Amiga

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
And I don't see what's there to laugh either

1) Compare an Amiga to a NES is a nonsense (in every aspect)
2) Compare a computer of the 80's with a console of that era is a nonsense
3) Saying this : "Unless you want to suffer through poor game design, terrible controls, horrible ports, do yourself a favor and dismiss the Amiga all together" is a nonsense (except maybe for Arcade games ported by US Gold :))

This is why it made me laugh.

The Amiga library and the library of pretty much all consoles and computers are varied just like the NES one. You will not find much good point and click or strategy games on the NES. You will not find good JRPG or Zelda like games on the Amiga. This is why I had a SNES on top of the Amiga.

Another example is dungeon crawlers. Here is the list on the amiga :

https://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/platforms/amiga/

And on NES :

https://dungeoncrawlers.org/platforms/nes/

The NES was a really bad choice for this. SNES and MD too :

https://dungeoncrawlers.org/platforms/snes/
https://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/platforms/sega-mega-drive-genesis/

If you listen the OP, you will never discover those gems. This is why I posted here.

RunningSnakes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To make things worse, many compare the Amiga to the TG16, Genesis/Mega Drive and Super Nintendo. This ridiculous comparison is not only offensive but truly idiotic.

To make a comparison with the NES and Master System would be more forgivable, but the Amiga gets smashed here as well. We are talking about gaming, not novelty!

@CrashMidnick
13,000 games is not impressive, just an example of a landfill waiting for 12,500 pieces of garbage.

I think i have played every single game you mentioned above, in fact i have been playing/testing Amiga for a solid 3 months. I am well aware of the library. This isn't my first Amiga rodeo either, it is a system very difficult to emulate properly through WiiFlow Lite plugin. I have come back to it recently and in the process of making cover art to be used using WFL.

The reality is, the Amiga is a sub-par Gaming system. I could care less what it was capable of other than gaming, that is the point of conversation. I appreciate a small portion of the massive gaming library but 85-90% was lazily done and it shows especially when playing quick action games or platformers. There is no better example of this than both First & Second Samurai, highly talked about but borderline unplayable games.

And if you are insinuating the Amiga has a (Better) gaming library than the NES? This is the same old delusional farce Commodore fans have been spilling for 4 decades. It not only is irresponsible to report false news but also a crime. This is like telling the Womens National Soccer team they can beat the 15 under boys All-Stars. Sure some of the ladies look sexy and enticing, then the games starts and the beatdown begins.

Last edited by RunningSnakes,

RunningSnakes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is the great thing about gaming in 2023. Just about everything in the past 50 years can be set up and played. Then the user/consumer can make up their own mind what is good and what is not. There is a reason why retro gaming has become so prevalent the past 15 years, Enjoyment & Creativity!

We don't need to argue about opinion, the sales figures speak for themselves. I think we can all agree on simple math...

NES/Famicom - 62 million units sold worldwide

Amiga (all editions combined) - 5 million units sold worldwide

Reactions: cheloruiz79

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is the great thing about gaming in 2023. Just about everything in the past 50 years can be set up and played. Then the user/consumer can make up their own mind what is good and what is not. There is a reason why retro gaming has become so prevalent the past 15 years, Enjoyment & Creativity!

We don't need to argue about opinion, the sales figures speak for themselves. I think we can all agree on simple math...

NES/Famicom - 62 million units sold worldwide

Amiga (all editions combined) - 5 million units sold worldwide

You sales figures does not say anything as you compare apples and bananas once again.

First this is not the same market. Secondly, don't you think that price has something to do ?

Amiga 1000 in 1985 : 1200$
NES in 1985 : 150$

Amiga 500 in 1987 : 700$
NES in 1987 : 90$

Not to say that most amiga user added a screen to their computers.

Now it seems you do not like Amiga's, it is your choice. But stop saying to people to not play its games. All devices have their pros and cons, all devices have very good exclusive games, each of us will not react the same way on a given game on a given device.

Here is my present, just for you, to conclude on that discussion on my side. Remember : only Amiga makes it possible !

Last edited by CrashMidnick,

RunningSnakes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@CrashMidnick

Ok. The price tag was 1 reason the Amiga didn't sell well. One thing not possible in those days was to pirate console (Nintendo, Sega, NEC, SNK) software, which we all know was abused for the Commodore and Sinclair.

