Android OS on Switch Ultimate Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by LightyKD, Jan 24, 2018.

1. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    OK before someone says "here we go again", let's just make this thread the one to end them all. Obviously we have no idea on if a person or team is currently working on porting the Android OS over to Switch. What we do know is that chances are high that we see a port. For now, at least for the first few pages, we should discuss how we would like to see Android on the Switch and hopefully the more knowledgeable members of our community will chime in.

I'm hoping to see Android on Switch via something similar to a flash card. I can see a slightly longer card (yes it will need to stick out a bit further for SD card slot and Micro USB) with all the needed hardware to boot the OS. To keep things cheap I can see the card having 8 GB of storage, split, 4 (for the OS) and 4 (user accessible). On the down side, it will take a long while to get to this point. We don't even have piracy flash cards yet. On the other hand, this could be a nice compromise for people that want to keep Nintendo OS inside the Switch intact. I'd be surprised if we get a port of Android 8.0 or even its Android TV variant. I guess the standard version of 7.0 will work and users can change their launcher to suit their needs.

Another interesting idea (from another GBATemp member) would be an APK wrapper for Nintendo OS. The downside is that app management depends on Nintendo adding needed things to their UI like folders. Having a bunch of Android games blended in with Switch games would be a bit messy from a navigation POV. Obviously, no matter how android arrives on the Switch, I'm sure many of us would be happy.

ELY_M, Owenge, Fadi5555 and 5 others like this.
  2. SarCATstic

SarCATstic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2017
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Here we go again

Why do we need Android when the majority of people own a smart device anyway?

3. yardie

yardie Banned

Banned
    Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    Ultimate trash thread you mean?

4. TheZander

TheZander King of the Level 7's

Feb 1, 2008
    United States
    Level 7
    I like the idea of this thread, I'll put my two cents in on the matter to that point. I think Android OS like a lot of things is good because when you get down to core of it we are in it together. It's not about who wins and who loses as long as you played fair and had a good time that's all there is to it.

wicksand420 likes this.
  5. mikey420

mikey420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 11, 2015
    United States
    As I had said before.... no I doubt we will see this. While not impossible to happen it would be more practical and useful to just port Linux to it. The only major advantage droid os offers to Linux is the use of mobile apps which whatever Linux has plenty of software for it.

Thirty3Three likes this.
  6. tozevleal

tozevleal Probably the last VinsCool lonk clone :P

Jul 14, 2011
    Portugal
    Somewhere
    Why android on a Switch if you have already Android on the Ouya :D and it has "graphics powered by Nvidia Tegra"

NoNAND and Hopalongtom like this.
  7. yardie

yardie Banned

Banned
    Mar 27, 2016
    United States
    No Android should not get ported to the switch and it's not that easy. Without source code for the switch and drivers it won't work. It's a waste of time

And I can guarantee you that Nintendo will not release the kernel source for the switch.

Kill this crap thread

Last edited by yardie, Jan 24, 2018
    Ep8Script and reminon like this.
  8. LightyKD
    OP

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA

LOL, of course someone brings up the OUYA. There is no way in hell the OUYA can handle current high end Android games. Hell, Asphalt 8 struggled to play on it after a few updates in. The emulator support on Android alone is more than worth a port. combine that with a good launcher like "TV Launcher" and you're good to go.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  9. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    I just don't understand this obsession with putting android on the switch. There is no point imo. Everyone already has a smart phone that will run most things, and anything else (like Dolphin) would likely run much better with a proper switch homebrew port.

10. SarCATstic

SarCATstic Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 7, 2017
    United States
    Planet Earth
    Besides, by the time we get Android fully working on the Switch emulators would probably be work great and at full speed, rendering the "We can use Android for emulators" thing useless.

And unless you got another (good) reason to run Android on the Switch I just see no point...

NoNAND likes this.
  11. reminon

reminon GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2016
    United States
    let's say hypothetically android is ported..."wow...yay..". why would a flash cart be necessary? why pay to mass produce, and sell a separate device, when this hypothetical port could just be booted from an sd, using either a loader from home menu, or maybe a modified or custom recovery menu?

ELY_M and NoNAND like this.
  12. ItsTheWolf

ItsTheWolf Splatoon 2 Addict

Dec 25, 2016
    Vietnam
    This will never stop another from making another same thread again y'know.

13. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    I keep seeing random individuals say it should happen, but rarely see significant reason why.

TheCyberQuake likes this.
  14. MeowMeowMeow

MeowMeowMeow S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ

Apr 1, 2016
    Netherlands
    D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
    This. Who needs a garbage os on their switch¿ Imagine connecting the switch to pc and find out the internal storage is full of Android garbage folders. Brrr

DarthDub likes this.
  15. GomiHiko

GomiHiko Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2017
    United States
    Dude, you're on a roll with these dumb threads today
    And I really don't think that android would run on the switch since it would be very difficult to access the resources needed...

x65943 likes this.
  16. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    I mean.... I'm all for a PoC, but I see no real use other than saying "I can do this".

17. Yepi69

Yepi69 Jill-sandwiched

GBAtemp Patron
    Yepi69 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    For those who aren't aware, there are exclusive Nvidia Shield games that only run on Android with the Nvidia GPU/CPU.
    These games are PC ports.

I'm totally on board for Android on the Nintendo Switch, it can take use of its powerful GPU and run those exclusive Nvidia games as well as many Android games.
    Also, emulators.

18. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    There are like only 2 pc ports, portal and half life (can't remember if it's 1 or 2).

19. Yepi69

Yepi69 Jill-sandwiched

GBAtemp Patron
    Yepi69 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    There's Resident Evil 5, Super Meat Boy, Metal Gear, Borderlands among others.

Fadi5555 likes this.
  20. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Last I checked borderlands was only the streaming service, but I haven't checked my shield in a while.