Hacking An idea for Metroid Prime Trilogy without USB or DualLayer disc

Will you play the new Metroid Prime Trilogy game?

• Yes, and I will use the original DVD to play!!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but my Wii can't read dual layer DVDs so I'll transfer it to a USB drive

• Yes, but my Wii can't read dual layer DVDs so I'll copy it to two separate discs like this thread sh

• No, I already played these games on the GameCube

• No, I don't like Metroid

• Total voters

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
HOW TO DO THIS THING!!! steps from the guy that pulled it off, skunk123punk

Ok I'm back with good and bad news. The bad news is that I'm still downloading the game because my PC DVD reader can't read Wii discs or DL discs, much less a Wii DL disc. The good news is that skunk123punk already figured something out, so you probably won't mind me not doing any test.

But like I promised, here's some sorta guide (using the info skunk posted) to get MP1 and MP2 in a disc separate of MP3:

1- Use Trucha Signer to trucha sign the partition you'll change (in this case the MP3 partition). I'm not sure if you have to sign the other partitions.

2- If I understand well, you should replace every pak, video or audio file (I'm guessing that means replacing every file, but I don't have an iso to check
cry.gif
) in the MP3 partition with 0 kb files (this can be done by creating a notepad document and not writing anything on it) using Wiiscrubber 1.4

3- Open the new iso with Wiiscrubber 1.0, because this version doesn't support dual layer games, and will trim the game to 4.7 GB when you select "Trim"

4- Also, rs5mp3_p.dol should be replaced with rs5mp2_p.dol so that you won't get a disc error if you accidentally select MP3, but instead you will play MP2. I myself would replace it with the main.dol, so if you select MP3 it would reboot to the main menu instead of booting MP2. Again, I can't test this stuff, so don't blame me if using main.dol crashes the system XD

5- If you want to have MP3 from Trilogy in another DVD (instead of the original standalone MP3 release), then just open the original iso and replace the pak, music and video files of the MP1 and MP2 partitions with 0 kb files. Also replace rs5mp1_p.dol and rs5mp2_p.dol with rs5mp3_p.dol

Note- If you want to follow the original idea of one disc per game (which I now realize is a waste of time and DVDs) then it's the same process, but when building each game, you would replace the files in the other two game partitions with 0 kb files. Also for MP1 you would replace both rs5mp2_p.dol and rs5mp3_p.dol with the rs5mp1_p.dol file; it would be similar for MP2 and MP3 but replacing the .dol files with rs5mp2_p.dol and rs5mp3_p.dol, respectively.

So thanks a lot skunk, your posts were very informative. Also correct me if I got something wrong please I would apreciate it
smile.gif
thanks again
biggrin.gif

Fulgore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool stuff. Props to those who've helped come up with this workaround.

Also, you forgot the "Yes, but I don't want to buy any dual layer blanks"
tongue.gif

xombi-mp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I'm trying to follow all the examples from this thread, but it just isn't working out for me. Here's what I did.

I got Wii Scrubber v1.0 because that's what has been recommended. I loaded the Metroid Trilogy iso and when I right clicked on a file in the iso I saw a Save option and a Load option. The problem was that the Load option was always faded out and I could never use the Load function to replace MP3 files with 0kb files.

So I loaded the iso with Wii Scrubber v1.4 and commenced with replacing the majority of the files in the MP3 folder with a 0kb file. Once I got the size down to around 4400 Mb I decided that was probably small enough. Then I extracted the rs5fe_p.dol, which is the main menu I think, and replaced the metroid 3 dol with it. Then I closed Wii scrubber 1.4

I relaunched wii scrubber 1.0 and loaded the iso that I had been editing in 1.4. It showed that it was the right size that I had made it and all the files I had overwritten were still 00, or the empty file. I clicked the Clean and Save button, as has been instructed, and saved a the new iso. This new iso was small enough to burn to a single layer dvd and I was getting excited. After I burned it I put it in my Wii, 4.1U - cios rev13, and launched the game with BackupLauncher Gamma. The disc loaded up fine and I was able to navigate the main menu. I was getting very excited. Then I clicked on Metroid Prime 1 to launch the game and it did that half screen of green thing and took me back to the wii menu. This is what happens when I try to launch MP2 as well.

So what could I be missing? I zeroed out enough files in MP3 to fit it on a single layer dvd, I used wii scrubber 1.0 and saved the iso. I seemed to have done everything that should have made it work. Help!

xombi-mp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
micric100 said:
but doesn't this mean you'll be playing the game with no cut-scenes or audio? that sucks
No, I only deleted stuff from the MP3 folder. I'm obviously not planning on playing metroid 3 from this disc. Just MP1 and MP2 in 480p. That's the whole reason I want it on a disc, because the usb loader forces it to 408i.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Deleted?