The gaming developers for the Amiga knew this was a problem but could not do anything about it, as a result, great effort was not put forth in developing top tier quality.

I know who did thier thing... Team 17, Gremlin, Bitmap and few others made top quality games. At the end of the journey, Amiga is a taste of perfection but riddled with glaring issues for 85-90% of the gaming library.

I think dismissing the NES as an infant console is a common misconception to those who are young or never experienced the truly great library it has. If were going to compare apples to bananas, the NES is the holy grail of all gaming systems, console or computer!!! Period!

I don't dislike the Amiga, further from the truth. However, when i play so many poor efforts the Amiga has to offer compared to other systems, it really is disgraceful knowing how much power and ability were never used.

Here i leave you with text/ini files of Art Covers. These are for Wii WiiFlow plugin compatibility. Please let me know if i am missing any games that are not covered. My ignorance of Amiga must get better, but is impossible when the same 30 games are always mentioned in a 12.000 game library.

Attachments

• Amiga Images.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 19

Valken

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
More recently, @cheloruiz79, @matto21 and myself set up TinyLauncher WHDLoad with 1000 games. This setup is the best imo because the user can add/remove any game(s) they want, then scan using a real keyboard (virtual keyboad is not supported for scanning games). TinyLauncher auto-boots when opening UAE+Wii and navigation is top notch.
Just about every game i have tried (400-500) all work very well though if occasionally the user must change memory to 1mb (Worms).

I tried to configure uae-wii multiple times but a lot of games (in adf format) just do not work properly or do not work at all. Your TinyLauncher WHDLoad setup seems to achieve better results.
Can you post it, or tell me where to download it please?

Reactions: RunningSnakes

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
1) Compare an Amiga to a NES is a nonsense (in every aspect)
2) Compare a computer of the 80's with a console of that era is a nonsense
3) Saying this : "Unless you want to suffer through poor game design, terrible controls, horrible ports, do yourself a favor and dismiss the Amiga all together" is a nonsense (except maybe for Arcade games ported by US Gold :))

1 and 2: Saying "It's nonsense" and leaving it at that seems like very poor reasoning. People have been comparing games from wildy different systems for a huge variety of reasons since... well, the beginning.

Let's pick one example:

Double Dragon on Amiga and on NES are completely different beasts. The Amiga might have larger sprites, more colors and higher quality sound effects and voice clips, but the NES has actual music during gameplay and plays a bit smoother (not much because Technos loved their 30 FPS on most of their games, for some reason).

The Amiga version has multiplayer, while the NES version has an RPG-like system where your character learns new moves as your score raises, chaging how you progress and approach the game. And the level design is veeery different between both.

You get basically two different experiences by playing each one. And that's just one example. We're not talking about comparing systems, but the games themselves.

And about 3) That can be said about every system. NES/Famicom had very poor games too, just like Mega Drive, Super Nintendo, PlayStation and computers. PlayStation 2's library is, basically, made of mostly mediocre games or flatout cashgrab trash, but not many people will think about that when they talk about that system as in their mind they have the decent games.

Bad games are a constant wherever you look. Ironically the best ratio of good vs bad games would go for something like the Virtual Boy thanks to having very few games and most being actually okay.

You are missing all the other "dungeon crawlers" that the system had that we can play at the very least in english nowadays, like the Megami Tensei and Deep Dungeon series. Romhacking has been doing an invaluable service to retro gaming by making it possible to play and understand hundreds of games we never could before.

And the Super Nintendo has a fair share of such games too, like most of the Wizardry series on it, even an exclusive one with Wizardry Gaiden IV which is really, really neat. And a bunch of Megami Tensei games too. I can't really say much about Mega Drive, because I only remember Dungeon's & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun and Shining in the Darkness, and the first one is a hybrid of different genres.

But sure, certain systems usually stand out for specific genres, like the Mega Drive and PC-Engine with Shoot'em Ups, and Super Nintendo with jRPGs, for example. Which is exactly why I like exploring each system's library and try to find all sorts of games that I could enjoy, there's usually a lot more than what's on the surface.

----

As I said on my previous post, at this point we have an "infinite" amount of retro games to swim through. Each of us has their own tastes and ways to look and value things, yet talking and debating on a healthy way about game versions is fun and useful.

