Hacking An OPEN SOURCE backup launcher has been created

Lord Kanti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ok so i tried waninkokos loader, yeah yeah its leaked... boo hoo, I've already heard it, anyways i got error ret=-6 error, I'm thinking that the patchmii ios is incompatible. I don't know why or how, somebody posted that it was safer and that it was the only one to be trusted so i used it and so far nothing is working. I will try using the rev5 and post my results.

This is pretty redundant for most of you but I have seen many posts with the same errors as mine so hopefully when I work this out somebody will benefit.

UPDATE:

ok i dumped patchmii and used the cios rev 5 that comes in wad form. now the disc doesnt get identify error, it actually 'reads' however, I get the green screen of death...

I will try again after i reinstall dvdx...

UPDATE 2:

I reinstalled DVDx and now on waninkokos loader i get green screen, on gators it flickers green and then solid black frozen nothingness. anybody have any tips?

mobad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OK, for anyone with the "DVD Identify Failed" I have a fix.

I'm not sure who suggested (GBAtemp front page) that you should use the Patchmii clone but it doesn't work.

Just download WadManager 1.21 and the cIOS Waninkoko made for his backup loader and install that and use DVDx.

Then it works. (At least SMG worked)

OwlPen0r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, don't think anyone has had this problem before:

I've patched the ISO using Waninkoko's patcher, but now when I try to load the image in ImgBurn (by selecting it in the file browser) it says "Invalid or unsupported image file format!"

The original ISO burns fine but I can't test it because I don't have a modchip.

Any help please?
tongue.gif

Lord Kanti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
as long as its an iso it should work, try nero perhaps.

anyways i got lego batman to work after many trys, its very buggy when loading, can freeze, make horrid noises, etc. skip cutscenes when possible. Can't wait to see the next release of this loader.

Ciper much respect, but I think you threw us off with the patchmii comment
tongue.gif
and if it was somebody else besides ciper then same goes for you, just perhaps not as much respect
wink.gif

OwlPen0r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Lord Kanti said:

anyways i got lego batman to work after many trys, its very buggy when loading, can freeze, make horrid noises, etc. skip cutscenes when possible. Can't wait to see the next release of this loader.

tongue.gif
and if it was somebody else besides ciper then same goes for you, just perhaps not as much respect
wink.gif
Tried Roxio Media Creator (only alternative I have) and it keeps spitting the blank DVD back out at me saying its the wrong format. I've tried 4 different discs and it has kept doing it.

Foie

That one guy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OwlPen0r said:
Lord Kanti said:

tongue.gif
wink.gif
Tried Roxio Media Creator (only alternative I have) and it keeps spitting the blank DVD back out at me saying its the wrong format. I've tried 4 different discs and it has kept doing it.

I'm having the same problem. I got Fire Emblem and Mario Sluggers to work, but Medal of Honor Heroes 2 just doesn't.

But I must say, great work with the loader! It is awesome
smile.gif
I just hope we'll be able to run games at a faster speed in the future, but then again I'm not a coder, so I don't know if it's possible. (It probably is though, because many people said playing backups wasn't possible on the Wii, and look where we are)

Deozaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shdwknt said:
I had the wiiloader installed..

I took the backuploader.dol and renamed it boot.dol in the apps folder under booter

the app runs but when I tell it launch game - the text gets all blurred and all I can make out is disc id failed.

Now the disc ids where fine in the wiiloader.

What am I doing wrong>?

I was having a similar problem until I realized that I was burning DVD+Rs without setting book type to DVD-Rom. Once I burned the image with book type DVD-ROM it worked!

Deozaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To everyone getting DVD Identity Failed Errors:

As it has been mentioned already, Patchmii may not be compatible with this. You may need to use Waninkoko's cIOS for it to work.

But for me, even after changing to Waninkoko's cIOS, I was still getting the error. This is how I found the solution. In the announcement blog of DVDX, Erant wrote:

QUOTE(http://hackmii.com/2008/08/libdi-and-the-dvdx-installer/) said:
Please note that DVD+R (as opposed to DVD-R) discs will need to have their BookType set to DVD-ROM to work properly in Normal mode (if you have no modchip). PatchMii mode does not have this requirement, but requires a modchip.
In other words, burn with DVD-R media if you have it. If you are using DVD+R, then you need to set the BookType to DVD-Rom.