I only can replace it. ;P

Anyways,
ISO size stays 9.71 no matter how much I replace with a 0 byte files..
Though, it shows the change on the ISO if I open it with Trucha singer / Wii scrubber. But it can't mange to change the ISO size.
frown.gif

scrappy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The games play fine from USB, cios rev13a and neogamma loader.
It is NOT true that difficulty setting is veteran only, that´s typical bullshit hearsay...

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
micric100 said:
but doesn't this mean you'll be playing the game with no cut-scenes or audio? that sucks
The point of doing this (at least for me) is to have MP1 and MP2 with full audio/video/etc on a single layer disc because my Wii can't handle Dual Layers, and to do this all the stuff from MP3 has to be deleted. So it's not like you're supposed to play MP3 without sound and video, you're not supposed to play MP3 at all from this disc you create. If you want to play MP3, you should get the original MP3 game, or take the MPTrilogy iso and "delete" everything on the MP1 and MP2 partitions, leaving MP3 intact.

vigneshkum

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wii_128 said:

Ok I'm back with good and bad news. The bad news is that I'm still downloading the game because my PC DVD reader can't read Wii discs or DL discs, much less a Wii DL disc. The good news is that skunk123punk already figured something out, so you probably won't mind me not doing any test.

But like I promised, here's some sorta guide (using the info skunk posted) to get MP1 and MP2 in a disc separate of MP3:

1- Use Trucha Signer to trucha sign the partition you'll change (in this case the MP3 partition). I'm not sure if you have to sign the other partitions.

2- If I understand well, you should replace every pak, video or audio file (I'm guessing that means replacing every file, but I don't have an iso to check
cry.gif
) in the MP3 partition with 0 kb files (this can be done by creating a notepad document and not writing anything on it) using Wiiscrubber 1.4

3- Open the new iso with Wiiscrubber 1.0, because this version doesn't support dual layer games, and will trim the game to 4.7 GB when you select "Trim"

4- Also, rs5mp3_p.dol should be replaced with rs5mp2_p.dol so that you won't get a disc error if you accidentally select MP3, but instead you will play MP2. I myself would replace it with the main.dol, so if you select MP3 it would reboot to the main menu instead of booting MP2. Again, I can't test this stuff, so don't blame me if using main.dol crashes the system XD

5- If you want to have MP3 from Trilogy in another DVD (instead of the original standalone MP3 release), then just open the original iso and replace the pak, music and video files of the MP1 and MP2 partitions with 0 kb files. Also replace rs5mp1_p.dol and rs5mp2_p.dol with rs5mp3_p.dol

Note- If you want to follow the original idea of one disc per game (which I now realize is a waste of time and DVDs) then it's the same process, but when building each game, you would replace the files in the other two game partitions with 0 kb files. Also for MP1 you would replace both rs5mp2_p.dol and rs5mp3_p.dol with the rs5mp1_p.dol file; it would be similar for MP2 and MP3 but replacing the .dol files with rs5mp2_p.dol and rs5mp3_p.dol, respectively.

So thanks a lot skunk, your posts were very informative. Also correct me if I got something wrong please I would apreciate it
smile.gif
thanks again
biggrin.gif

Nice tutorial skunk!!!

But Will Multiplayer work this time?

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The easier way to get 1 & 2 + Multiplayer on a DVD5:

1 - Load the unscrubbed DVD9 iso into Wiiscrubber 1.0
2 - Click Clear and Save ISO
3 - Patch the resulting iso to 249 with IOS Patcher 1.1
4 - Burn to DVD5
5 - Enjoy!

Tested and confirmed working with Neogamma v7 and cIOS 13b - although I'm sure it works with 14 because it's no longer dual layer. I can also confirm that there's no need to Trucha sign anything or add/delete/replace any files whatsoever unless you want to replace the MP3 dol with the one from either MP1, MP2, the menu dol, or the main dol.

davidsl_128

GBAtemp Brightsider
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Colombia
Yay that tut's better XD anyway I think people are getting this wrong skunk did the test and made it work but the tutorial was made by me, to compile the stuff in pages 3 and 4 of this thread. Of course if you want to give him credit for it since he made it work it's ok for me
laugh.gif

skunk123punk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
wii_128 said:

cry.gif

smile.gif
thanks again
biggrin.gif

Really excellent guide wii_128, Spot on.

Thanks

Skunk

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Metroid_Prime_Trilogy_USA_DVD5_1_and_2_only_Wii-iND

File size is 3.76GB. Of course it crashes when you try MP3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: im fucking motivated