PS: Now that I mentioned Wizardry, I feel the need to recommend Wizardry: The Tale of the Forsaken Town on PS2. One of the most fun dungeon crawlers I've played purely based onf exploring the dungeon itself and how many events you can witness, and the battle system being quite fun with allied actions.

Last edited by Maeson,
Reactions: RunningSnakes

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
@CrashMidnick

Ok. The price tag was 1 reason the Amiga didn't sell well. One thing not possible in those days was to pirate console (Nintendo, Sega, NEC, SNK) software, which we all know was abused for the Commodore and Sinclair.

The gaming developers for the Amiga knew this was a problem but could not do anything about it, as a result, great effort was not put forth in developing top tier quality.

I know who did thier thing... Team 17, Gremlin, Bitmap and few others made top quality games. At the end of the journey, Amiga is a taste of perfection but riddled with glaring issues for 85-90% of the gaming library.

I think dismissing the NES as an infant console is a common misconception to those who are young or never experienced the truly great library it has. If were going to compare apples to bananas, the NES is the holy grail of all gaming systems, console or computer!!! Period!

I don't dislike the Amiga, further from the truth. However, when i play so many poor efforts the Amiga has to offer compared to other systems, it really is disgraceful knowing how much power and ability were never used.

Here i leave you with text/ini files of Art Covers. These are for Wii WiiFlow plugin compatibility. Please let me know if i am missing any games that are not covered. My ignorance of Amiga must get better, but is impossible when the same 30 games are always mentioned in a 12.000 game library.
The game list is quite complete for stock Amiga's, I would add those 80+ (you missed some very good ones such as AB3D2, wrath of the deamon, EVILS DOOM, LOTR, Genetic species...) :

Alien Breed 3D 2 (AGA)
Amegas
Amnios
Athanor 2 (OCS/AGA)
Barbarian Plus (AGA)
Battle Chess 2
Black viper (OCS/AGA)
Black Dawn series
Black sect
BombJack Beer edition
Center court 2 (AGA)
Combat Air Patrol
Dangerous Street (AGA)
Deep core
Denis (AGA)
Detroit (OCS/AGA)
dragons lair 1
dragons lair 2
dragons lair 3
Evils Doom (AGA)
Fighting Spirit (AGA)
Inviyya
Time Gal (OCS/AGA)
Full contact
Gem stone Legend
Genetic Species
Gloom Deluxe
Guardian (AGA)
Heart of the alien
Ikari Warriors
Indigo
Jurassic Park (OCS/AGA)
Katakis
KickOff3 (AGA)
Knightmare
lords of the realism (AGA)
Maria Renard’s Revenge
Metal Gear
MEMO (AGA)
NEONnoir
Nicky Boom 2
Nucleus
Oath
Obitus
Pinball mania
Premiere
Rampage
Road Avenger (OCS/AGA)
Rotator
Rubicon
Rygar AGA
Saint Dragon
Shaq Fu (OCS/AGA)
Smash Tennis (IDEA)
Space Ace 1
Space Ace 2
SuperC
Super Cars 2 AGA
Super Sprint (AGA)
Tiny Bubble
Tiny galaga
Tiny Invaders
Tangram
Tynius
Trolls
Turrican II AGA
UNSquadron
Wrath of the Deamon
Videokid
Violator
Whizz (AGA)
Wonderboy (ARCADE)
Xevious1200
XP8 (OCS/AGA)

Adventure of quik & silva
Dragon tiles 1
Dragon Tiles 2
Green berret
Incaman
Killing Machine
Mega twins
Mercs
Ninja spirit
Rackney
Red Zone
Slayer
Zaxxon

I did not put all PC ports such as Doom, Doom 2, W3D, Quake, Quake2, Exhumed, Duke Nukem 3D, Blood... or heavy RTG games. And of course all games from de 060/PPC era such as Wipout 2097 that the Wii will not be able to emulate.

1 and 2: Saying "It's nonsense" and leaving it at that seems like very poor reasoning. People have been comparing games from wildy different systems for a huge variety of reasons since... well, the beginning.

Let's pick one example:

Double Dragon on Amiga and on NES are completely different beasts. The Amiga might have larger sprites, more colors and higher quality sound effects and voice clips, but the NES has actual music during gameplay and plays a bit smoother (not much because Technos loved their 30 FPS on most of their games, for some reason).

The Amiga version has multiplayer, while the NES version has an RPG-like system where your character learns new moves as your score raises, chaging how you progress and approach the game. And the level design is veeery different between both.

