my own somehow to get it to fit, but the problem im having is importing the wheat field model over the lillies because as far as i know theres no way to save it in ohana or rebirth. i think editing the textures do work by the way, ive seen people (namely jingleflails on tumblr) took stumps and made them into lily pads. i think folks who were making custom villagers also had issues with blurriness.

Because the lily model depends on the flower texture, it may have some issues with mapping textures? This isn't my territory. I have the ctr sdk, but i'm not very skilled at modeling and programing. Im mostly art and translation. Someone with more skills may be able to figure it out.

If I have time over the next couple weeks, im going to do some tests replacing pwps and other outside objects. Where did you find the individual outside flower models? I found the inside ones already, are they included in the same file?

(Eventually, one of us will make a directory map, lol)

bokkobo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think the flower and other outside plant models are actually in the seasonal bcres (in fg folder)? also, once again jinglefruit on tumblr has a basic directory map with mostly everything listed if it helps.

I'd really like to see where people get with model swapping things other than villagers. im not very adept with hacking or programs or any of those things, but i'll keep messing around

mental_lentil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, I know that Isabelle can be swapped out with a normal villager without issue, but does the same hold true of the other NPCs or do certain ones cause problems, and if so, which ones?

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just curious, I know that Isabelle can be swapped out with a normal villager without issue, but does the same hold true of the other NPCs or do certain ones cause problems, and if so, which ones?
It was quite a few pages back, but I went through and personally inspected the special villager models. Heres the post with my findings:
I've gone through the special NPC files and built a handy file to help everyone figure out which files are whom. I have also included a few notes if anyone is interested as I've found a few interesting things I hadn't seen mentioned before.

Here's some quick info on my notes:
Unusual Eye textures ::
These are just a single eye. The game seems to mirror them instead of having a texture with both eyes. This seems to be the case for animals with a lot of space between the eyes. I do not believe these models can be swapped with regular villagers. Maybe some villagers have unusual eye textures too? More Testing is needed.

Unusual Mouth Textures ::
Like the eyes above, these are half textures rather than full mouths, sometimes rotated at odd angles to fit the animal's face shape better. Might not work for model swapping. Maybe some villager models have these kinds of textures too? again, more testing is needed here.

Unusual Cloth Texture Formats ::
For those who haven't seen the models yet, there is a texture called "cloth" On regular villagers, and Special NPCs like Isabelle and Lief when swapped in, these will display whatever clothes that villager decides to wear. Some models use this extra texture space for their own special needs like Jingle's Bag, KK's Guitar, Hats and otherthings. Sometimes even face parts! (I'm looking at you, Redd) These make using these particular models as villagers almost impossible without getting... wierd results. We may need to find a way to prevent villagers from changing their clothes to get these models to work properly.

No Mouth Textures ::
Quite a few characters don't have a mouth. (Usually in favor of a beak or thin snout) This might cause problems when swapping them in with villagers that do have mouths. We might have to get creative and include dummy mouth files. Testing needs done.

No Face Textures ::
This only applies to two specific models. Blanca and Jack. I'm sure we can include dummy files for blanca to get a face, but i'm unsure of weather or not she's hardcoded to use a certain texture or whatever.. Jack's "Faces" are included as multiple "Body" files. It might be difficult to get them working.

Isabelle ::
I have no clue why the game has THREE of the exact same model under THREE different codenames. My assumptions are sza, szb & szc are her walking around outside models for various situations. (although event outfits like toyday don't seem to come from here) I've replaced the sza model with someone else, but the Isabelle in the Welcome Screen and in the Mayor's office remained the same. So I conclude that these two isabelles are the other two models (liz and rcn) But I haven't yet tested which is which... (slow computer)

From the looks of things, it seems that only Lief and Isabelle can be swapped in safely without weird glitches. (Timmy and Tommy were my test to see if unusual eyes or a lack of mouths could go in, they failed one of those tests and the game wont boot that particular romFS file with hans) If different regular villagers use the unusual eye and mouth formats, we might have to build a chart of who can be swapped for who based on matching files. We may also have luck with sacrificing the model's original eyes/mouth for our own implemented textures.

