Tutorial  Updated

AndroidPass, an alternative for the StreetPass Riilay

Hello,

Its been a while since i wrote i was doing an app for me to use the streetpass on my 3ds.
I used the Riilay app, and didn't worked for me, and seems the dev has halted the development of his app.

I present you a new app, with basic gui, but works for me.

Working methods (tested by me):
/data/.nvmac.info
/efs/wifi/.mac.info
/data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf

Working methods (tested by users):
/data/misc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini
/persist/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_factory_nv.bin

To be tested methods:
/data/misc/wifi/config
/system/etc/wifi/nvram.txt
/data/etc/wlan_macaddr0
/factory/wifi/.mac.info
/data/etc/wlan_macaddr

(BusyBox methods dont work or are kernel dependant)
BusyBox: ifconfig
BusyBox: ip link
BusyBox: Old tether softAP method (added, but not sure if it would work, maybe i will remove it later if no one uses it or not working)

Want to add more methods?
Send me a pm with a sample file for the file to be edited, and ill work to implement it asap.
Don't be afraid to send any "original macs" or try to edit out the macs with A,B,C,D,E or F.

I would want to add more methods and a BusyBox method, but i dont have more Androids with me and my pc is old and cant run the emulator.

The app needs root, and is stright forward.

The app works with the SD card mainly:
/"sd"/macs/...
macs.txt : a list of macs to be readed. (Yes, is needed to run the program and can be customized)
config.properties : The config from the app, i hate when phone data is used to store config.
On this file you can edit the "original_mac" and when the app is closing it will restore the mac you provided, useful with a whitelisted network. Ex: 00:11:22:33:44:55
on the /"sd"/
AndroidPass-Log.txt : Do not exists always, but it contains crash log(s) for the app.

The program features an auto updater.
And no need to wait X minutes to change MACs, just dont wait to timeout and when the 3DS disconnects (or no more clients are connected), it will change the mac right away.

If your AndroidPass has stopped working for some reason, post the crash log file.

Im thinking to release the source somewhere on the net, and then anyone who wants to implement some features could, in theory, work with me and make it more "compatible". If there is some devs that want to be involved in this, contact me and if i get some, ill publishit somewhere.

Donations are much apreciated.

Download link: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/hvrqikrqp3cs4ck/StreetPass.apk

If for some reason the link above is not the current version, use the workspace version https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0sy8e7i1s5u1mh/StreetPass.apk (this file is used for testing, keep in mind that this version is the work in progress one, and may contain not working things or major crashes)

Later on i will feature a stable or debug release, the current link will be the debug release.

-Ismaw34

WARNING
* Some kernels need special "magic" features (specially the 4.3+) that i dont know how to work with.
* If you need to patch any "binary" file, i can edit the mac too, refer to the methods /data/misc/wifi/WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini and /persist/WCNSS_qcom_wlan_factory_nv.bin
* If you are using the /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf method, and you change the HotSpot name on your phone but it doen't change, is a usual bug, that is that on the current state i cant read root files inside the java code and i need to manage them via shell. Just delete the /data/misc/wifi/hostapd.conf.bak file, edit your config and then it would be ready to go.

Last edited by Ismaw34,

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, here my story
I download your app in the middle of summer, not sure what version it was. At the time my I9190 was running android 4.2.2 and androidpass works perfect. I did not do this "reboot your phone with wifi off to make it work" thing, cause app working anytime for me no matter what! Later, samsung released 4.4.2 update for my phone and ive decide to grab it. Your app still working fine, but since i have root the update went wrong and my other apps began crashing and overall stability of my phone starts dissapoint me. So i reflash it cleanly and here goes.

1. The app seems to work, but in a strange way. I can have streetpasses, but only on one mac! The app change the mac, 3ds just connects and disconnects immideatly with no streetpass. It does work again after some time (resetting the phone, deletting .mac.info not helping with that), but again, after one mac spoofed, second one and others dont do the thing. And it doesnt matter wich mac i choose to start with: first one always works, the others not!

2. App is crashing if i try to qiut after pressing 'stop' button. However, its closing without error if stop button not activated.

Sorry, my english is not very good, but at least ive tried:) Hope you help, cause your app was perfect for me. Thanks.

Hello, i checked the log file, yes... you are using the workspace version as is not intended for the final users. That version is only used for testing and for clients that are helping with new features like the restore MAC on exit feature that is on the works by now. I can read the crash of the unfinished restore the original mac.
If you flashed clean, the phone can contain the remains of a old file system. Also, the newer kernels can be stuck on one mac or not changing the mac at all. And restarting the phone makes the trick.
Also, on the S3 phone, it changes the mac, but the wifi manager ignores the changes.
I cant edit the kernel. And all the app seems working fine, but not on all the phones right now.