You get basically two different experiences by playing each one. And that's just one example. We're not talking about comparing systems, but the games themselves.

And about 3) That can be said about every system. NES/Famicom had very poor games too, just like Mega Drive, Super Nintendo, PlayStation and computers. PlayStation 2's library is, basically, made of mostly mediocre games or flatout cashgrab trash, but not many people will think about that when they talk about that system as in their mind they have the decent games.

Bad games are a constant wherever you look. Ironically the best ratio of good vs bad games would go for something like the Virtual Boy thanks to having very few games and most being actually okay.

You are missing all the other "dungeon crawlers" that the system had that we can play at the very least in english nowadays, like the Megami Tensei and Deep Dungeon series. Romhacking has been doing an invaluable service to retro gaming by making it possible to play and understand hundreds of games we never could before.

And the Super Nintendo has a fair share of such games too, like most of the Wizardry series on it, even an exclusive one with Wizardry Gaiden IV which is really, really neat. And a bunch of Megami Tensei games too. I can't really say much about Mega Drive, because I only remember Dungeon's & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun and Shining in the Darkness, and the first one is a hybrid of different genres.

But sure, certain systems usually stand out for specific genres, like the Mega Drive and PC-Engine with Shoot'em Ups, and Super Nintendo with jRPGs, for example. Which is exactly why I like exploring each system's library and try to find all sorts of games that I could enjoy, there's usually a lot more than what's on the surface.

----

As I said on my previous post, at this point we have an "infinite" amount of retro games to swim through. Each of us has their own tastes and ways to look and value things, yet talking and debating on a healthy way about game versions is fun and useful.

PS: Now that I mentioned Wizardry, I feel the need to recommend Wizardry: The Tale of the Forsaken Town on PS2. One of the most fun dungeon crawlers I've played purely based onf exploring the dungeon itself and how many events you can witness, and the battle system being quite fun with allied actions.

I will repeat once again and one last time so that it will be clear (I hope) : I like to play games on each system (including the NES). so that you two understand, I have all Nintendo consoles at home and all Amiga's :) You can check my posts here I am on pretty much all Nintendo sub forum, I can send you a picture if you want to do child play. On top of that, I now the NES romset very well. FOR ME it is really bad (japanese translations or not). But this is MY opinion, respect that. I will respect yours.

But, once again, I posted here because I saw the "trash"' 1st post. I cannot let future readers to see that without saying anything. I am done with all of this now.

And yes comparing the NES to an Amiga is a nonsense, poor reasoning or not from your point of view. If it makes sense, then you will end up with this (I took the best one according to this site https://retrododo.com/best-nes-racing-games/):

RunningSnakes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Again with the game comparisons. You used a average 1984 NES racing game (while knowing full well that racing games were not the NES strongest genre by a long shot) and compared it to what is arguably the Amiga's BEST game released in 1991. Well done, you really showed me!

This is exactly my point when comparing apples to bananas!!! Face that same Amiga Lotus II game off against the REAL competitor Genesis Lotus. See what you got here? Very tough to make a case for the better game, but i give the edge to the Sega Genesis version. And lets be HONEST here, the Sega Lotus game does not check in top 10 racing games on the Genesis. That is the cold truth Amiga fanboys have been dealing with for what now?, over 30 years?

Let us not compare Super Hang-On, Super Off-Road, Road Rash, i could continue on and on...

I don't have to stand up for the NES gaming library, the game sales speak for themselves also. The Amiga would have a hard time fitting 5 games into a top 75 NES game ranking and would have 0-ZERO-0 in the top 10.

I don't know why you felt it necessary to reply to my 1st "trash" post, team Amiga isn't hiring as far as i know. What you offered to the conversation is merely a "trash" opinion with absolutely no facts presented.

Let us end our discussion by agreeing to disagree, and know the Amiga sales were not an absolute disaster but were dismal compared to Gaming consoles at the time. You and other Amiga fanboys can happily continue your love affair with the Amiga while the 97% rest of the gaming world get some solid gaming in.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Not a single thanks for the game list I gave you...

The day you will understand that the Amiga was an home computer and not only a gaming system you will grow up and you will stop talking about sales. Again, not the same market : not the same price, not the same use, not the same target, not the same softwares.