alp.bcres = Cyrus
*Unusual Eye Textures, No Mouth Texture
alw.bcres = Reese
*Unusual Eye Textures, No Mouth Texture
bev.bcres = Chip
*Unusual Eye Textures, Cloth texture affects hat, No mouth Texture
bln.bcres = Phineas
*Unusual Eye Textures, Unusual Cloth texture format
boa.bcres = Joan
*Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Cloth Texture format
bpt.bcres = Katrina
*Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Cloth Texture, No mouth texture
chm.bcres = Nat (holds net)
*Unusual Cloth Texture, cloth texture affects Net, No mouth Texture
cml.bcres = Sahara
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects carpets
end.bcres = Totakeke (Guitar vers)
*Unusual cloth texture, cloth texture affects guitar
enj.bcres = Totakeke (Hat + Glasses vers)
*Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects glasses & Hat
fob.bcres = Red (Matsuri vers)
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture
fox.bcres = Red (Shop Keeper vers)
*unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects mouth & ears
grf.bcres = Grace
*No mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth texture affects scarf & Glasses
hgc.bcres = Labelle
*No mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format
hgh.bcres = Mable
*No mouth texture, No cloth texture
hgs.bcres = Sable
*No mouth texture, No cloth texture
kpg.bcres = Grams
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects ribbon & Flower
kpm.bcres = Leilani
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects ribbon & Flower
kpp.bcres = Kapp'n
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects glasses
kps.bcres = Leila
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects Flowers
liz.bcres = Isabelle (I don't know where this model is used?)
lom.bcres = Katie
*Unusual eye texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth texture affects backpack
lrc.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T&T Mart Uniform)
*Unusual Eye Texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects hat
lrd.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookington's Uniform)
*unusual Eye Texture, no mouth texture
lrh.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T.I.Y Uniforms ?)
*Unusial Eye texture, No mouth texture
lrn.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookling's Junction Uniforms)
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture
lrs.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nook N Go Uniforms?)
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture
mka.bcres = Blanca? (Jester Outfit?)
*No facial textures, unusual cloth texture format
mnk.bcres = Porter
*Unusual mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
mob.bcres = Don (Holds pick, no legs, hat)
*Unusual cloth texture format
moc.bcres = Don (Full model, Hat)
*unusual cloth texture format
mod.bcres = Don (No hat)
*Unusual cloth texture format
mof.bcres = Resetti (No Hat)
*Unusual Mouth Texture
mol.bcres = Resetti (Holds pick, no legs, hat)
*Unusual Mouth texture
moo.bcres = Resetti (full model, holds pick, hat)
*Unusual mouth texture
ott.bcres = Lyle (holds clipboard)
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects clipboard
owl.bcres = Blathers
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, no cloth texture
ows.bcres = Celeste
*Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects bow and feet
pck.bcres = Pave
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture, cloth affects tail feathers and necklace
pga.bcres = Pelly
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture format
pgb.bcres = Phyllis
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, Unusual cloth texture format
pge.bcres = Brewster
*No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth affects bowtie
pkn.bcres = Jack
*No face textures, Unusual cloth texture, Various body textures (Pumpkin heads)
pla.bcres = Booker
*Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
plb.bcres = Pete
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects bag
plc.bcres = Copper
*Unusual Eye texture, Unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
poo.bcres = Shampoodle
*Unusual mouth texture, Unusual cloth format
pyn.bcres = Zipper T.
*No mouth textures, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects zipper
rci.bcres = Tom Nook
*Unusual Eye textures, No mouth textures
rcn.bcres = Isabelle (I don't know where this model is used?)
rco.bcres = Tom Nook (Orange Sweater vers)
*No eye textures, No mouth textures
seg.bcres = Gulliver
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, No Cloth Texture
seo.bcres = Pascal (Include seperate model for scallop)
*Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects necklace
skk.bcres = Kicks
*No Mouth Textures, Unusual Cloth texture format, Cloth affects both shirt and pants
slo.bcres = Lief
snt.bcres = Jingle
*Unusual Cloth texture format, cloth affects bottom half of bag
sza.bcres = Isabelle (Same as previous two. I still don't know where each instance of her is used??)
szb.bcres = Isabelle (Orange Jacket, black skirt Vers)
szc.bcres = Isabelle (Orange Jacket, Orange Skirt vers)
szo.bcres = Digby
*Unusual Mouth Textures
szr.bcres = Digby (Rain Jacket Vers)
*Unusual Mouth Textures
tap.bcres = Luna
*Unusual Cloth Texture Format, cloth affects both top and bottom of clothes
ttl.bcres = Tortimer (holds Walking stick)
*Unusual eye texture, No Mouth texture, walking stick has own texture
tuk.bcres = Franklin
*Unusual Eye Textures, no mouth textures, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
upa.bcres = Shrunk
*Unusual Mouth Texture
wrl.bcres = Wendell (Holds Sketchbook)
*Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, Unusual Cloth texture Format (Idk where his pants are in the tex)
xct.bcres = Rover
*Unusual Eye textures, Unusual Mouth Textures, contains unused cloth textures