Also, if you have an NEC drive (like I do), it might not be able to change the BookType (also called bitsetting). Using a custom firmware might resolve this for you. It worked for me.

Use this to flash the firmware: http://binflash.cdfreaks.com/disclaimer/1/5
I used Bitsetting 1.07 firmware for my NEC ND3550A: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/NEC-ND-3550A/

Now the DVD is identified and boots on my unmodded 3.3U Wii.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
deshwasi said:
thanks djtaz. just finished downloading your zip. i have an untouched Wii (3.2U). before i get started on your pkg, is there a "best" sequence of installs you recommend that enables homebrew and this backup launcher (awesome work WiiGator) on my virgin Wii?

Hey deshwasi,

There is a step by step text file on what to do and in what order to do it - if you follow that from top to bottom it should all work fine.

Let me know how you get on.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jordan10la said:
djtaz said:
chux - i have a download in my sig that has all of the files you need and the latest iso loader with the channel installer and a how to step by step on it all for a pretty basic install from scratch.(I didnt make any of them so no credit goes my way , just made a nice easy zip with everything you need in one - and im trying to keep it up to date as things change )

You can give it a go if you like - let me know if theres anything confusing and ill change it, but a few have tried and no one ran into any issues.

Granted this is an install from scratch , u may have some strange things because u have some bits done already , but its a learning process - worth a try if you want.

There is a folder on the SD card side of the files that has apps in it and in there an ISO folder with a boot.dol and bootOriginal.dol ... the bootOriginal.dol file is the initial beta release by Waninkado so if the boot.dol file doesnt work try renaming that one and replace it with the Original one and see how you go.

let me know if you figure it all out.
That zip seems pretty good. What back up loader is that on the boot.dol Is it wiigator? I'm still yet to try any of this but I shall. Tomorrow probably.

Theres both of them in there now - WiiGators one is the boot.dol file and Waninkoko is the boot.Original.dol file

blitzer320

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I keep having an error about tools o on ubuntu when i try to compile the extract partition sorry if it has already been answered
when i start make this comes out

cc -Wall -W -Os -DLARGE_FILES -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -c extractpartition.c -o extractpartition.o
extractpartition.c: In function ‘do_partition’:
extractpartition.c:163: warning: unused variable ‘dirname’
extractpartition.c: In function ‘do_disc’:
extractpartition.c:277: warning: format ‘%d’ expects type ‘int’, but argument 5 has type ‘long long unsigned int’
extractpartition.c: At top level:
extractpartition.c:20: warning: ‘dump_partition_data’ defined but not used
extractpartition.c:21: warning: ‘max_size_to_auto_analyse’ defined but not used
extractpartition.c:22: warning: ‘uncompress_yaz0’ defined but not used
extractpartition.c:23: warning: ‘unpack_rarc’ defined but not used
cc -Wall -W -Os -DLARGE_FILES -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -c tools.c -o tools.o
tools.c:8:25: error: openssl/md5.h: No such file or directory
tools.c:9:25: error: openssl/aes.h: No such file or directory
tools.c:10:25: error: openssl/sha.h: No such file or directory
tools.c: In function ‘md5’:
tools.c:64: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘MD5’
tools.c: In function ‘sha’:
tools.c:69: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘SHA1’
tools.c: In function ‘aes_cbc_dec’:
tools.c:93: error: ‘AES_KEY’ undeclared (first use in this function)
tools.c:93: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
tools.c:93: error: for each function it appears in.)
tools.c:93: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘aes_key’
tools.c:95: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘AES_set_decrypt_key’
tools.c:95: error: ‘aes_key’ undeclared (first use in this function)
tools.c:96: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘AES_cbc_encrypt’
tools.c:96: error: ‘AES_DECRYPT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
tools.c: In function ‘aes_cbc_enc’:
tools.c:101: error: ‘AES_KEY’ undeclared (first use in this function)
tools.c:101: error: expected ‘;’ before ‘aes_key’
tools.c:103: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘AES_set_encrypt_key’
tools.c:103: error: ‘aes_key’ undeclared (first use in this function)
tools.c:104: error: ‘AES_ENCRYPT’ undeclared (first use in this function)
tools.c: In function ‘find_cert_in_chain’:
tools.c:241: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of ‘strncpy’ differ in signedness
tools.c:248: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
tools.c:260: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of ‘strcmp’ differ in signedness
tools.c:261: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of ‘strcmp’ differ in signedness
tools.c: In function ‘check_cert_chain’:
tools.c:290: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘strcmp’ differ in signedness
tools.c: In function ‘do_yaz0’:
tools.c:324: warning: unused parameter ‘in_size’
make: *** [tools.o] Error 1

Lord Kanti

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tO change the book type in imgburn, GO TO tOOLS>dRIVE>Change Book Type...

be sure to know the brand of your drive and be careful. It's a hard knock life as it is without messing up precious dvd media...