About Lotus 2, it runs on a stock 1985 Amiga 1000. The same year that the NES was put on the market. I do not care about the year it has been developed. I took the best NES (1985) racing game according to a site not written by me and compared it to one of the best Amiga (1985) racing game. It's fair.
And no Lotus 2 was not the best Amiga game in 91.

You're using many "fanboys", "team Amiga", well a haughty tone.

You and other Amiga fanboys can happily continue your love affair with the Amiga while the 97% rest of the gaming world get some solid gaming in.

Do not speak on my behalf, on my side I will play 100% of the games If I want to, I am not married to a brand.

Take a deap breath, just watch some Amiga demos with fruit juice or whatever (try to avoid coffee that said), you will feel better.

RunningSnakes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Famicom/NES was released on July 15, 1983... F1 was released in 1984...

Like i said, the "Fair" comparison is the same game released a year apart Amiga/Genesis. That doesn't fit your narrative though, posting false information and making silly game comparisons is a better idea.

You are trying your best to make a case a $1300 1985 Home Computers best racing game released in 1991 is a fair comparison to a $180 1983 Home Consoles very average racing game released in 1984. SMH

I said it before, i could care less what else the Amiga was capable of other than gaming. That is the point of conversation. I also said we need to end the discussion by agreeing to disagree which you clearly cannot accept. I sense this discussion becoming confrontational by your remarks and not getting your way or getting the last word in.

You have not contributed anything healthy to this discussion. Everything you have said since your 1st post has been negative and standoffish. Not good personable qualities sitting behind a keyboard and definitely not helping your argument on a gaming forum.

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That is the point of conversation
So explain us why should we avoid Amiga version of Flashback, Another World, Toki, Lotus trilogy (to name few of them) compared to the Genesis games or other systems ?

What's wrong with Agony, Project X, The settlers, Lemmings trilogy, Superfrog, Monkey Island in terms of gameplay ?

What's the point here ?

I do not know your definition of contributing to something and something healthy to a discution when we read this (reminder) :
there is no good reason to play Amiga games. Unless you want to suffer through poor game design, terrible controls, horrible ports, do yourself a favor and dismiss the Amiga all together.

To make a comparison with the NES and Master System would be more forgivable, but the Amiga gets smashed here as well. We are talking about gaming, not novelty!

Poor, suffer, terrible, horrible, dismiss, smashed...
I have no word to add.

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Honestly, if that's what Retrododo thinks it's the best racing for the platform, they've made a rather poor job of research... And also not a great way to make an argument.

There are more interesting options to check out. No disrespect to F1-Race as while it might look too simple for today, for its time was a very respectable attempt to bring that sort of visual trickery to the Famicom without the use of any special mapper, and one example of how important HAL Lab and Satoru Iwata were to Nintendo so early.

Anyway... Besides things more well known like the two Rad Racers, which play well and are pretty smooth, you also have more experimental and... Let's say "deeper" gameplay like Formula One - Built to Race and Taito Grand Pix - Eiko no License (which is playable in english through a fan translation).

Both games offer a rather meaty experience for 8 Bits. You go around a large map with several cities, each one has their own racing tournaments of varying difficulties and other services like shops where you can customize your car. The games have you taking licenses to take part in harder challenges, improving your vehicle and are pretty smooth playing, and hey, they also have music during gameplay, which is infinitely better than listening to the constant sound of the car engine in many, many racing games out there.

You could sort of call them CaRPGs, even. And then you have weird stuff like Eliminator Boat Duel with different gameplay styles throughout the race. And 3D Hot Rally is also pretty cute, although less smooth than the other games framerate-wise.

Of course Lotus Turbo Challenge looks nice, those 3d-ish effects where it goes through tunnels lool really slick; and seems smoother than a large number of games that you could find in systems like the Mega Drive or SNES, but the experience that it provides is a much more straightforward and simple, closer to your Outron styled-game compared to the games I mention, trying to make up for their simple visuals with different mechanics and some sort of progression system.

And there must be more out there, I do not know every single NES/Famicom racing game.

With all that said; I have to agree that RunningSnakes' comment was too generalized, even if they are his honest feelings. That is what I think is the core of the entire hangup going on here.

RunningSnakes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am very close to releasing Amiga cover art, total set will be nearly 1000 game covers. There are some games i cannot find art for and others i cannot justify the effort.

Good games and Bad games covers will be included. How well they look is always an opinion.