I also have a list with none of my notes and a version without the notes hidden within spoilers for the convenience of anyone who would like them.

alp.bcres = Cyrus *Unusual Eye Textures, No Mouth Texture
alw.bcres = Reese *Unusual Eye Textures, No Mouth Texture
bev.bcres = Chip *Unusual Eye Textures, Cloth texture affects hat, No mouth Texture
bln.bcres = Phineas *Unusual Eye Textures, Unusual Cloth texture format
boa.bcres = Joan *Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Cloth Texture format
bpt.bcres = Katrina *Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Cloth Texture, No mouth texture
chm.bcres = Nat (holds net) *Unusual Cloth Texture, cloth texture affects Net, No mouth Texture
cml.bcres = Sahara *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects carpets
end.bcres = Totakeke (Guitar vers) *Unusual cloth texture, cloth texture affects guitar
enj.bcres = Totakeke (Hat + Glasses vers) *Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects glasses & Hat
fob.bcres = Red (Matsuri vers) *Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture
fox.bcres = Red (Shop Keeper vers) *unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects mouth & ears
grf.bcres = Grace *No mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth texture affects scarf & Glasses
hgc.bcres = Labelle *No mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format
hgh.bcres = Mable *No mouth texture, No cloth texture
hgs.bcres = Sable *No mouth texture, No cloth texture
kpg.bcres = Grams *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects ribbon & Flower
kpm.bcres = Leilani *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects ribbon & Flower
kpp.bcres = Kapp'n *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects glasses
kps.bcres = Leila *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects Flowers
lom.bcres = Katie *Unusual eye texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth texture affects backpack
lrc.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T&T Mart Uniform) *Unusual Eye Texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects hat
lrd.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookington's Uniform) *unusual Eye Texture, no mouth texture
lrh.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T.I.Y Uniforms ?) *Unusial Eye texture, No mouth texture
lrn.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookling's Junction Uniforms) *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture
lrs.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nook N Go Uniforms?) *Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture
mka.bcres = Blanca? (Jester Outfit?) *No facial textures, unusual cloth texture format
mnk.bcres = Porter *Unusual mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
mob.bcres = Don (Holds pick, no legs, hat) *Unusual cloth texture format
moc.bcres = Don (Full model, Hat) *unusual cloth texture format
mod.bcres = Don (No hat) *Unusual cloth texture format
mof.bcres = Resetti (No Hat) *Unusual Mouth Texture
mol.bcres = Resetti (Holds pick, no legs, hat) *Unusual Mouth texture
moo.bcres = Resetti (full model, holds pick, hat) *Unusual mouth texture
ott.bcres = Lyle (holds clipboard) *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects clipboard
owl.bcres = Blathers *Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, no cloth texture
ows.bcres = Celeste *Unusual eye texture, no mouth texture, unusual cloth texture, cloth affects bow and feet
pck.bcres = Pave *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture, cloth affects tail feathers and necklace
pga.bcres = Pelly *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture format
pgb.bcres = Phyllis *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, Unusual cloth texture format