For those of you who are trying to burn an iso but the pc wont recognize the file, try installing nero or something that uses the file format and installs it to right click as well as when you insert a blank disc. I believe it is image burn thatasks me when I insert a blank disc, "would you like to burn an iso" but in a less friendly way. I cant understand how it would ask to burn an iso and then turn around and say the format is crap unless it wasnt ripped correctly to begin with. remember this:

EASY COME, EASY GO (dont forget the lyrics...)

delete the iso and download a new one from another source, dont cry, it was free and if you made the iso, be sure youre not drunk or high while making it or sleep deprived for that matter.

Be sure you have everything needed, do you need a bin, cue, rxx, or some other crazy file that may have been originally distributed?

noobwarrior7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OwlPen0r said:

I've patched the ISO using Waninkoko's patcher, but now when I try to load the image in ImgBurn (by selecting it in the file browser) it says "Invalid or unsupported image file format!"

Any help please?
tongue.gif

this is a known issue, the newest version of imgburn will load it, you are likely using 2.3.2.0 or lower as of now,
use 2.4.2.0

also, make sure you use simple directories and simple filenames...
all with no spaces or weird characters...
when you go about creating "partition.iso".

like C:\Wii\RandomWiiGame.iso
with bakup-creator and common-key in same folder

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Someone mentioned to me earlier that this file in my sig :
Wii Backup Loader .. all you need (except the wii and sd card) : http://www.iol.ie/~taz/Wii_ISO_Loader.zip
was the old file so i think my upload yesterday had a typo in the name.

I just re-uploaded it now so it has the newest versions of the ISO loaders and the Boot Loader channel - sorry if someone downloaded it earlier and itdidnt have them - all you need to do if you have downloaded this previously is replace ISO Loader folder on the SD card with the new one , and copy the new WAD file called HP-backuplauncher.dol.wad (wad folder) to your SD card and install using wad manager.

Sorry for any confusion caused.

--=ZerO=--

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
noobwarrior7 said:
OwlPen0r said:

Any help please?
tongue.gif

this is a known issue, the newest version of imgburn will load it, you are likely using 2.3.2.0 or lower as of now,
use 2.4.2.0

also, make sure you use simple directories and simple filenames...
all with no spaces or weird characters...
when you go about creating "partition.iso".

like C:\Wii\RandomWiiGame.iso
with bakup-creator and common-key in same folder

The backup-creator seems to can not produce working ISOs of some games.
e.g. Medal of Honor Heroes 2. Version 2.4.2.0 will also bring up this error message.

primeboss

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
poopdedoop said:
Hey everyone. I've been having problems with this for the past while but i got it working now.

For everyone who is having the DVD Identify Failed thing when you try and boot you need to install CIOS36_rev5-64-v1042. I installed that and now it works.

here's a link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y721SHR7

I did that and Godfather, Boom Blox, and Mario party 8 all WORK fine. But Mario Kart and Batallion Wars 2 get "dvd identify failed"

dazz159

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
OwlPen0r said:

Any help please?
tongue.gif

Alright dude i had this problem ith Resident Evil 4, i posted about it in Waninkoko FAQ thingy.
Heres my post LINK

hope this helps

poopdedoop

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
primeboss said:
poopdedoop said:
Hey everyone. I've been having problems with this for the past while but i got it working now.

For everyone who is having the DVD Identify Failed thing when you try and boot you need to install CIOS36_rev5-64-v1042. I installed that and now it works.

here's a link

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y721SHR7

I did that and Godfather, Boom Blox, and Mario party 8 all WORK fine. But Mario Kart and Batallion Wars 2 get "dvd identify failed"

i've been reading elsewhere that people are having problems with MK.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, prove it