@CrashMidnick ...Thanks for the game list, i will include some of these covers to the set.

After this tedious process is done, i will continue to play and express my opinion on any and every gaming platform i have put time into.

Every gamer loses me when they insinuate they are using actual hardware in 2023. I laugh at this!!! Maybe people are still using the Amiga or N64 or GBA, but i highly doubt it. I own just about every console known and they are all in working order. I NEVER use any because there is no need to.

In the end, i will encourage everyone to skip the Amiga altogether, and focus their attention on the better alternatives.

1. NES - This underpowered machine has NEVER been rivaled concerning pure development. No machine can contend... Period.

2. Sega Genesis - Probably the greatest gaming machine ever in terms of library, playability. If anyone talks shit on the Genesis, they cannot be taken serious.

3. Super Nintendo - All the bells & whistles. Play Super Metroid and Link To The Past, you will forget everything else. Oh yeah, Super Punch-Out!

4. TG16 - Bonk was good, Legendary Axe was great. Ninja Spirit, Blazing Lazers...But we cannot include the great CD titles that would put a whole can of WTF on this.

Amiga is a beautiful system. It has many good games, so many poor games and the controls are downright garbage in several games. SuperFrog is not a good game by any stretch of imigination.

lwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Every gamer loses me when they insinuate they are using actual hardware in 2023. I laugh at this!!! Maybe people are still using the Amiga or N64 or GBA, but i highly doubt it. I own just about every console known and they are all in working order. I NEVER use any because there is no need to.
And I laugh at every person insinuating no-one runs real iron in this day and age. And with Amiga no emu, except maybe WinUAE these days, gives the real experience or near it giving credibility to claims on controls or whatnot.

Proud owner and user (still in working order) of Amy 1200 and 3k B-)

Last edited by lwiz,
Reactions: CrashMidnick

CrashMidnick

Trophies
XP
Country
France
And I laugh at every person insinuating no-one runs real iron in this day and age. And with Amiga no emu, except maybe WinUAE these days, gives the real experience or near it giving credibility to claims on controls or whatnot.

Proud owner and user (still in working order) of Amy 1200 and 3k B-)

3A568A21-9A30-4EE7-9059-DCF00A239CB0.jpeg

:)

• Love
Reactions: lwiz

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
FIRST, I Want to say like to say I LIKE RunningSnakes for what he said, and like him:
The AMIGA UAE on WII is outstanding because is MUCH Easier to use than UAE on PC that hasn't got the same Ergonomy, the ERGONOMY of this Emulator on PC has ALWAYS BEEN SHIT, compared it to the wii AMIGA EMU!!
THE DEV OF UAE SHOULD TAKE IN CONSIDERATION WHAT THE DEV OF THIS EMU DID, because they have something blocked somewhere toward simplicity, I Still think the pc version of UAE is not a good feeling as it should be.

Also, I must say, AMIGA had some ergonomy issue with joystick and the copies of games and many other things, it was often a pain in the neck like there was many problem with the ATARI ST too but we had to go through them! A bit like the WIIU had many problematic Ergonomic and questionnable points! ^^
Also, I'm understand the point of view, and like Tetsuo I mostly agree with Runningsnakes on a somes points.
Thing is, mostly, at that Time, many had an Amiga, and were ATTACHED to it!! IT's simple, many people had a lot of pirated games and could play it!!! Whereas it wasn't the case on NES or MASTER SYSTEM, people could have had those consoles at around the same time, but games prices were VERY High!!! I Doubt a standard kid would have had more than 20 Games at that time considering the prices, also, people were using their game AND EXPLORING it to the END!!!! IT wasn't BINGE VIDEO GAME Watching like TODAY!!! You had to be amaze to what you were seen because their was nothing else, you hadn't much choice of video game to play like today!!
I think you are less age than a couple of us, RunningSnakes, so that's why you were less Attached to your amiga than some of us responding to you , question of time, many that loved the Amiga Are around age More than 45 Now ;)
All considered, only a few games remain, some exclusives:
Hired GUN, FLOOD, Populous 1&2, Shadow of the Beast I&II&III, Dungeon Master, Supercars 2, Apydia, PRoject X, HYBRIS, Silkworm, ring of medusa, bloodmoney, Nebulus, Legend of Faerghail, Captive, Sensible world of soccer and my FAVORITE OF ALL MULTIPLAYER GAME: BOMBERMAN (with 4 Players ADAPTER) Were JEWELS at that time and still are ;)
I've played many games on it, and some games are still not as good on PC nowadays!!
Also, some DEV have developed recently quite interesting games on it (SolomonsKey2, The "New" Rygar, the "new" TinyGradius!
On the POINT&CLICK adventure Game, I think you're right they were "almost" all bad on AMIGA, with HORRIBLE Loading time, the Pc was King for this I must Admit.
I would compare the Amiga to consoles but more to WHAT THE PC WAS AT THAT TIME, OF COURSE!!

"except maybe for Arcade games ported by US Gold"
=> US GOLD People Should be ASHAMED Reading THIS!! Sooo True!

RunningSnakes VS CRASHMIDNICK, no need to have kinda fight, you are both right ;-)​

Running, don't forget, many are more "nostalgic" than you are and knew the amiga system better....This variable has a bit scrambled your omni radar conclusive mind device, nostalgia isn't a crime, but I understand your overall conclusion.
The Sega/Nintendo legacy is amazing on both side, it's more "users related" on the Amiga.
@CrashMidnick: Thanks!! I Didn't remember of Videokid!!! Ninja Spirit was better on the atari ST to me, arcade version is underrated like Dragon Breed. Like you, I owned many consoles, and I do like all like youl.Sometimes, we must admit some systems had drawbacks even at the time, even I loved my A500 and A1200 (which wasn't even fully compatible of backward compatible like the PS5 should have been with all PS XX). You remind me Luffy with the Queen Merry, makes you loyal ^^

@Maeson Yes, for me too, Wizardry: The Tale of the Forsaken Town (PS2) is one of the best dungeon crawler yet, and we don't even find anything as good nowadays? What a joke!! I like the mystery, I like this better than Zelda, question of taste I suppose, This was gaming for me!

Last edited by mrmagicm,

RunningSnakes

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@mrmagicm

Thank you for your response, well said.

I'll be turning 50 in a few weeks so in other words, i was 7 when my family got Atari 2600 and 10 for Colecovision. Christmas of '86, we kids got the NES (Best Christmas Ever) and the rest is history for me.

You are 100% correct, kids back then didn't have 50 games, 15-20 collection after a few years and a lot of trading and borrowing from friends.

I like many Amiga games but do not have nostalgia for this computer since i have never owned one, only playing through WinUAE and UAE-Wii.

There are very few gaming consoles i do not own or have owned at some point, most of those being released in the early to mid 90's. Atari Jaguar, Neo Geo, Philips CD-i, 3Do etc. At this time i was in college, then out on my own for the first time & could barely afford food let alone video games.

Definitely owning any gaming console or computer during their hey-day weighs considerably on how a person views it's legacy. The Master System is a console i have never owned and while i think it has some great games, it is not within shouting distance of the NES for me, more like a different area code or time zone.

There is the TG-16 which i got for my 17th birthday but only ever owned 3 games because they were so hard to find at the time. I loved all 3, Bonk, Legendary Axe, Keith Courage, but it wasn't until the early 2000's through emulation i got to enjoy the rest of the library. I am a fan of the TG-16 but i would never compare it to the NES, and certainly not the Genesis or SNES.

Basically the only console i played from 92-96 was the Genesis and most of the games i had were sports games (NHL 93, 95 - PGA Golf I, II, - NBA Live 95, Side Pocket, MAdden, Walsh Football) other than Road Rash II, Virtua Racing and Sonic 2. Having never owned the SNES until around 98, i immediately preferred it to the Genesis because i was playing Super Metroid, LOZ, Super Punch-Out, Chrono Trigger, F-Zero and i still have great nostalgic feelings for the SNES.

After years of neglecting the rest of the Genesis library because the N64, DC, GameCube occupied all my gaming time, i devoted a couple years of gaming to the Genesis from 07-10. I am so glad i did because i consider it to be one of the top 1-5 consoles ever and prefer it over the SNES in many ways.

In conclusion, this is all my opinion and the world would be a dreadful place if we all shared the same box of thoughts or could not express differences of opinion. I was/am not trying to fight with Crashmidnick, in fact said we should agree to disagree. I think the opinionated disagreement has already ran its course and in the end, it is all about enjoyment and personal satisfaction. We all have nostalgic pop bottle bifocals when it comes to retro gaming.

Reactions: Garcimak

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol