Hacking Android OS on Switch Ultimate Discussion Thread

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK before someone says "here we go again", let's just make this thread the one to end them all. Obviously we have no idea on if a person or team is currently working on porting the Android OS over to Switch. What we do know is that chances are high that we see a port. For now, at least for the first few pages, we should discuss how we would like to see Android on the Switch and hopefully the more knowledgeable members of our community will chime in.

I'm hoping to see Android on Switch via something similar to a flash card. I can see a slightly longer card (yes it will need to stick out a bit further for SD card slot and Micro USB) with all the needed hardware to boot the OS. To keep things cheap I can see the card having 8 GB of storage, split, 4 (for the OS) and 4 (user accessible). On the down side, it will take a long while to get to this point. We don't even have piracy flash cards yet. On the other hand, this could be a nice compromise for people that want to keep Nintendo OS inside the Switch intact. I'd be surprised if we get a port of Android 8.0 or even its Android TV variant. I guess the standard version of 7.0 will work and users can change their launcher to suit their needs.

Another interesting idea (from another GBATemp member) would be an APK wrapper for Nintendo OS. The downside is that app management depends on Nintendo adding needed things to their UI like folders. Having a bunch of Android games blended in with Switch games would be a bit messy from a navigation POV. Obviously, no matter how android arrives on the Switch, I'm sure many of us would be happy.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the idea of this thread, I'll put my two cents in on the matter to that point. I think Android OS like a lot of things is good because when you get down to core of it we are in it together. It's not about who wins and who loses as long as you played fair and had a good time that's all there is to it.

Reactions: wicksand420

mikey420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I had said before.... no I doubt we will see this. While not impossible to happen it would be more practical and useful to just port Linux to it. The only major advantage droid os offers to Linux is the use of mobile apps which whatever Linux has plenty of software for it.

Reactions: Thirty3Three

yardie

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the idea of this thread, I'll put my two cents in on the matter to that point. I think Android OS like a lot of things is good because when you get down to core of it we are in it together. It's not about who wins and who loses as long as you played fair and had a good time that's all there is to it.
No Android should not get ported to the switch and it's not that easy. Without source code for the switch and drivers it won't work. It's a waste of time

And I can guarantee you that Nintendo will not release the kernel source for the switch.

Kill this crap thread

Last edited by yardie,

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why android on a Switch if you have already Android on the Ouya :D and it has "graphics powered by Nvidia Tegra"

LOL, of course someone brings up the OUYA. There is no way in hell the OUYA can handle current high end Android games. Hell, Asphalt 8 struggled to play on it after a few updates in. The emulator support on Android alone is more than worth a port. combine that with a good launcher like "TV Launcher" and you're good to go.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

SarCATstic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Besides, by the time we get Android fully working on the Switch emulators would probably be work great and at full speed, rendering the "We can use Android for emulators" thing useless.

And unless you got another (good) reason to run Android on the Switch I just see no point...

Reactions: NoNAND

reminon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK before someone says "here we go again", let's just make this thread the one to end them all. Obviously we have no idea on if a person or team is currently working on porting the Android OS over to Switch. What we do know is that chances are high that we see a port. For now, at least for the first few pages, we should discuss how we would like to see Android on the Switch and hopefully the more knowledgeable members of our community will chime in.

I'm hoping to see Android on Switch via something similar to a flash card. I can see a slightly longer card (yes it will need to stick out a bit further for SD card slot and Micro USB) with all the needed hardware to boot the OS. To keep things cheap I can see the card having 8 GB of storage, split, 4 (for the OS) and 4 (user accessible). On the down side, it will take a long while to get to this point. We don't even have piracy flash cards yet. On the other hand, this could be a nice compromise for people that want to keep Nintendo OS inside the Switch intact. I'd be surprised if we get a port of Android 8.0 or even its Android TV variant. I guess the standard version of 7.0 will work and users can change their launcher to suit their needs.

Another interesting idea (from another GBATemp member) would be an APK wrapper for Nintendo OS. The downside is that app management depends on Nintendo adding needed things to their UI like folders. Having a bunch of Android games blended in with Switch games would be a bit messy from a navigation POV. Obviously, no matter how android arrives on the Switch, I'm sure many of us would be happy.
let's say hypothetically android is ported..."wow...yay..". why would a flash cart be necessary? why pay to mass produce, and sell a separate device, when this hypothetical port could just be booted from an sd, using either a loader from home menu, or maybe a modified or custom recovery menu?

Reactions: ELY_M and NoNAND

MeowMeowMeow

S̈͊ͣ̎̍͋͟eͩ͊ͨ̂ͫ̐ͬ͟n̆ͨp͒ͪ̿̔aͤͬ̄ͩͨ͗̔iͧ̽ͤ
Trophies
D̀͌̀e̵ͧk̷u̾̂ͨ͗̾͊̚ ͥ̈ͤ̎̒̓T͊ͬ͜rͨ̌̔͂́e͂̌ͩͦ̃͜eͬͪ̄͝
XP
Country
Netherlands
I just don't understand this obsession with putting android on the switch. There is no point imo. Everyone already has a smart phone that will run most things, and anything else (like Dolphin) would likely run much better with a proper switch homebrew port.
This. Who needs a garbage os on their switch¿ Imagine connecting the switch to pc and find out the internal storage is full of Android garbage folders. Brrr

D

Deleted User

Dude, you're on a roll with these dumb threads today
And I really don't think that android would run on the switch since it would be very difficult to access the resources needed...

Reactions: x65943

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For those who aren't aware, there are exclusive Nvidia Shield games that only run on Android with the Nvidia GPU/CPU.
These games are PC ports.

I'm totally on board for Android on the Nintendo Switch, it can take use of its powerful GPU and run those exclusive Nvidia games as well as many Android games.
Also, emulators.

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those who aren't aware, there are exclusive Nvidia Shield games that only run on Android with the Nvidia GPU/CPU.
These games are PC ports.

I'm totally on board for Android on the Nintendo Switch, it can take use of its powerful GPU and run those exclusive Nvidia games as well as many Android games.
Also, emulators.
There are like only 2 pc ports, portal and half life (can't remember if it's 1 or 2).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1