Your problem may o may not be the android version changing or the android kernel changing.

I would like to help, but i dont have this model and i cant full debug it.
Sorry.

More information would be much appreciated.

-Ismaw34

PS: Your english was fine, try your best and never say "sorry for my english". Im not an english speaker/writer and i do my best to be as well readable as i can.

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Ismaw34,

Thanks for your app, it's working well on my I9305 with Android 4.3.
Just a note though : it would be great if your app could restore the original MAC address on closing, so we don't have to put it back manually.
It's important for those who have MAC address filtering on their home/work wifi.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I just figured out that I could just add my address in the macs.txt and do it faster than editing the MAC directly. It's not automatic but it's easy enough.

Hello again,

I added the restore on close thing, and it would be great if you could test it before i release it to the public.
The "workspace version" has it, only thing is put the original mac on the properties file with the ":"s.

Can you give it a try?
Thanks.

-Ismaw34

andron66

Trophies
XP
Country
Bolivia
Hello, i checked the log file, yes... you are using the workspace version as is not intended for the final users. That version is only used for testing and for clients that are helping with new features like the restore MAC on exit feature that is on the works by now. I can read the crash of the unfinished restore the original mac.
If you flashed clean, the phone can contain the remains of a old file system. Also, the newer kernels can be stuck on one mac or not changing the mac at all. And restarting the phone makes the trick.
Also, on the S3 phone, it changes the mac, but the wifi manager ignores the changes.
I cant edit the kernel. And all the app seems working fine, but not on all the phones right now.

Your problem may o may not be the android version changing or the android kernel changing.

I would like to help, but i dont have this model and i cant full debug it.
Sorry.

More information would be much appreciated.

-Ismaw34

PS: Your english was fine, try your best and never say "sorry for my english". Im not an english speaker/writer and i do my best to be as well readable as i can.
Here some good news: latest build not crashing anymore.
But bad news is the main problem still remain. I forgot to mention, that ive trying different versions of cyanogen mod(4.2, 4.3, 4.4) with different kernels and troubles are same. Maybe if i try it on old official samsung firmware it will work, but because damn knox loader i cant downgrade it. However, i discover a backup of old build of your app, that sure worked for me before. I will restore it and test it later today.

You were right. The problem laying not in app, but in my phone itself. Seems like something prevent changing macs too fast. Again, reboot not helpful at all, only if i wait some time(not sure how long) it changes. If only i know, how elese i can be usefull for resolving a problem...

UPD: Now, i absolutely sure, that problem laying in my phone. App changin macs, that for sure. Problem is wifi thetering simply not sharing internet after mac is changed second time. That because, i think, modem firmware, wich corresponds for wifi, bluetooth and etc. and its only part, that never changes when i flashing cyanogen mod. And again, i cant downgrade it cause knox(to hell with it!). Concluded.

Uddasa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi again,

I've upgraded my i9305 to Android 4.4.4, and as you can guess, AndroidPass is not working anymore.
I still have the /efs/wifi/.mac.info changed by AndroidPass successfully.
If I delete this file and reboot it's created automatically so I think this is the right method.

But tethering always use my original MAC address.

Is there a knows limitation on Android 4.4.4? Anyone succeeded to tether with another MAC?

Thanks.

Edit: using v2.46, and I forgot to tell but original MAC restoring works on app exit.

Alpha17x

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It doesn't work. Or rather, I haven't been able to get it to work. Phone is rooted (GS4) app loads with no issue. starts cycling through macs. Are you requiring the tethered network be called 'attwifi' or 'NZ@McD1' or 'Wi-Fi' ?
The app itself seems straightforward but there is no relevant information on pre-reqs. What are the pre-launch requirements for your app to work correctly? Please list them in the initial post. 'Your device must be broadcasting under SSID X with password X" For example.

Under 'Clients Connected' is that a reference to a local 3ds being connected to the wifi network the phone is broadcasting? Or is that how many clients/passes might be obtained from that particular mac address?

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
It doesn't work. Or rather, I haven't been able to get it to work. Phone is rooted (GS4) app loads with no issue. starts cycling through macs. Are you requiring the tethered network be called 'attwifi' or 'NZ@McD1' or 'Wi-Fi' ?
The app itself seems straightforward but there is no relevant information on pre-reqs. What are the pre-launch requirements for your app to work correctly? Please list them in the initial post. 'Your device must be broadcasting under SSID X with password X" For example.

Under 'Clients Connected' is that a reference to a local 3ds being connected to the wifi network the phone is broadcasting? Or is that how many clients/passes might be obtained from that particular mac address?

The hotspot needs to be called attwifi, no pass and the clients connected is how many clients are connected to the hostpot.

I know that the 4.4.4 needs a custom code to create a valid spoof, i dont know how it works, i think i will add some kind of warning if the Android is >4.2

-Ismaw34

ryuragnas

3DS FC: 0173-2593-8777
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to put code into the app, that allows it to work with the recently discovered SSID? The NZ@McD1 SSID? As it still works on my International SGS3 GT-i9300 using CM11 based MarkoX89 ROM, dated 20141115, and with ArchiKernel v1.5.4 AOSP, but using the attwifi SSID with no password.

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible to put code into the app, that allows it to work with the recently discovered SSID? The NZ@McD1 SSID? As it still works on my International SGS3 GT-i9300 using CM11 based MarkoX89 ROM, dated 20141115, and with ArchiKernel v1.5.4 AOSP, but using the attwifi SSID with no password.

You can put any SSID, edit the hotspot settings, and youll be good.

-Ismaw34

Scot b

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have been using this app for awhile now and love it thank you very much!!! Is there a way to add mac addresses to the list? Id like to add a couple but couldn't figure out if it was an option.

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello, I have been using this app for awhile now and love it thank you very much!!! Is there a way to add mac addresses to the list? Id like to add a couple but couldn't figure out if it was an option.

You can add more MACs to the corresponding <sd/internal memory>/macs/macs.txt file.

Thank you for your feedback.

-Ismaw34

czerwinski76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much. A good app who works great ! :toot:

(I have tested some methods like one on windows (but my wireless USB media wasn't detected / compatible to change MAC adress), and some on my 4.4.4 android device without any results)

XionTawa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After days of frustrations with other methods (via Android and Windows), this is the only thing that worked! Thank you so much!!! :lol:

Psionatix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you so much. A good app who works great ! :toot:

(I have tested some methods like one on windows (but my wireless USB media wasn't detected / compatible to change MAC adress), and some on my 4.4.4 android device without any results)

After days of frustrations with other methods (via Android and Windows), this is the only thing that worked! Thank you so much!!! :lol:

May I ask either of you the exact process in which you set this up? I have this set up on my rooted phone, I have the connection 'open' and the SSID set to NZ@McD1 and my N3DSXL detects a nintendo zone, and my phone also has the 3ds appear as a 'connected device'. This happens when I have NO connections saved on my 3DS, and also when I have the phones hot spot saved as a connection, but in both cases I don't get any streetpasses.

Psionatix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
^ I can't even get it to detect as a nintendo zone... I can't get anything to spoof my MAC on LP :glare: I guess I'm screwed until this guy updates

Lollipop? Yeah, I'm still at 4.4.2 KitKat.

From what I've heard, these apps are only working on anything below 4.4, which is why I'm hoping that those who have it working can either actually confirm whether or not this is true.

There's so many people saying so many different things regarding what does and doesn't work at the moment it's just far too hard to distinguish anything at all.

Ismaw34

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello developer here,

AFAIK not all 4.3+ kernels are supported, they need special "magic things" that i dont know how to implement them.
The process is simple... detects if any file is inside the file locations specified, modifies the mac and starts the hotspot.
Then the process loops until you stop.
Currently only in one model i modify one binary kernel file to allow the spoof.

If i could add every model / android kernel i would add them asap.

I need some files for the examples, binaries if needed and the wifi mac used on the files, the rest is simple.

Thanks for trying out tho'.

Reactions: Psionatix

Psionatix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello developer here,

AFAIK not all 4.3+ kernels are supported, they need special "magic things" that i dont know how to implement them.
The process is simple... detects if any file is inside the file locations specified, modifies the mac and starts the hotspot.
Then the process loops until you stop.
Currently only in one model i modify one binary kernel file to allow the spoof.

If i could add every model / android kernel i would add them asap.

I need some files for the examples, binaries if needed and the wifi mac used on the files, the rest is simple.

Thanks for trying out tho'.

I see. So, even though the hotspot is detected as a Nintendo Zone, what you're saying is, the mac isn't actually being spoofed due to the phones using a different method to that which is implemented n the app?

Thanks for the insight I guess!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Still a few hours left until I can go home and play some more Stellar Blade :'( +1