pge.bcres = Brewster *No mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth affects bowtie
pkn.bcres = Jack *No face textures, Unusual cloth texture, Various body textures (Pumpkin heads)
pla.bcres = Booker *Unusual eye texture, unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
plb.bcres = Pete *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth texture, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects bag
plc.bcres = Copper *Unusual Eye texture, Unusual mouth texture, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
poo.bcres = Shampoodle *Unusual mouth texture, Unusual cloth format
pyn.bcres = Zipper T. *No mouth textures, unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects zipper
rci.bcres = Tom Nook *Unusual Eye textures, No mouth textures
rco.bcres = Tom Nook (Orange Sweater vers) *No eye textures, No mouth textures
seg.bcres = Gulliver *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, No Cloth Texture
seo.bcres = Pascal (Include seperate model for scallop) *Unusual Eye Texture, Unusual Mouth texture, Unusual Cloth texture, cloth texture affects necklace
skk.bcres = Kicks *No Mouth Textures, Unusual Cloth texture format, Cloth affects both shirt and pants
slo.bcres = Lief
snt.bcres = Jingle *Unusual Cloth texture format, cloth affects bottom half of bag
sza.bcres = Isabelle (Same as previous two. I still don't know where each instance of her is used??)
szo.bcres = Digby *Unusual Mouth Textures
tap.bcres = Luna *Unusual Cloth Texture Format, cloth affects both top and bottom of clothes
ttl.bcres = Tortimer (holds Walking stick) *Unusual eye texture, No Mouth texture, walking stick has own texture
tuk.bcres = Franklin *Unusual Eye Textures, no mouth textures, Unusual cloth texture format, cloth affects hat
upa.bcres = Shrunk *Unusual Mouth Texture
wrl.bcres = Wendell (Holds Sketchbook) *Unusual Eye Texture, No mouth Texture, Unusual Cloth texture Format (Idk where his pants are in the tex)
xct.bcres = Rover *Unusual Eye textures, Unusual Mouth Textures, contains unused cloth textures
alp.bcres = Cyrus
alw.bcres = Reese
bev.bcres = Chip
bln.bcres = Phineas
boa.bcres = Joan
bpt.bcres = Katrina
chm.bcres = Nat (holds net)
cml.bcres = Sahara
end.bcres = Totakeke (Guitar vers)
enj.bcres = Totakeke (Hat + Glasses vers)
fob.bcres = Red (Matsuri vers)
fox.bcres = Red (Shop Keeper vers)
grf.bcres = Grace
hgc.bcres = Labelle
hgh.bcres = Mable
hgs.bcres = Sable
kpg.bcres = Grams
kpm.bcres = Leilani
kpp.bcres = Kapp'n
kps.bcres = Leila
lom.bcres = Katie
lrc.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T&T Mart Uniform)
lrd.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookington's Uniform)
lrh.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (T.I.Y Uniforms ?)
lrn.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nookling's Junction Uniforms)
lrs.bcres = Timmy/Tommy (Nook N Go Uniforms?)
mka.bcres = Blanca? (Jester Outfit?)
mnk.bcres = Porter
mob.bcres = Don (Holds pick, no legs, hat)
moc.bcres = Don (Full model, Hat)
mod.bcres = Don (No hat)
mof.bcres = Resetti (No Hat)
mol.bcres = Resetti (Holds pick, no legs, hat)
moo.bcres = Resetti (full model, holds pick, hat)
ott.bcres = Lyle (holds clipboard)
owl.bcres = Blathers
ows.bcres = Celeste
pck.bcres = Pave
pga.bcres = Pelly
pgb.bcres = Phyllis
pge.bcres = Brewster
pkn.bcres = Jack
pla.bcres = Booker
plb.bcres = Pete
plc.bcres = Copper
poo.bcres = Shampoodle
pyn.bcres = Zipper T.
rci.bcres = Tom Nook
rco.bcres = Tom Nook (Orange Sweater vers)
seg.bcres = Gulliver
seo.bcres = Pascal (Include seperate model for scallop)
skk.bcres = Kicks
slo.bcres = Lief
snt.bcres = Jingle
szo.bcres = Digby
tap.bcres = Luna
ttl.bcres = Tortimer (holds Walking stick)
tuk.bcres = Franklin
upa.bcres = Shrunk
wrl.bcres = Wendell (Holds Sketchbook)
xct.bcres = Rover

I havent done any extensive testing in a while because of work getting in the way, but I know that characters with unusual textures may look wierd as villagers. (K.K.Slider with his hat and guitar come to mind) I havent really tested the other irregularities as mich (mirrored eye textures, no mouth textures) the the biggest limiting factor seems to be files with an unusual format for their cloth.tex this appears to be because the cloth data is overwritten with changeable clothes patterns in game, so unique properties like hats and tools aren't preserved

Reactions: mental_lentil

mental_lentil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was quite a few pages back, but I went through and personally inspected the special villager models. Heres the post with my findings:

I havent done any extensive testing in a while because of work getting in the way, but I know that characters with unusual textures may look wierd as villagers. (K.K.Slider with his hat and guitar come to mind) I havent really tested the other irregularities as mich (mirrored eye textures, no mouth textures) the the biggest limiting factor seems to be files with an unusual format for their cloth.tex this appears to be because the cloth data is overwritten with changeable clothes patterns in game, so unique properties like hats and tools aren't preserved

Thanks very much for taking the time to test all this and document your findings, it helps a lot. :yay:

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
short version: No. Or at least, if they could, they wouldn't work right and could cause desyncs.
(When we get more info about code.bin stuff, ie: changing how the game behaves on a game engine level, this information could change)

That said, I believe if you romhack away the collision on acres and objects, then you can actually do so online as well. ACNL doesn't really have any multiplayer cheat protection, but the host of the server is the one who is able to edit things in the server (Player's inventories, etc.). If you're the host of the server, you're the cheat matser. If you're the client to the server, then you can't really do anything except client-side changes involving graphics and the like.

That's due to the RAM being restricted to the host and packets being sent in and out from the server to ensure that the host has priority over any decision.
Like you said, if we're able to edit the code.bin, that could change if the game gets confused with what it's allowed to do. Unfortunately I doubt this will happen for quite a long time, since there seems to be very little interest in the reverse engineering of code.bin. Compiled code is a pain to go through, I can't even skim over it with IDA Pro because it's just a mess.

Noroxus

Margen67 Supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Normal light effects :
1454619367-nonpatched.png

Patched light effects:
1454619366-patched.png

Patched light effects, night:
1454623732-wvw69i27hj8zo96z3d.jpg
(same hour and date, obviously)

Looks cool, doesn't it ?
I'm sure we can do better things...

What I edited is the bltpa/bltpf/bltph files (romfs:\\Light\)
The files are really similar and have the same structure so it's easy to edit them

structure :

0000 000Z 0000 0000 XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX
0000 YYYY 0000 0000

X = Random, data (??)
YYYY = Either 803F or 0000
Z = Either 0 or 1
the rest is always the same (that means 0000 will always be 0000)

0000 XXZZ XXXX XXYY XXXX XXYY XXXX XXYY
0000 803F XXXX XXYY XXXX XXYY XXXX XXYY
0000 803F XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX
0000 803F XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX

X = Random, data (??)
Z = Either 00 or 01
YY = Either 3D, 3E or 3F
the rest is always the same

0000 000Z XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX
0000 803F XXXX XXYY XXXX XXYY XXXX XXYY
0000 803F 0000 003F 0000 0000 0000 803F
0000 XXXX 0000 0000

Z = Either 0 or 1
X = Random, data (??)
YY = Either 3D, 3E or 3F
the rest is always the same
Do you remember what exactly you changed for the patched light effects? The color looks really nice :P

MasterLel

Cooonfusion of da highest orda
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France
Do you remember what exactly you changed for the patched light effects? The color looks really nice :P

Yes, edit the files in romfs:\\Light\

In my case, IIRC I've edited Train.bltpa , Train.bltpf and Train.bltph, don't remember what exactly, follow what I said in the structure spoilers. :)

Reactions: Ewin and Noroxus

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to somehow remove a player and their house without removing their patterns on the ground?

Not really, not via rom editing at least. The only thing you can do is move their house to an unseeable coordinate via save editing. And chamge their name to something like "patterns01" 0,0 should work as the coordinate unless you've got something else there already, I dont know too much about that.

Since this is a save editing question, you could try asking in one of the save editing threads. There are probably more people active in those threads that can help your specific question. (I would link, but im on mobile, sorry)

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know how to make textures invisible by any chance (specifically villager / player textures)

I've actually asked this before, and the way Jinglefruit explained it to me was like this (I'll be vastly paraphrasing):

Most Textures are saved in an image format that contains data for however many colors but there's not an alpha layer in the data. (Or if there is, the game isnt programmed to use it in these cases) Unfortunately, by changing how the game looks at textures (editing the code.bin) we can get the game to recognize transparency for those textures, however it could break every other of that kind of texture in the game and would require extensive research and testing to make sure every single texture is correct and works.

Now I say this knowing full well that there is at least one notable example of a texture with some kind of transparency, and thats the flower spritesheet. Unfortunately, it seems to be a unique case and I dont know enough (any) of how the code works to port that over to other textures. So I can't in good faith say that it helps us in any way. If anyone knows more and can weigh in, that would be cool.

Aeth-r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to modify the villager's conversational text? I'd like to restore more of the sass and personality featured in the original game. The characters nowadays are bland and pretty much all the same.

Reactions: xfxmrl

MasterLel

Cooonfusion of da highest orda
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
France

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat